Welcoming myself!

jpramos584
jpramos584 Posts: 14
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hello!
My name is Jennifer and I just started my fitness pal today! I am 24 years old currently living in Wisconsin but originally from New York. I live with my fiance and my new baby daughter who will be 3 months old later this month! I want to be healthy and lose weight for my future and my family. I want to set a good example for my daughter.
I have been overweight my entire life and now I just reached the point of obese according to my BMI. I don't want to go any further than that. It's time to take action and change all that.
I want to be very active and learn to cook and bake more through this program as well. Down the road, I want to be able to do triathlons and help others in how to cook and bake healthy for themselves and their families.
I am currently nursing my daughter only and I'm also curious since there isn't a way to add onto the extra calories I need for nursing, how do I add onto my current calorie intake to include nursing?

Replies

• jpramos584
    Hello!
    My name is Jennifer and I just started my fitness pal today! I am 24 years old currently living in Wisconsin but originally from New York. I live with my fiance and my new baby daughter who will be 3 months old later this month! I want to be healthy and lose weight for my future and my family. I want to set a good example for my daughter.
    I have been overweight my entire life and now I just reached the point of obese according to my BMI. I don't want to go any further than that. It's time to take action and change all that.
    I want to be very active and learn to cook and bake more through this program as well. Down the road, I want to be able to do triathlons and help others in how to cook and bake healthy for themselves and their families.
    I am currently nursing my daughter only and I'm also curious since there isn't a way to add onto the extra calories I need for nursing, how do I add onto my current calorie intake to include nursing?
  • mramig
    mramig Posts: 26 Member
    welcome!

this is a great site! and congrats on the new addition to your family! =)
  • jpramos584
    Thank you!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Too funny, this is the second time tonight this question has been asked!! :wink:
    When you're breastfeeding the actual number depends on your baby and your body, but when you're exclusively breastfeeding you should add 350-550 cals a day to your target. I'm not sure if you can put this in manually or whether you just have to make sure to go OVER by that much every day. Just make sure they're very high quality calories.

AND, particularly since your baby is so young, don't be surprised if your body is more resistant than most to losing weight. At this point in the game it is biologically programmed to hang on to EVERYTHING in case of famine for the protection of your daughter. But, working out will bring *some* results, particularly muscle tone (more muscle mass burns more calories at rest!) and cardiovascular fitness.

I'm a pre/post natal personal trainer and birth doula by training (currently doing neither as I have a young family as well!) so I have some education on this!!

Welcome to MFP - you'll LOVE it here. I've been here almost 4 weeks and it's changed my life.
  • jpramos584
    Thank you for the tips!
    I would love to do the prenatal/post trainer and doula one day. How did you get into that?
This discussion has been closed.