QUESTION for the ladies! period & weight related

Options
Sorry in advance if this is a silly question but I am seriously intrigued!

I'm on the contraception pill, but last month I decided to skip my period and continue onto a new packet.. Ever since then, i've noticed a difference on the scale.. Does skipping your period actually make you way more than usual?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well what happens when you have your period is that you shed your lining. So, logically, it makes you lose weight.

I don't know how everyone works, personally I only lose weight during and after my period (for a week or so), then I stop losing and even gain a bit before it starts again. So personally, if I didn't have a period, I'm not really sure when I would lose at all.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You LOSE during that time? Dang. I GAIN several pounds.

I've lost 11 lbs since joining MFP...about 20 in the last 4 or 5 weeks. My clothing is all lose on me and I've been walking around feeling so skinny in my clothes. Until my period. Felt like a SHIP all this past weekend!
  • tanyadolan1
    tanyadolan1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling, I have just started mine and am feeling very bloated and fell like I have put on weight
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuation in normal, especially in females and when hormones are screwy.

ETA: most likely water weight
  • like2laugh
    like2laugh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It won't really affect your weight by skipping a period. The blood and tissue lost from a period is something like 1 tsp on average. That's a very small amount.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It won't really affect your weight by skipping a period. The blood and tissue lost from a period is something like 1 tsp on average. That's a very small amount.

Oh, I wish.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    On average its actually 1-6 tablespoons of fluid plus mucus and edometrial tissue and blood clots. I haven't been on the pill for many years but I do remember a weight gain when I was on it and fluid retention is part and parcel to you monthly cycle. Hormones also play a roll. Even though I am steadily losing weight my scale fluctuates dependent on where I am in my cycle. I think my "truest" weight is taken the week after my period.
  • yumbinkbugonrox
    yumbinkbugonrox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think my "truest" weight is taken the week after my period.

Yes, I refuse to weigh or measure myself until a few days after my period finishes. It's such a psyche out, otherwise...and I'm sort of pissy anyway (no need to fuel the fire, lol).
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    The fluctuations are mostly related to fluid retention, which our bodies like to do around that time - bloating... ugh. I ALWAYS have gained 5-7 lbs when I have the cycle... regardless of sodium intake... but definitely worse if I pig out on it. While the pill isn't recommended for a lot of women over 40 years old (especially if you smoke), I have to take OCP for 3 months at a time or I have debilatating migraines that put me in bed, take narcotics to manage, miss work, etc... studies say that a moderate overall weight gain from oral contraceptive use or the depo shot is common, but not everyone gains - It can be up to around 10 pounds in a year, (this isn't the monthly bloat due to fluid retention) and most women maintain and level off after their first year of being on the pill. Check reputable sources like packaging inserts, Mayoclinic.com and ACOG information. Honestly, anyone who is dedicated to not gaining the overall weight can moderate their caloric intake and get a little extra exercise to keep the gain down...

I don't track my weight fluctuations at that TOM though... it looks stupid to be tracking along, then suddenly one week gain 7, then suddenly lose 5... I just skip that week and go back to it afterward for a more true status of whether or not I'm losing or staying on track. If I gain 2 lb and it stays past that week then I simply ate too much and didn't exercise and it's really a gain.
  • dianebiaggini
    dianebiaggini Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    On average its actually 1-6 tablespoons of fluid plus mucus and edometrial tissue and blood clots. I haven't been on the pill for many years but I do remember a weight gain when I was on it and fluid retention is part and parcel to you monthly cycle. Hormones also play a roll. Even though I am steadily losing weight my scale fluctuates dependent on where I am in my cycle. I think my "truest" weight is taken the week after my period.

Yep. Fluid retention, bloating, lack of energy, desire for all things carbohydrate and dark chocolate. As soon as my period ends I also like to weigh in. If I do so beforehand it is just adds to that depressed feeling!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'd say it was the monkeying around with the usual ebb & flow of your hormones (or rather the synthetic hormones). I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
  • Teardrop81
    Teardrop81 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think my "truest" weight is taken the week after my period.

