Vitamin B12 injections

Options
Does anyone know if these work? I googgled it and they said that there is no scientific fact that it supports weight loss. Someone I know used to take them, and she ended up losing a lot! I was just curious....

Replies

• Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've only ever heard of people getting injections if they're deficient in B12. From my understanding (and admittedly I am not a nutritionist, dietitian, or medical doctor) it's particularly important for preserving brain functioning as we age. I thought weight loss was actually an indication of B12 deficiency. Maybe your friend lost weight because deficiency can make you tired, and therefore less able to exercise, so the injections helped with energy levels? If you wanted to test out the benefits of taking B12 without getting the injections, you could try taking a vitamin. I'm vegan, so I take a multi with B12 every day, and I take an additional sub-lingual B12 tablet once a week. I also eat and drink B12 fortified products, such as plant milk and nutritional yeast. Do you suspect deficiency? If so, you should probably have your levels tested.
  • alanna81
    alanna81 Posts: 23
    Options
    The vitamin bottle says it boosts metabolism and energy... I take B Complex b/c I normally have very little energy. They seem to help, but I also take C and a multi... don't know which helps more, but I take them all at once.
  • ChelseaM8726
    ChelseaM8726 Posts: 117
    Options
    I've only ever heard of people getting injections if they're deficient in B12. From my understanding (and admittedly I am not a nutritionist, dietitian, or medical doctor) it's particularly important for preserving brain functioning as we age. I thought weight loss was actually an indication of B12 deficiency. Maybe your friend lost weight because deficiency can make you tired, and therefore less able to exercise, so the injections helped with energy levels? If you wanted to test out the benefits of taking B12 without getting the injections, you could try taking a vitamin. I'm vegan, so I take a multi with B12 every day, and I take an additional sub-lingual B12 tablet once a week. I also eat and drink B12 fortified products, such as plant milk and nutritional yeast. Do you suspect deficiency? If so, you should probably have your levels tested.

I don't suspect a deficiency, at least I don't think so. I was just curious on the injections, because it seemed like the person I know, was using them specifically for weight loss.
  • Veggiebeat
    Veggiebeat Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Huh. Interesting. Following to see if anyone on here actually gets injections specifically for weight loss. I'd imagine injections would be considerably more expensive than the oral supplements.
  • skelley331
    skelley331 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The Metabolic Research Center for Weight loss does the Lipo B12 injections for weight loss, a lot of women have lost weight while taking them.
  • EricB56
    EricB56 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We have a friend who has always been extremely active. For years she has constantly bicycled, swim, lift, etc. Ate normally and could never lose weight. The only change she has made is that she has started the B12 shots and she has lost around 50 pounds. Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about her medical background so take this with a grain of salt.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Does she happen to be on the Dr. Bernstein Weight loss program? That is one weight loss program that uses them along with a really strict low calorie allowance (800-1000).

There's really no scientific evidence that B12 triggers weight loss, it may however like another poster have said, boost energy levels if she was deficient in the first place.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The only time I had B12 injections was when I was pregnant and my iron was very low. It was also supposed to help with my morning sickness. Since I was pregnant, I didn't lose any weight at all so I can't say if it helps with that.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have had them before, but I wasn't trying to lose weight. I did it to see if it would help with energy levels (no confirmed deficiency), however, I did not see any positive impact.

Oh, and the injections hurt like a sonofa*****.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I take them, but it is because I had a deficiency. I have been taking them monthly for the last 6 months or so and I have had no weightloss from them, but then again, I haven't been the healthiest eater these days :)

I haven't really noticed too much from them, but my doctor checked the levels and it was "dangerously low". Taking the pills didn't help so I had to move to the injections and all is good now.
  • LeakieChan
    LeakieChan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had a B12 shot when I was about 21, it wasn't for dieting, but I understand how it made someone lose weight, I didn't sleep for about 2 days and my energy was so high I didn't know what to do with myself... I ended up deep cleaning most of the house.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    B12 will not make someone lose weight itself either in pill form, liquid form or injection form. Indirectly B12 may help someone lose weight ... if someone has low levels of the vitamin and corrects that with the pill/liquid/injection, their energy will increase leading to more physical activity.

Dr. Bernstein does B12 injections stating they lose weight. People in that program lose weight due to the very low calories, not the actual vitamin.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    The shots are usually a different type of the vitamin (methylcobalamin -- sp?) is supposed to better and cross the blood/brain barrier.

The usual OTC b12 is cyanocobalamin (sp?) is not as bio-available and doesn't get absorbed as well through the intestines as it binds with other proteins.

But as everyone who comes into work says "it says supports metabolism on the bottle"
    Right... but metabolism is the chemical processes that occur within a living organism in order to maintain life.

They are also water soluble and you don't store it.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a few months awhile back , did not notice any change at all.
  • mmouse90
    mmouse90 Posts: 83
    Options
    I have had the B12 injections because I was B12 deficient. I eat well and exercise and the B12 did nothing for weight loss; just gave me a lot more energy. I continue to take a B12 supplement. I have also been prescribe the one hippimommy referred to that crosses the blood/brain barrier and again no weight loss. I think those that are getting it and losing weight are doing more than they admit for the most part and in some it probably gave their metabolism a kick start
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Just looked up foods high in B-12, seafood, beef and eggs are all on the list. If you don't eat much of these, then you MAY benefit from the shots but as some others on here have said, you may not see any notable difference. I hate shots, so would never consider this, but did take the B-12 supplement that dissolves under the tongue - noticed no difference.
  • ChelseaM8726
    ChelseaM8726 Posts: 117
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! It looks like I will NOT being taking B12 supplements if not needed.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My husband takes B12 because he has Crohn's and his body doesn't absorb it the way it should. Beyond that, have plenty of beef in your diet (super high in B12) and drink a Red Bull now and then. You shouldn't need an injection if your body is capable of absorbing it from food.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    From experience, I was feeling down and lethargic and blood tested. They found I was very low in B12 and now I take regular supps (note, I rarely eat meat and I now know it's very important to take them as a vegetarian or vegan). Anyways, they were worried at first I'd need the shots, but re-tested me after I took the sups, and now I'm fine. I was very glad I didn't need the shots and would never want them unless there was a problem.
  • MS2TWEET
    MS2TWEET Posts: 37
    Options
    I take b-12 shots every 3 weeks. Now I had WLS so that is when I started taking them. My energy level is awesome. Has it helped with my weight loss ? Can't say it has or hasn't but without it I feel sluggish. I have taken the b-12 pills and do not get the same results.