We're talkin inches, not pounds!

Options
When I think about my goals, I think of how many inches I would like to lose, not pounds.

This is how I measure out:

Female
5'8"
medium build
36D bust
40" midsection (the widest part, around my love handles and bellybutton)

I'm not fat by any means, but I have fat and feel uncomfortable wearing any fitted shirts.

Who else is out there with me? What's your goal?

Also, do you think it's nuts to try and lose 3 inches from my midsection in 7 weeks? That would put me at Labor Day weekend.

Thanks!

Replies

• chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think to lose an inch, you generally have to lose 3-4 pounds, so 9-12 pounds in 7 weeks isn't crazy, just ambitious. I finally measured myself the other day, because I'm doing some strength training so only counting pounds lost might be discouraging. I'm also 5'8" and 40" around my widest. But I have way smaller boobs :P
  • helenlp83
    helenlp83 Posts: 67
    Options
    I opened this link as I thought it would be a great way to track loss. I've come off of weight watchers because I took up running and found it was too restrictive. Since running I haven't lost any weight but have lost a dress size where my shape has changed. Although previously mentioned losing weight to lose inches is correct you can also lose inches and stay the same weight. Try changing up your exercise a bit and you can do it!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm on the inches bandwagon, too. I would like to overall lose 5" at the waist and maybe 3-4 from my hips. I'm also busty so I feel that carrying so much extra weight in my midsection really makes me look shapeless and larger than I am. I started a regular strength training and cardio routine 4 weeks ago (last week exercise was minimal being on vacation with my inlays) but in the first three weeks, I lost over 4" overall even though my scale didn't budge.
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    I think to lose an inch, you generally have to lose 3-4 pounds, so 9-12 pounds in 7 weeks isn't crazy, just ambitious. I finally measured myself the other day, because I'm doing some strength training so only counting pounds lost might be discouraging. I'm also 5'8" and 40" around my widest. But I have way smaller boobs :P

How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking? What body build do you have?
    I opened this link as I thought it would be a great way to track loss. I've come off of weight watchers because I took up running and found it was too restrictive. Since running I haven't lost any weight but have lost a dress size where my shape has changed. Although previously mentioned losing weight to lose inches is correct you can also lose inches and stay the same weight. Try changing up your exercise a bit and you can do it!

Thank you for the encouragement! Any ideas on some ways to change up my workouts? I never really do the same workout two days in a row... but I always start off with 25-30 minutes of cardio (usually running, but I think I'm getting a bit of compartment syndrome in my legs, so I may have to bike or do the elliptical) then I move to either upper body or lower body strength training and TRX core workouts! One of my favorite things that I try to do every time is the rope (the one that you slam down). It really gets your heart racing and your arms burning!
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    I'm on the inches bandwagon, too. I would like to overall lose 5" at the waist and maybe 3-4 from my hips. I'm also busty so I feel that carrying so much extra weight in my midsection really makes me look shapeless and larger than I am. I started a regular strength training and cardio routine 4 weeks ago (last week exercise was minimal being on vacation with my inlays) but in the first three weeks, I lost over 4" overall even though my scale didn't budge.

That's awesome!! How much did you lose on your midsection alone?
  • femmefae
    femmefae Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! Now that I'm near "goal weight" while I still like the number, I'd much rather lose inches than pounds.

My stats are:
    -Female
    -4'10"
    -Large build
    -34E/36DDD bust
    -27" waist (29" in pooch area :tongue:)
    -36" hips

I would ideally like to be 35/36" bust, 24-25" waist, 35"/36" hips. I'm doing HIIT every other day, triathlon training, lifting 3-4x a week, and yoga/pilates to try and tone up :)
  • daniellerusbult1
    Options
    I know what you mean! Now that I'm near "goal weight" while I still like the number, I'd much rather lose inches than pounds.

My stats are:
    -Female
    -4'10"
    -Large build
    -34E/36DDD bust
    -27" waist (29" in pooch area :tongue:)
    -36" hips

I would ideally like to be 35/36" bust, 24-25" waist, 35"/36" hips. I'm doing HIIT every other day, triathlon training, lifting 3-4x a week, and yoga/pilates to try and tone up :)

How long have you been on that routine? Have you seen results?

Good luck to ya!