Where do I begin?

Options
JSA17
JSA17 Posts: 81 Member
Can anyone here help me out a little...?

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo out of shape. I haven't worked out in years! I am very overweight, out of breath when I walk up stairs, etc.

I want to start exercising.........again. But where do I begin? I don't even know where to start without passing out or feeling dizzy.

Is walking the best solution?

Please help! Thank you!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    The first thing I would suggest is a visit to your doctor's office for a physical and a frank discussion about your desire to improve your health and fitness and make sure there are no underlying medical limitations on starting an exercise program.

Assuming there are no medical factors limiting you starting the road to recovery walking may be a great first step (pardon the pun). If you have access to a pool you may also want to see if there are any water aerobics or water walking (no, not the supernatural kind) programs offered. For very overweight and out of shape folks the water program have proven beneficial as the water helps support your weight.
  • JSA17
    Options
    The first thing I would suggest is a visit to your doctor's office for a physical and a frank discussion about your desire to improve your health and fitness and make sure there are no underlying medical limitations on starting an exercise program.

Assuming there are no medical factors limiting you starting the road to recovery walking may be a great first step (pardon the pun). If you have access to a pool you may also want to see if there are any water aerobics or water walking (no, not the supernatural kind) programs offered. For very overweight and out of shape folks the water program have proven beneficial as the water helps support your weight.

Thank you very much for your input!

I actually did visit my doctor and I have no underlying issues (thank God) and that's what I'm trying to avoid from happening by trying to become healthier.

There is in fact an aquafit program in my area so I will definitely sign up for that.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it :)
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics 3X/week and I am trying the Couch to 5K plan but much prefer the water aerobics. why? I can go like hell in the pool but I die on the track! you will LOVE the water aerobics. so much nicer on your joints and lungs!!!
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^
    this for sure! There are some exercises you can do from a chair and walking would be good choices. Just don't over do it on matter you choose to do. Start out like you can hold out.

Remember the road to becoming healthy is a marathon not a sprint. Good Luck! You Can Do This!
  • JSA17
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone, sincerely.

This forum is so inspiring and so motivational. How can anyone possibly fail with all of the support brought here? I CAN do this and I WILL.

Baby steps are what I'll take. Signing up for aquafit after work tonight is the first one.

Again, thank you so much :)