Working out during lunch break?

Options
amlyrod
amlyrod Posts: 12 Member
Due to my hubby's work schedule, it's really hard at night to get a consistent work out routine taking care of my 2 year old. To make sure I get my exercise in, I am working out during my lunch break from work. Anyone else do this? Any tips?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Everyday...on Mon/Wed/Fri I do my 10K training and on Tue/Thurs I cycle or walk. I bring my lunch to work with me everyday and I eat after my workout at my desk while I'm working. I also weight train on Tue/Thurs evenings and Sat mornings, but I have to fit my runs and cycling in during my lunch break...other option for me would be very early in the AM.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Due to my hubby's work schedule, it's really hard at night to get a consistent work out routine taking care of my 2 year old. To make sure I get my exercise in, I am working out during my lunch break from work. Anyone else do this? Any tips?

If you have your own office and your colleagues don't mind it, invest in a pull-up bar and put it up in the doorway.

At my job, I have two colleagues who sit on exercise balls in their cubicles. If you work in a cubicle with decently tall walls, you can crank out a 30-minute composite strength workout from an exercise ball every day. I did this at my previous job last year; my co-workers did not mind that I had a row of dumbbells underneath my desk. They even thought it was pretty cool. :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    to give you tips we need to know what's available to you. how long is your lunch? can you make it to a gym? a shower? are you in a closed environment where stinkytimes will not be appreciated by nearby coworkers?

when i started to lose weight early last year, i used to go for a 50 min walk on the hills around my office. i would sweat up a storm when i got back but i had my own office with a door and didn't have many afternoon visitors.
  • purpledelight
    purpledelight Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Me and my co worker started doing that 2 years ago. Today i am down almost 50 lbs. Have reached goal. am in the best shape of my life and am 47 years old!

DO IT! Make it work you can eat at your desk :) PLUS you spend less because you are not running errands!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    When I worked in an office, I did all my workouts during my lunch break. It was the only time that made sense for me at that point in my life, and it was actually a really nice break in my work day, leaving my brain refreshed and ready for the afternoon.

tips? I just made sure to have a change of clothes (including undergarments), a washcloth and towel, and deodorant in my gym bag.
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    I do when I get lunch, and I typically burn about 200 or more calories from an hour walk. Very worth it, especially when you can't promise an exercise after work. :)
  • fmouco
    fmouco Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 6 years. Great way to avoid after lunch sleepy sensation!
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a long walk. I've got an hour, so I spend it active and moving. It's definately possible to get a 30 min work out in during your lunch break (if you have an hour). Though if you're a heavy sweater, make sure you leave time for a shower.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am a single parent so I take advantage of my lunch break to get some exercise in as well. Weather permitting I use my 30 minute lunch to get a 2 mile walk in a couple or 3 times a week. In addition to that I kickbox twice a week on Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings. I can take my daughter with me to kickboxing if I need to. She either participates (she's 9 and the instructor doesn't mind) or sits quietly and plays games or draws.
    It's all about finding what works for you.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym? Or are you walking outside? I am lucky I have a gym in the building I work in, so yes I work at during my one hour lunch. By the time you change and work in the time it takes to clean up afterwards - I get just about 35-40 minutes to do something.. I do chest, bis and tris on one day, legs on another and back and shoulders on another. Then on the days that I know I won't be able to walk after work, I walk on the treadmill for 40 minutes. Something is better then nothing is how I look at it!
    Also I bring lunch and snacks everyday and eat at my desk. It works but you have to make it work. Good Luck!
  • Laac68
    Laac68 Posts: 55
    Options

That is a great way, to fit in your daily activity. What I do because I sit practically all day is get up every hour and walk for 5 minutes and stretch. I am looking forward to reading others tips as well.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've got a gym/shower in my office building so this is easy for me. I go for a 30 -40 min run outside 4 workdays a week. On the fith day I do one of my You Are Your Own Gym workouts in my office. The other 2 times a week that I do YAYOG I do it at home after my daughter is in bed.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I walk during lunch everyday, Monday thru Friday. Unless it's raining. I walk 45-50 minutes of my hour lunch break. I walk 3 miles a day. I love walking during my lunch break. Then in the evening I can do other things.
  • ticky
    ticky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with my husband working a swing shift. I LOVE working out during my lunch break (I usually run at a local park). Not only does it give me extra energy to push through the afternoon... It gets me out of the office so I can avoid all the crappy food brought in by my co-workers. :smile:
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for the past 2 years. It works out great! This way by the time I get home my 5 and 2 year old can have my attention, along with dinner, my husband, the dog and everything else normal that's going on.

Tips? Change clothes and shoes for your workout if you plan on doing high intensity (My work has a 'workout room' so that makes it easier). Make sure to have deodorant there and any other things you'd want to touch up. Just prepare a little bit, get into the groove and take advantage of that time! :drinker:
  • Em2je05
    Em2je05 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I get a thirty minute lunch break and 2-15 minute breaks at work. Lately my co-worker and I started the squat challenge, so during lunch break we do our squats and 30 walking lunges and then we walk. This helps me just to stay active. I also try to walk around for 5 minutes at least every hour, so I'm not just sitting doing nothing! :)
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I use the weights at work every day over lunch hour...
  • breza262
    breza262 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I try to get out and walk for part of my lunch break at least a few times per week. What I found works for me is getting up an hour early and using the time when everyone is sleeping for being active. I usually go for a morning bike ride or walk and it is cooler and much quieter then. I'm like you with a busy evening and I always feel guilty if I take away time from my family.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I do the same. I run 5km at lunch because when I get home, the routine with the kids kicks in and I seldom have the time. This way, I get my workouts in and I feel great for the rest of the day!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I walk or jog almost every day on my lunch break. I make sure to have a change of clothes, something to wash up with and put on fresh deodorant afterwards. It is such a stress reliever that I refuse to give that time up.