calorie burn credit for strength training

Options
I go to a really vicious exercise class each morning. It's focused mostly on weights and strength training (burpees, crunches, push ups, kettlebells, barbells, etc). When I log my exercises, the tracker doesn't seem to give me any "calorie credit". It seems only to do that for cardio. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    MFP's 'Strength Training' option isn't set to count calories burned, but instead keep track of your reps/weights. I opted to purchase a heart monitor (I have the Polar FT4F and it is awesome!) that way I know just how many calories I am burning while I work out. After my workout, I log the training exercises under 'Strength Training', and I created a new exercise under 'Cardio' for my Heart rate monitor, and I can enter my calories burned manually. Hope this helps. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    enter it as calisthenics, as the class is not traditional strength training
  • bgibson03
    bgibson03 Posts: 4
    Options
    You will still be able to find most of your strength exercises under cardio as well, and those ones log calories burned.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    MFP's 'Strength Training' option isn't set to count calories burned, but instead keep track of your reps/weights. I opted to purchase a heart monitor (I have the Polar FT4F and it is awesome!) that way I know just how many calories I am burning while I work out. After my workout, I log the training exercises under 'Strength Training', and I created a new exercise under 'Cardio' for my Heart rate monitor, and I can enter my calories burned manually. Hope this helps. :)

This is a really good idea. Does your HRM tell you the calories burned or do you have to calculate them?
  • erickirb
    Options

HRM's are designed to only be somewhat accurate for steady state cardio, they will be way off (most likely over) for any form of strength training.
  • ashzacher
    ashzacher Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks erickirb - I didn't know that!

@enviousdan - So far mine has been great. I generally do 75% cardio for my workout (Usually running, sometimes the elliptical), and it tracks the calories that I burn. The model I have (Polar FT4F, male version is the FT4) allows you to toggle between a few screens while you are working out: the time elapsed/time of day, your current heart rate, your calories burned, and your current heart rate in terms of where it's at in your "zone".
  • erickirb
    Options
    Thanks erickirb - I didn't know that!

Here is some good information on the ins and outs of how HRM's work and what they are good and not good at doing, the Poster is quite knowledgeable:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories?hl=HRM
  • quotonset
    quotonset Posts: 3
    Options
    thanks!
  • quotonset
    quotonset Posts: 3
    Options
    thanks. Very helpful