Students!

Options
I am a full time student and also work a full time job. At work I sit at a desk in front of a computer all day long and at school I sit at a desk in front of a teacher! I find myself having a hard time working in a good, solid workout/diet plan with my schedule. Are there any other students out there that may be able to give me a few suggestions or perhaps are encountering similar problems? Thanks!

Replies

• misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Can you walk or ride a bike to school or work?
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    If you have 20 minutes to spare, you might want to try something that does both cardio and strength training in one -- something like the 30-Day Shred videos. You'll get lots of bang for your buck without needing to put in loads of time.

And wow, full time school and full time work? You go girl! I thought I had it tough with part time school and full time work!
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm a student teacher and also a full time graduate student. What seems to work for me is working out at 5 AM. I make sure that I always take healthy snacks both to the school I teach at and during classes. This helps me stay on track and you'll be surprised at how easy it is once you get the hang of it. Hope this helps! :)
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I dont go to school full time but I am a single mother and when Im not at school or work I am mommy. This is what helps me. I get up 3-4 hours early for my excersize and homework. It is very hard and some days I dont get alot of sleep but that is what helps me.
  • SabrinaM85
    Options
    Does your school have a gym? I find myself using the schools health and fitness center to work out for 30 mins after class. Or I go early enough when possible to workout before classes, then grab a quck shower. If thats not an option, set your alarm 40 mins earlier in the morning and work out first thing before you start the day. I know it's a tough schedule, but squeezing the time out is so important. Good Luck!!!
  • girlruns
    Options
    I'm a student teacher and also a full time graduate student. What seems to work for me is working out at 5 AM. I make sure that I always take healthy snacks both to the school I teach at and during classes. This helps me stay on track and you'll be surprised at how easy it is once you get the hang of it. Hope this helps! :)

I am no longer a student, but I still get up at 5 to workout. So many things come up after work, least of which is a lack of motivation. I also have fairly consistent "snack" breaks at work--try and fit those in so you don't end up starving at any point in the day.

When I was in school, I also worked full time, but I waitressed/bartended so I had some breaks in my day, if you do have any "down time" take advantage whether it is working out or preparing meals. If you have reading homework, doing it while on a stationary bike is a good way to do double duty!

I know it can be daunting to try and fit in yet another thing when you are already so busy, but take a good look at your schedule and see what can work best for you. And we're always here if you need it!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm not a student anymore, but for about 2 1/2 years I worked full time (desk job) and went to school full time (grad school). My biggest piece of advice would be to force yourself to SCHEDULE exercise. Think of it like a class - not optional! You'll feel so much better if you get regular exercise in, and I know that when I said I would just exercise when I had time, it never happened - I had to schedule it. Don't be too hard on yourself - if you can only schedule workout sessions one or two times a week, then start with that. Work in other impromptu exercise - take a 20 min. study break by walking around the neighborhood, park your car in the back of the parking lot so you have a longer walk to class, take a quick walk or go up and down the stairs at lunch (if stairs are available)... the possiblities are endless.

By having a few scheduled sessions, plus as much impromptu exercise as you can, then you will do great (and feel a ton better)!
  • ZeldaCat
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I was afraid that my only option would be to wake up super early, but it seems that may be best! A schedule is a great idea, I would like to purchase a daily planner or something of the sort and start writing things down.

I wish I could ride my bike to school, however I live in a different town than my school (and I also live in WI, meaning very soon it will be much too cold for bike rides!)

I do own the 30 Day Shred video so that may be a good option for me as it is short and could probably fit into my schedule well (though I do tend to get a bit bored with it..) I also own the P90X and ChaLEAN Extreme Beachbody videos, however those seem a much too daunting task for me - I simply do not have the time to devote every day!

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I will take them all into account and see what I can come up with!