Gained 20 Pounds Back

Options
2»

Replies

• rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Can I just say....don't "fast" as a punishment. I see this on MFP all the time. Call it what you will, but "I gained weight so I'm not eating today" is just the same as standing in the mirror and telling yourself how ugly you are.

You need food and calories to function. Yes, you ate more than you needed for a time and stored up some fat. Fine. So to use that up, you need to eat a bit less than you need and your body will burn it off again. But why starve yourself, have a headache and a bad mood and make sure you are totally miserable? That just sets you up to fail.

Love yourself first. If beating yourself up caused permanent weight loss, we'd all be skinny.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It happens. Everyone needs a break and as themedalist said, you aren't starting from the same point. You know what it takes to lose the weight. I'd just consider this a minor setback and now that you're motivated again, you'll drop those 20lbs with no problem.
  • teresab101
    teresab101 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump for later: smile:
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Reading these comments really help!! I AM in a really bad mood today. Not sure if it's because I haven't eaten anything or because I found out how much I've gained (or combination of both). Either way, I'll have a salad for lunch. Thanks again!!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The thing that you have to remember is the fact that you've lost 100 pounds before! That is a great accomplishment, and you proved to yourself that you can make the proper adjustments to make a major positive impact on your life.

Right now, you feel discouraged, but cut yourself some slack. This is a lifelong process, and your weight will go up and down. Just remind yourself that you know what to do, take a breath, and do it. Baby steps girl!
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You lost it once and you'll lose it again. You're very dedicated so I know it's only a matter of time once you set your mind on this new goal. You can do it!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I had lost 74 pounds over about two years. Then, I went back to school (for my Ph.D.) last fall, while continuing to work full-time. I gained 34 pounds back in less than a year. I'm still struggling to get moving again.

It is discouraging, it is hard (harder now, for me, since I don't have the time or energy that I used to) but, on the positive side, we do know what needs to be done, we know what worked for us before, and we know what our pitfalls are. We just need to refocus and recommit.

Obviously, I'm saying this all as much for myself as I am for you.... but what the heck. A lot of us are in this situation, right? And most of us can get out of it. So let's do it!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Do salads and fasting work for you? They make me lose hair, feel exhausted and be hungry all the time. I know we're all different. I'm a carb addict and the low-carb high-protein lifestyle helps me kick cravings. Have you tried protein shakes to see if they fill you up and make you feel better?
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I hear ya lady. I've gained back 20 pounds over the past 2 years that I had originally lost. It sucks and I have beat myself up for it to the point where I am in a slump.

The GOOD NEWS IS that we lost it before so we can lose it again. :happy: