Trying to go from Fat daddy to Phat daddy

Options
To begin I am 35 years old, father of two lovely girls. I have been able to spend the last 13 years married to my sweetheart. I am currently 280ish at 6ft 2inches. My goal is to get down to 235, and be able to run a 8 minute mile. I love to cook so eating late is a huge battle! Looking forward to helping others and getting helped.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Wow man, you are like me last year.. I am almost 33, father of 2 girls, I started at 314 and I am down to about 250 (maybe a little lower but my weigh in isnt offical till tomorrow :wink: ) now I am 6'2", I have been married 10 years and I love to cook. Let me tell you, it can be done, my goal is 225, and I am getting into running now (my personal best on a treadmill is current 9:45). Stick with it, you CAN do it!
  • Kevster75
    Options
    Welcome and Best of Luck!
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Welcome, ull love it here :-)
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    :bigsmile: Welcome! First off, what a wonderful post! You will love it here.........the people are fantastic and it has the biggest food database that I have ever seen. Best of luck to you!
  • phatzzzs
    Options
    First off thank you for all the great responses!!!!!
    Jrich1- that is what I need to hear!!!!!
    I know that because I love to cook I can control better then most what I eat. My wife (Sunfreeflower) and I will be posting some of our recipe's to help people realize that good healthy food can still be lipsmacking tasty!!!

I know if you can make it 7days your success rate doubles and then at 14, we are coming up on 7 straight days on Sat!!
    I think the wife and I are going to enter a 5k race for the 11th of September.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    You're in the same situation I was in 18 mo ago (a year on MFP). I started at 336 lbs, 6,1. I have two small children, and a wife that posts here too (lisawest). I wouldn't say cooking is a hobby of mine, but I do like to get in the kitchen and mix it up. I would say the wife and I split the cooking fairly equally.

I'm not real concerned with my mile time, but I am training for a Half Marathon on 10/10/10, I ran 2 5K's over the winter.
    I also like to lift on non running days, and when time allows crank on the Mt Bike even though I live in Kansas. As my name implies, I'm into it...if it's muscle powered, and is done outside.

I came in at 275 lbs this morning. While my original goal was to lose 100 lbs even. I'm starting to think I would have to sacrifice a lot of muscle mass to get there. (I'm not doing that) So I changed my target weight to 250. I know I need to have my BF% tested, and probably will in the next month. Until my half marathon is over I'm not going to be real concerned with my wieght. Just stay within my calorie goal, and train. If I do that the rest will take care of itself.

Anyway, Welcome There is a Man-to-Man thread somewhere in the Motivation and Support Forum you should check out. Although it tends to get buried sometimes.
  • phatzzzs
    Options
    Iplayoutside19- thank you for the support-
    The one exercise that I have always been willing to participate in is weightlifting. I like my size, but I know at least 50lbs is not useable. I would like to start getting into outdoor man competitions for old school training techniques. Chiseled is not what I am looking for useable no question............Hat's off to you for doing your competition............
  • lissakay
    Options
    Welcome.....I also enjoy cooking. Looking forward to reading some of the recipes you post!
  • phatzzzs
    Options
    Lissakay,
    Thank you for the comments!!
    What kind of recipes are you looking for? My wife and I have a ton of homemade recipes that we try and make as healthy and tasty as possible! Let me know what ingredients your cooing with and we will see what we can come up with.
  • lissakay
    Options
    You're welcome. I don't know what recipes....if I see something that sounds good, I just try it.

I use a lot of ground turkey....for taco salad, meatloaf, burgers, spagetti....I seem to have my best results with ground turkey and brown rice.

I just posted this recipe for taco salad:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/118065-super-easy-taco-salad
  • phatzzzs
    Options
    Lissakay,
    I will post one that we make for breakfast patties.
    Take any ground meat mix with shredded veggies and one to two eggs for binding...........We do this with sausage, turkey, beef.........I will put some pictures up of what they look like. Thank you for the comment let me or my wife know what we can do to help!
  • Beebee78
    Options
    You will find so much support here. Good luck on your journey xxx