Gained 20 Pounds Back

Options
Hi everyone. This is a sad story, but I need to hold myself accountable. I was MIA from MFP for a couple of months. During that time, I ate horribly. No good excuses for that. I also gained 20 of the 100+ pounds I've lost, back. I was avoiding the scale and finally got on this morning. I'm in tears while I'm writing this. I'm extremely disappointed in myself and embarrassed. I feel disgusting. I haven't done so bad with exercising, been trying to walk as much as possible, but I can certainly up that a notch as well. I feel motivated at the moment. Decided to fast today (just drinking water and tea) and then I'll be back at calorie counting tomorrow. Has anyone gained this much weight back and been successful at losing it again? I'm so discouraged, I guess I just want to hear from people who have been in the same boat. Any motivating tips/comments/encouragement are welcome. I desperately need them.

Replies

• daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Of course its upsetting that you've gained 20 pounds back....but you've got to look at the big picture, you lost over 100, don't forget that and you also caught it before you gained more. Kudos to you for that! You did this once and you can and will do it again :) Take a deep breath, smile and go back to doing what you know works :)
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This is a sad story, but I need to hold myself accountable. I was MIA from MFP for a couple of months. During that time, I ate horribly. No good excuses for that. I also gained 20 of the 100+ pounds I've lost, back. I was avoiding the scale and finally got on this morning. I'm in tears while I'm writing this. I'm extremely disappointed in myself and embarrassed. I feel disgusting. I haven't done so bad with exercising, been trying to walk as much as possible, but I can certainly up that a notch as well. I feel motivated at the moment. Decided to fast today (just drinking water and tea) and then I'll be back at calorie counting tomorrow. Has anyone gained this much weight back and been successful at losing it again? I'm so discouraged, I guess I just want to hear from people who have been in the same boat. Any motivating tips/comments/encouragement are welcome. I desperately need them.

I gained exactly 20 pounds from Christmas to May. I still have 1 measly pound to lose to get back to Christmas weight.

Don't get discouraged. It'll happen, just brush yourself off and run with that motivation you just found. The 20 will come off again, and then some. :)
  • amberpparsons
    Options
    I was the same way. I had lost 30lbs on MFP and quit for about 6 months (I met a man and got engaged, they always told me love would do it to me lol) and gained 15lbs! I was devestated! However, just last week I started MFP back. I have been running 1 mile a day and walking 1/2 mile at night along with doing crunches and push-ups. I lost 4lbs last week. It is all about your mind set. You can do it! I BELIEVE IN YOU! :)
  • racbergs
    racbergs Posts: 72
    Options
    Same here... I've been MIA since December :/ and gained 20 lbs... But I'm on day 3 of being back and I'm doing great so far! lost 5 pounds already!!!! I've given myself a deadline to lose the rest of the weight so that I can hold myself accountable :) here's my blog http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/racbergs, it explains the challenge I've set for myself!
  • strick1982
    strick1982 Posts: 75
    Options
    What's done is done. Dust yourself off and get back on track. Don't punish yourself by fasting today. Re-tart your weight loss journey today.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'll bet most people have gained weight they've lost. I certainly have. So the good news is that you're taking action. Just don't do anything extreme. Do what works and is reasonable. I'm glad you got your cry out of the way, so now you can focus on your fitness and nutrition plan. And celebrate that today you're taking steps to improve yourself.

