1st Marathon in November- Should I or Shouldn't I?

Options
I am throwing around the idea of signing up for my 1st marathon on Nov. 17th. I re-started running in May of this year and currently run 3 times a week (I followed the C25K program). I have run a 1/2 marathon back in 2008 and also did several 5K's and 10k's that year.

My question is do I have time to train for a full marathon or should I give myself more time? My goal is just to finish.

Thanks!

Replies

• robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You'll never know unless you try.... I'm doing my first half marathon in January, am I ready "no", will I give it my best effort "yes".... I say go for it! There's still plenty of time to train and get your body ready...
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    What's the longest distance you are running right now? I think it will be possible to finish but probably with some walk breaks. I just started half marathon training and it's been 10 weeks since I finished C25K. Right from week 1 my long run is 8 miles.

The important thing is to find a plan that works for you. Plenty of free plans out there. I am using the training plans at the link below but they may not be for everyone:

http://www.firstrunningcalculator.com/first-training-calculators/
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I don't think its enough time with your current level.

I help lead a marathon training group for people starting about where you are and we have been training since May for a Nov marathon and are already doing 13 mile runs.

A half marathon in Nov would be a more realistic goal. You would be able to train without stressing and run a decent race.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    A half marathon in Nov would be a more realistic goal. You would be able to train without stressing and run a decent race.

I agree! Aim for a marathon next spring (that's my plan).
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree! Start with a half! Good luck!
  • runningwhilemommy
    runningwhilemommy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts. I think a half would be better for you and then a full in 2014. My first marathon is also Nov, 17, it's Philly. Which one were you looking at? A lot of fulls have a half at the same time. I know that Philly does.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Even if you could train for a marathon in November doesn't make it a good idea. Go for something shorter like a 10K or a half and aim for a full marathon next year.

Not only does this reduce the likelihood if injuring yourself it reduces the chances that you'll burn yourself out with a grueling training program. Running is meant to be fun (non runners might not believe this, so we'll keep it secret) and you have a whole lifetime of running ahead of you. Enjoy the journey, it's not just about the destination.