Exercising for mental health too

Options
I go to the gym before work each morning, luckily we have a gym onsite. I meet with my personal trainer two days, go to circuits one day, spin class one day and run on the other day.
I find that the exercise sets me up for the day and always puts me in a really good mood. (even though my trainer almost kills me in our sessions!)
Exercise helps me cope with a stressful job and makes me feel good about myself. Since I've been exercising regularly I hardly ever get bad moods or feel low.

Replies

• katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I dragged my butt to the gym yesterday even though I was in a crummy mood, and was about to call it quits after 15 minutes, but I pushed for another 15 and when I left I was in a seriously better mood than when I started. I'm slowly learning that even if I'm not getting that "runner's high" or whatever, I'm doing something good for myself and my brain and body thank me for it.
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Starting off the day with a sense of accomplishment is a reward that gets the day off right. We walk our dogs early in the morning during the summer and I love starting my day this way!
  • ninaereed
    ninaereed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym was one of the best things that I have ever done for my mental health. I feel the effects pretty quickly if I have to miss two many days in a row.
  • hippikris
    hippikris Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!
    I started going to the gym occasionally a few years ago to help level out my mood as I have some Bi-polar traits which I was not medicated for. I work in the Mental Health field, and I Knew, and have read all about working out and the mood. I did not do it as often as I should have so I did not have a great response at first.

Now that I have changed my diet and I go to the gym or do some sort of work out at least three times a week. I am calmer, my mood swings are not as bad. my anxiety is down, and I just feel better about life, myself and well most things.

as a mental health professional. I know first hand the benefits of healthy eating and good exercise. and personally I have seen the effects in myself. I encourage it for everyone. it is not just about looking good, But it is all about feeling good.
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I walk/run 4 miles every morning before work and I love it. It's hard to get up and get going some mornings but it makes such a difference in the way that I feel mentally and physically and I just let that motivate me on the days that it's hard to get started. It does help with stress in my life, there is no doubt abot that at all.
  • bammer4560
    bammer4560 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm finding that on the days I don't work out, I feel worse emotionally and physically. Going to the gym clears my mind. On the weekends, I go in the morning to an on-site gym. It gives me a burst of energy to get things done around the house. And I actually want to socialize more, I was beginning to become a hermit on the weekends. During the week I go after work. It helps me to get rid of the stress that's built up during the day. If you had told me 6 weeks ago that I would feel this way about the gym, I would've thought you were crazy. Going has really become something that I look forward to.
  • hippikris
    hippikris Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree that doing the gym in the morning before work, makes me feel much more productive and calm at work. and when I do not get the the gym enough I start to feel it. I am sluggish and my mood starts to drop.