convincing my girlfriend to bulk

Options
Hi peeps

Me and my girlfriend have both lost alot of weight in the last months. I am now bulking as I have finally gone sub 15% bf (w00t),, but my girlfriend has still contuinued dieting for a while now and is becoming really skinny. I am desperately trying to convince her to go on a bulk and weight lift as I think this will make her look good, but she only does cardio because she is too intimidated to lift at the gym. She is staying on 1200-1400 calories and I really dont think she is going to stop! Kinda getting a bit worried.

How can I convince her that bulking/lifting will make her look more tonned and that she wont look like a muscly bloke as she believes she will. I know she aint gonna go with just staying at maintenance as she is still looking to improve her body :/

Thanks

Replies

• bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Just let her come into it in her own time you cant force anyone to life it took me 4 months to even begin lifting little weights
    And what did it for me was meeting other ladies at the gym that life and i started working out with them
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Show her some of the "I lifted and got bulky! ZOMG" threads for proof in pictures?

Have you asked her what her ideal body looks like, and therefore what she's aiming for?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Cut her off until she agrees. That would do it for me.

(Just kidding, but high-five to you for encouraging her to eat more and lift heavy.)
  • jahowell
    jahowell Posts: 67
    Options
    I looooove lifting, so much more than cardio...she won't get bulky, that's hard to do for women, more defined and healthy, yes!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, the term bulking might scare her for now. I would try to slowly get her to increase her calories. She doesn't have to go straight into a bulk. She could eat at maintenance and lift and still get pretty good results. Once she starts seeing the results, it may be easier to convince her to bulk.

In fact, with all the lifting women, I wish more of them would post before/afters of bulking and cutting cycles.

And completely agree with Xidia. Lifting before and afters are great to show her by example. And if she's on this site, you've likely just told her. :wink:
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There are many threads and success stories of women who are lifting weights and look slim and toned. I would show her those, that's what it took to convince me that I would not bulk up while weight lifting and it is the best thing I have ever done. Good luck, hope she's receptive. :flowerforyou:
  • agent99design
    agent99design Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think saying bulk would definitely be putting her off. Lifting heavy weights won't give her huge muscles, but it will give her more tone and shape and make her feel healthier and will burn more fat too in the process.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Talk to her about HER goals and what SHE wants to see.

If she's looking into gaining muscle tone etc, then slowly transition some weight into her routine: I'm talking "barbie" weights just to get her confident in her form and comfortable being in the weight room. She'll see results and want to up the weight more and more on her own, or she'll get mad that she's not seeing results and up the weight on her own.

If she WANTS to look soft/no muscle tone (because some women don't want any muscle) than you'll have to accept that and respect her.