Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What am I doing wrong?

I've been basing my calories on my BMR, because my exercise is sporadic at best. There were three weeks last month when I had gained weight after upping my calories, but when I dropped them two weeks ago I lost weight again. Now this week I've gained again! What am I doing wrong? I feel like such a failure :( I had one goal for the week, and I blew it.

Replies

• BoxerLover96
    BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
    Your body may be retaining water...are you drinking enough water? At least 8 - 8oz glasses...
  • Trekkie72
    Trekkie72 Posts: 2
    Most days I get more than enough water. But I've been low on water and lost weight as well. Ugh, it's so frustrating..
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    I know 2 weeks seems like a long time, but it's just not long enough to determine if something is working or not. Eating at your BMR will not cause you to gain fat. If anything it was waste storage in your bowels and sodium from the extra grams of food.

If you are gaining weight eating at your BMR, you either calculated it incorrectly or you need to see a doctor, this is not normal.
  • auntmeg
    auntmeg Posts: 4 Member
    Here is the good news...you are not alone on this one. AND you recognize you need to find a change to keep progressing forward. The not so great news is at our age our metabolism is slowing down AND our hormones are screwing up. It can wreck havoc on our efforts. Keeping your daily log and having determination is your KEY! I have found that I have to change my plan every couple of months even to work on maintaining. Beginning of the year I lost too much and was told to gain back 5-10 lbs. I ended up gaining back 15. Doesn't sound bad...I know but I have been struggling the past month to take off that 5 lbs I gained back beyond what I wanted to. What I am currently doing to do that:

I went to a site called Free Dieting (http://www.freedieting.com/). I think for me at least their BMR calculator is more accurate and I have been more successful. There is an option called Calories Needed. You put your info in and it will give you 3 things, your BMR calories needed, calories needed for fat loss and calories needed for extreme fat loss. It then has an option for a zigzag plan. You trick your body by eating different levels of calories on different days (but still come out with less calories at the end of the week). This one has worked for me because I know from experience that my body learns a calorie/exercise routine in 1-2 months and I stop making progress. This plan 'tricks' your body into thinking you you are doing something really different and you aren't.

I still do all my logging on myfitnesspal...but just make a note to myself what that days calorie goal is and ignore my fitness pal's.

Hang in there. You are not alone. Weight loss and maintenance is a lifestyle change. You will WIN in the long run!