Looking for new insight into what I may be doing wrong!

Options
nmn2
nmn2 Posts: 123 Member
HI!! I joined mfp about 9 months ago but I only really put my heart into it the beginning of January so we'll say 6 months! I have only lost 10 pounds. I'm not complaining, that's better than nothing but I've been looking back through my food diary and my fitbit reports and I average a deficit of about 5,000 calories per week. Sometimes more sometimes slightly less. Shouldn't I be losing? I have not had a perfect diet but I have had a significantly improved one and I have been doing great with my exercise!! That alone I feel like I should be getting somewhere but the scale just won't budge and no I am not feeling different in my clothes :( I have to say the only reason I have not given up is because I truly feel better physically, I have so much more ENERGY! That is the only area where I can tell a difference. I feel good and I can do so much more exercise than I could 6 months ago. I'm still working on my mentality and believing I can do this and maintain it and I think seeing physical changes is a big part of that. I'm not seeing a better body so it's hard to keep my head positive! I still feel very judged by people in my life I can't cut out even though I'd like to. Everyone knows I'm working out and trying to lose and be healthy but physically I have nothing to show for it. I feel like a few of these people are like, "yah right fatty quit trying to act like you're going to the gym, look at yourself clearly your not!"

I would love to hear your comments (kind constructive comments only) and thoughts!

My ultimate goal is to be fit and healthy not necessarily skinny and be a great example for my kids!

Starting Weight: 203 pounds
Current Weight: 193-196 pounds
Goal Weight: 175 pounds and we'll see how I look and feel

I'm 5'7" pear shaped 29 year old female. Stay at home mom of 2 kids :) I've been eating between 1400-1800 calories a day!

Thank you all!! :wink:

Replies

• Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises do you do? Do you weigh your food on a scale?
  • nmn2
    Options
    Oh! I should probably add I have not had a loss since APRIL!!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition....
    Your calories in are more than your calories out.
  • nmn2
    Options
    What kind of exercises do you do? Do you weigh your food on a scale?

Mainly walking and a lot of it!! Usually pushing my heavy double stroller with 75 pounds worth of kids in it. Either the treadmill at the gym or in my neighborhood. 3-4 miles per hour on an incline for at least 45 minutes and I've been doing that every day. The 30 minute circuit at planet fitness 2- 3 times a week although I have not been in a week due to circumstances out of my control but I just started 30 Day Shred at home to replace it. I just completed my 5th day. I do use a food scale and have been measuring and logging everything including my tablespoon of coffee creamer even when it's just a couple of bites off my kids plate to make sure it's not too hot.
  • nmn2
    Options

How so? I'm eating a 1800 cals on a bad day and my fitbit says I'm burning 2200-2700 each day depending on my activity that day
  • nomeejerome
    Options

How so? I'm eating a 1800 cals on a bad day and my fitbit says I'm burning 2200-2700 each day depending on my activity that day

Is there a possibility that you are overestimating your calories? Do you weigh everything and log literally every single morsel that you eat?
  • nomeejerome
    Options
    Or is it possible your deficit is too aggressive?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your food diary, there are a lot of unanswered questions
  • mom413bike
    mom413bike Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a dr and had your thyroid levels checked?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You could open up your diary. People here can give great advice if they can see the whole picture.

At a guess, I'd say you're simply miscalculating calories somewhere. Food labels are off sometimes, too

Also, have you been doing the same exercise for a long time? Maybe it's time to change your exercise routine.

Just to tell you something that worked for me: when I was heavier and needed to switch up my diet when I got kinda bored and hit a plateau, I added more raw food. Like raw "spaghetti" made out of fresh tomatoes and spiral-cut zucchini. I didn't really change my overall calories throughout the day, just switched up some recipes. (Looking back, I guess you'd say I cut out a couple servings of bread and replaced it with the same amount of calories in raw food.)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Hmmm. Maybe you're not eating enough. If you're a little off on these numbers, then you might have more than a 1000 calorie deficit per day. I've always found a deficit greater than 1000 calories is counterproductive. 750 deficit is the most I'd ever recommend to anyone who is less than 50# or so overweight.
  • dsanford55
    dsanford55 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on making the effort and staying with it. It takes a lot of courage to keep going when the scale is not cooperating. My best guess is that you are consuming too many calories but it's hard to tell without seeing your diary. Also, a lot has to do with what kind of foods are making up your daily total. Example...I have a friend who is only eating 1200 calories a day and is not losing. Sometimes 260 of that total is a regular coke and the rest is frozen lean cuisine etc. My trainer cautions me to make sure that I am eating "clean" everyday. My best advice is to make a doctor's appointment and let a professional review what you have been doing. It would be smart to make sure you don't have any medical issues that are preventing you from losing. Good Luck and bravo for trying!