And congrats on your overall progress. I have a way to go to hit the total loss you've accomplished. You inspire me!!
  • JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been back in for a week now. I started mfp in December 2011 and by March 2012 I was down 30lbs. I'm sad to say I gained it all back PLUS some. I just gave up for awhile but, I finally feel motivated and since eating better for the last week I've been feeling better and have much more energy.
    If you start today than you won't gain any more and will probably start losing pretty quickly at first once again. I'm not a big fan of fasting. I tried it before and it just made me hungrier and I ended up over eating. If it works for you that's great, but just keep your expectations real and simple do you stay with it. I'm sending you a friend request. Most of my old pals are MIA and I could use some new friends who are motivated like me.
  • sambernardo
    sambernardo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I gained 15 pounds back in a month. It's crazy how fast it can pack on. You just have to remember its a lifestyle not a diet. Keep your head up and keep going.
  • mrscewinters
    mrscewinters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I read this last week. Set backs are gifts. It's an opportunity to look at: what I want, why I want it, a plan of how to do it, and how far I have come. It also shows us how to cope better next time, and to realize there will probably be a next time, and I will get through it too. (Linda Spangle is who I read)
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I yo-yoed three times before keeping the weight off for more than 4 years. I think the key is really paying attention. Don't stop watching your body (and sometimes the scale) just because you are at a healthy weight. It's scary easy to put it back on...
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I gained about 10lbs back after my gallbladder removal because I couldn't eat fast food at all before. And with it out I could eat whatever again! So I enjoyed a couple months of all the food that I hadn't been able to eat in over a year! Its all a journey though, glad to have you back and good luck!
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    Oh yeah, I started MFP last August...I think I lost about 15 lbs and went MIA....then I came back I think in December 2012 and lost the 15lbs or so I gained back....then went MIA AGAIN until May and been on ever since!!!!! Right now, I am at a horrible plateau. Usually a month in for me I go at a stand still....my body starts fluctuating really bad, and I end up giving up....trying to still work through this....it's discouraging!!!! But what's the alternative? Going back?
  • blessedmom2three
    blessedmom2three Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I"ve gained 60 lbs back, so don't feel bad! I just quit doing what I was doing and ignored everything! Now, I feel horrible and disgusting. But, as of yesterday, I am back on track. We CAN do this! Good luck!
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 that I loss and then I added an extra 4 pounds(in around 8 months) , now I'm back and is frustrating starting again and think about where I could have been if I had continue. But the past is the past , now is time to work for the future.

Now I know what not to do .
  • rlkilgo
    rlkilgo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Of course its upsetting that you've gained 20 pounds back....but you've got to look at the big picture, you lost over 100, don't forget that and you also caught it before you gained more. Kudos to you for that! You did this once and you can and will do it again :) Take a deep breath, smile and go back to doing what you know works :)

What she said!!! :smile: It's not weightloss.....it's a lifestyle change you have made. You are wonderful and precious and have made an inspiring change to your life. You know what to do now. God bless you on your journey.

Rachel in Alabama
  • dshamilt
    dshamilt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is so easy to gain the weight back, as we forget how very few calories we actually need. You will lose it; just concentrate of get the nutrition you need to stay alert, maintain muscle mass, and stay healthy. I learned the hard way that counting calories and limiting carbs and sugars on a daily basis is the only way within our fast food/huge portion society to maintain a healthy weight. Especially as I have grown older, it is a constant vigil. Do not mistake thirst for hunger. That is also something I have had to learn.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I also gained back 20, but I'd only lost 25. I too am back on the wagon now. We can do this!
  • rlkilgo
    rlkilgo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You are so right!!

"Don't mistake thirst for hunger"......I have learned this is very true.

Quoted from dshamilt
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Don't live in the past. Draw a line under your mistake and move on. The fact is you have lost over 100lbs which is an astonishing acheivement! and you should just let that thought motivate you.

You cannot change what you did the past few weeks, but you can learn from your mistakes and lose that weight again! You can do it!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind you aren't starting from the same point...you still have a loss of 80 pounds. That's terrific!

Here's my suggestion. This time before you get too far into your weight loss journey, spend some time developing a solid plan for maintenance. What will your maintenance strategy be? Will you still log into MFP daily after you've reached your goal weight/size? (And you WILL reach it!) What will be your maintenance exercise plan? How are you going to avoid the triggers that many of us face that lead to overeating and putting the weight back on?

I understand that some of this can't be tested and fine tuned until you are in maintenance. But I truly believe having a maintenance plan is vital. It took me a year to lose my weight and this week I'm entering my second year of maintenance. It's a great feeling and I'm confident I've beaten the yo-yo syndrome. You can too!

Best Wishes!