Eating out?

Options
Hiya,

Does anyone have any tips for adding estimated calories for food when you eat out? I try to go for best guess on the predicted ones on MFP but wonder if I am getting it ridiculously wrong. So sometimes I will go out and have a freshly made penne arrabiatta starter portion. The problem is I don't know if the restaurant starter portion is equivalent to other place portions.

How do others go about adding meals out?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I rarely use the generic entries in the database. Especially if it isn't a published value from one of the big chain restaurants. Even then, I usually modify the entry to be "as received" because the cooks don't always make it like the person in the food lab or give the same size portion. So, I may increase the size, or add some butter/oil/cheese, etc.

What I usually do is break down the dish into components and use the USDA entries to log it as much as possible. For example, if I go eat breakfast at Cracker Barrel (they don't publish nutritional info) instead of picking some entry that someone else entered, I'll enter 2 eggs, whole fried; 3 slices bacon cooked; 1 biscuit; etc.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Hi,

I see you're in the UK. The chains seem to have the best nutritional info. Some I have eaten at where I got calories online are:

Strada,
    Wagamamas
    ASK
    Bella Italia
    Pizza Express
    Wetherspoons Pubs
    Nandos

There are probably many others, I just haven't eaten there since I joined MFP.
  • elpurple
    elpurple Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Sometimes with a roast or similar I do break it down into the different parts and add them that way but for meals like pasta I struggle as the portions vary and I am terrible at gauging amounts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If it's a chain they may have an internet page with nutritional information (this is likely what is in MFP database). But, if it's a local place that is far less likely. You're only real option is to guesstimate by either entering a recipe with what you thought were the ingredients, or choosing another of the same dish from the MFP database and hope it's close; or you can just not log it.

Sticking to things like grilled fish or meat and veggie sides make it a little easier to guesstimate, but sometimes that means missing out on a local specialty. Personally, I usually just don't log foods I don't prepare.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    When I can't find the exact dish, say from the specific restaurant that I'm eating at I will usually look at the nutrition info for that same dish at another chain. If their are multiple listings I go with the average.

It isn't an exact science, but it is better than nothing. Especially since I can't take measuring cups and food scales into the restaurant. Or...can i? ;)
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Best places for eating out seem to be Subway, McDonald's, Sumo Salad, Pizza Hut and Dominoes. However, they also happen to be bad places to eat as well if you choose the wrong things! Best idea is to know where you are going before you go and plan what you will eat beforehand. Here is a short list of reliable foods:

Nandos
    Classic chicken wrap no Mayo

Subway
    All salads
    Veggie delight
    Ham
    Chicken teriyaki wrap

Dominoes
    GF margarita
    GF simply cheese
    GF vegorama
    GF capriosa