Yes, I refuse to weigh or measure myself until a few days after my period finishes. It's such a psyche out, otherwise...and I'm sort of pissy anyway (no need to fuel the fire, lol).

Same here. I always get bloated and have water retention right before and through the first couple of days of my period. Even though I'm hormonal and sometimes want to over-indulge during that time, the best thing I can do is stay with my healthy eating and exercise. I try not to complicate things further by weighing or measuring during that time because I know what I'll see and it won't look good. I currently took a personal challenge not to weigh myself at all for at least a month, so I'll make sure when I do weigh myself, the monthly visitor is long gone!
  • MyseriMapleleaf
    MyseriMapleleaf Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Says who?!

http://myperiodblog.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/fun-menstruation-facts/
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Well what happens when you have your period is that you shed your lining. So, logically, it makes you lose weight.

I don't know how everyone works, personally I only lose weight during and after my period (for a week or so), then I stop losing and even gain a bit before it starts again. So personally, if I didn't have a period, I'm not really sure when I would lose at all.

This!

I only get two good weeks a month. I find that the two weeks before my body holds on to both water and waste and that is released during my period and the week after.
  • techgeeksquared
    techgeeksquared Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sorry in advance if this is a silly question but I am seriously intrigued!

I'm on the contraception pill, but last month I decided to skip my period and continue onto a new packet.. Ever since then, i've noticed a difference on the scale.. Does skipping your period actually make you way more than usual?

It is important to note every woman is unique but, personally I gain a little. Possibly from a little more chocolate in my diet but I notice a big difference when it comes to water retention. I literally feel bloated. I can feel it mostly in my fingers and legs. Here is a little more information from a couple reputable sources.

https://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=42321&sc=801

http://www.everydayhealth.com/pms/weight-and-your-cycle.aspx
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I just need to mention that the lining weighs about 3 oz, so that won't account for much of a loss. The weight differences are more attributable to hormones and water weight.
  • melodyjosie
    melodyjosie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies ladies.

Lately and ever since I skipped my period last month, i've noticed around a 2lbs weight gain.. I weigh usually 50kg/110lbs and if I eat healthy and drink lots of water for a week then my weight goes down to normal.. However this time it's still 2lbs higher.. So it's left me wondering if it's because i've skipped my period this one time, if its just a stubborn fluctuation.. OR actual weight gain.

I measured my waist, thigh etc and the measurements are still the same but this scale is quite confusing.

Trying not to let it drive me insane but it is! haha
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This may be impacted by your brand of birth control pills, too.

If you take the same pill every day (like ortho cyclen) -- all the pills barring the period week are the same color and it wouldn't matter if you took them backwards or randomly; order doesn't count -- then you're hormones are more stable throughout the months because you're getting the exact same level of hormones every day. If you take something with different colored pills (like ortho tri cyclen) -- your pack of pills will have two or three different colors, other than the period/placebo pills -- then your hormones change weekly (or in some cases are stable for two weeks, changing for one week, then placebo for one week). These pills have to be taken in the right order because day 17 pill is a different hormone dose than day 2 pill. Make sense?

If you skip a period with constant hormone pills (the first kind), you will get a consistent level of hormones for two straight months (really 6 weeks, but you get the idea). If you skip a period with variable hormone pills (the second kind) you will get fluctuation hormones for two months. Your hormones change leading up to the placebo pills, which you never take, and then go back to the level of after period. You're more likely to get more significant weight gain (in the form of water weight, so don't panic) with this type of birth control pills when skipping periods, simply because your hormone levels are more all-over-the-map, as they say.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wish I was losing weight like some ladies! About a day or two before I get it, I start to pack on a pound or two... Then the rest of the time, I just feel bloated. I have some minor health issues too so when I have my period, I have to really increase my calorie intake to avoid dizzy spells and fainting. Not only that, I have to limit how much I exercise. So after I'm done with my period, I'm usually like 3 pounds heavier... :sad:
  • melodyjosie
    melodyjosie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My contraceptive pill is like the first kind you talked about.