Meeting Calorie Goals

Options
I have been focusing on eating better for the past month and I'm losing weight. Is it a problem if I don't get up to my calorie goal. I currently weigh just under 225 and according to MFP I should be taking in around 1840. I am usually at least 300-400 under, sometimes more than that, and I'm not talking about the added exercise calories either.

I have read that you aren't supposed to cut back too much too soon because your body will go into crisis mode and start storing fat, but I feel full all day except late in the evenings. I have dramatically increased my fiber intake and I suspect that is the reason that I have the full feeling. I want to lose weight the right way, but I don't want to keep eating when I feel stuffed.

Is consuming ~1400 calories per day bad for me?

Replies

• blondie321
    Options
    If you're listening to your body, and eating when you're hungry and stopping when you're full, you're getting enough.
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    I know the answer on this runs the gamut and I have heard all the starvation mode stuff too, but I too am eating less than recommended and as long as I am not hungry (and I have not been) I am sticking with it.

I am at 1200 calories a day and have lost 9 pounds in almost 3 weeks, so perhaps I will have to up it a bit, but it has been wonderful being in control of portions and trying to make healthier choices too. My next step is to get a blender and start making fruit/veggie smoothies.

1766700.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its usually around 1200 before your body would go into starvation mode, from what you posted I think you should be fine. I usually eat when I was hungry
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    That your body will go into starvation mode at 1200 calories is not true. "Starvation mode" occurs when you eat less than half of your allotted calories (BMR) for a prolonged period of time.

I completely agree with both qwho and blondie321. If you are eating when hungry and eating healthy and not eating when you're not hungry, your body is fine and will do just fine with the calories you're giving it. If you start to get dizzy or don't have enough energy to get through a workout, you probably need to up your calorie intake. Trust your body, it will tell you what it needs. There is no general rule for anyone, we are all different.
  • lizmccl
    lizmccl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I forgot where I read this but starvation mode occurs typically after about a month of not getting enough calories... I'm doing 1200 calorie diet... I barely ever hit 1200 after exercise.... In the same article in stated that as long your not tall or a man you can safely go a little under 1200.... I'm a 5'3" women.... lol
    I also read about a diet where you stick to it for 3 days then kick the calories up slightly and just repeat this.... It confuses your body out of going into starvation mode.... About once a week to every other week I do a day where I kick my calories up to 1400.... I've lost 4lbs in the 4 weeks I've been on here and 4 lbs the week before I started.... I've noticed for me if I had a day where my carb goal went over I would have gained a little weight from that day!!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not so much that your body will store fat (otherwise, anorexics would be fat!), but your metabolism will slow down and you will have to eat less and less to lose weight or maintain a loss. You want to rev your metabolism with fuel.

That said, I have no idea what the proper calories are for you. MFP has mine lower than I think they need to be, but everyone is different. And I don't know that 1,500 calories at your weight is so low that it will cause problems. You might want to talk to a doctor about it.
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    That your body will go into starvation mode at 1200 calories is not true. "Starvation mode" occurs when you eat less than half of your allotted calories (BMR) for a prolonged period of time.

I completely agree with both qwho and blondie321. If you are eating when hungry and eating healthy and not eating when you're not hungry, your body is fine and will do just fine with the calories you're giving it. If you start to get dizzy or don't have enough energy to get through a workout, you probably need to up your calorie intake. Trust your body, it will tell you what it needs. There is no general rule for anyone, we are all different.

I can support this. I've found studies that accepted the above statement that ""Starvation mode" occurs when you eat less than half of your allotted calories (BMR) for a prolonged period of time. "
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    Glad to hear that Robin, as I am tall (5' 11") and eating 1200 calories a day and satisfied. I am steadily losing weight and feeling great, the weight loss is coming from cutting portion sizes drastically, which were out of control.

1766700.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods