Zero, Nada, Zilch - No pounds lost

Options
I have been using MFP to monitor my calories for the past 4 weeks. During this time I have been with a trainer three days a week, 60 minutes a session. I have yet to lose a single pound. I'm 5"4 and at 225. I do feel better and have more energy and have toned up a little but not significantly I also do walk at least an extra 130 minutes a week as required by my trainer. The trainer also set my calories to 1525 and I have been trying hard to keep it there, plus monitor my protein, fiber, carbs, and sodium. I haven't gone over yet. I had a physical in January and everything was normal. I know the weight loss will come but it's very frustrating that I haven't lost one single pound yet. I'm a very patient person but I am starting to wonder if I am overlooking something.

Replies

• akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    What are your net calories after exercising? Do you eat 1585, then exercise and get 400 calories and not eat them back?
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Are you taking your body measurements? I finally figured out that the scale does not always show your hard work and efforts. I may not loose any pounds but loosing inches,

I would feel good about the way I look and feel than be stressed over the what number the scale AKA devil box shows.

You are doing great, don't give up!
  • jmcgee2627
    Options
    It takes more than 2 weeks to begin seeing results. Just stick with it..the pounds will begin to shed in no time..maybe about another 2 to 3 weeks it will start dropping off.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'd be looking for a different trainer.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Dont let the trainer set your numbers. Use the MFP defaults.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Do you use a digital food scale?

With inaccuracies in the food database, plus eyeballing sizes, it's really easy to sit at maintenance.
  • jayferellis
    jayferellis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1525 is the net calories. I don't include the ones for exercising. Though I have been tempted too. :) I will be measured again later on this week. I know I have lost some inches around my arms. Don't know about the rest of me.
  • vartos
    vartos Posts: 3
    Options
    You're working out which means that you're gaining some muscle mass. Muscle weighs more that fat so you might be losing inches and getting tighter but the weight stays the same. It's just the begining. You will start to see some results in a few weeks. Also you probably should up the protein intake and lower the carb intake (unless doing leg day training) because protein does keep you full longer.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'd be looking for a different trainer.

^this. I don't think you are eating nearly enough for all that you are doing. Have you calculated your BMR? 1500 just doesn't seem high enough for all the energy that you are putting in.
  • suibhne
    suibhne Posts: 17
    Options
    In addition to what others have, consider everything you've already gained. You wrote about your fitness, your tone - that's great. But you've also gotten new habits and a bunch of data about how your body works, and those might be more important to long-term weight-loss than anything else. You're putting together a great foundation.

Just a quick note: if you're not including any calories from exercise, then 1525 is not your "net". Your net would be after exercise - after all inputs and outputs. If I'm understanding you correctly, I'm betting your net right now is down in the triple digits, which probably isn't where you want to be.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Go here. Figure out your TDEE for your body. I would say you aren't eating enough. I know it sounds faulty saying that, but you probably aren't.

Put in the weight you want to be with a realistic about of energy expended on the other dials and eat at that TDEE.
  • SkylinePigeon9797
    Options
    My sister-in-law was at a very similar height/weight not long ago (we weight train together for 45 minutes 3 days a week and do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT cardio) 2 days a week). She took her calories down from 1500 to 1350 and had to cut out sugar and bread or she would have NO progress at all. She has PCOS (I would google that to check and make sure you don't have any of the symptoms) My sister figured out that she has PCOS also and after adjusting her diet accordingly, finally began to lose weight for the first time in her life.

There is a sweet spot that you have to find somewhere between eating the correct amount of calories (not too many, not too few) and eating the right KINDS of foods; it can take a little while, but when you find it, you should know within a week. If it hasn't happened in 4 weeks, you need to tweak something. If you plateau for more than 2 weeks, something needs to be adjusted. Your body gets used to what you're doing and you have to keep it guessing.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    1525 is the net calories. I don't include the ones for exercising. Though I have been tempted too. :) I will be measured again later on this week. I know I have lost some inches around my arms. Don't know about the rest of me.

Your body won't shed a pound if your NET (food plus exercise) is anything below 1500. You'll find lots of reasons on MFP on keeping your NET above that. So if you eat 1500, and you burn 500 with the trainer, your only netting 1000, and your body is saving the fat as a method of survival. 1585 is great on your non-workout days, but if your working your but off with your trainer, you need to be feeding that workout.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You're working out which means that you're gaining some muscle mass. Muscle weighs more that fat so you might be losing inches and getting tighter but the weight stays the same. It's just the begining. You will start to see some results in a few weeks. Also you probably should up the protein intake and lower the carb intake (unless doing leg day training) because protein does keep you full longer.

MAYBE some noob gains, but in 4 weeks she isn't going to gain enough muscle mass to stall the scale, especially at 1600 calories per day. It is extremely hard to put on muscle mass, especially enough to stall the scale (in 4 weeks).

What exercises do you do in your 60 minute session?
  • jayferellis
    jayferellis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Circuit training. A garden variety of things. From treadmill, stair climbing, crunches,weights, band exercises, push ups, kettleball, boxing, yoga stretches to warm up. Some of the exercises are somewhat similar to P90 before P90x. It's at the same speed of P90. I've done P90 several years ago and had the same results. I gave up after a couple of months.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Who cares about pounds....get a decent bodyfat meter. If you lost bodyfat, you win.

AND get a digital scale. Eyeballing food youre eating way more than u think. Ask me how I know
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Circuit training. A garden variety of things. From treadmill, stair climbing, crunches,weights, band exercises, push ups, kettleball, boxing, yoga stretches to warm up. Some of the exercises are somewhat similar to P90 before P90x. It's at the same speed of P90. I've done P90 several years ago and had the same results. I gave up after a couple of months.

And you just started 4 weeks ago?

You probably had some noob muscle gains, but past that you won't put on any more mass. I'm guessing that your muscles are retaining water right now for repair as it adjusts to the new workout regimen. I also don't think that 1500 calories per day on one of your circuit days is sufficient, IMHO.
  • fivepntr
    fivepntr Posts: 10
    Options
    I wouldn't stress out too much over scale readings---judge your progress by how your cloths fit! Put that dang thing in the closet ????
  • malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    tape measure > scale.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP to monitor my calories for the past 4 weeks. During this time I have been with a trainer three days a week, 60 minutes a session. I have yet to lose a single pound. I'm 5"4 and at 225. I do feel better and have more energy and have toned up a little but not significantly I also do walk at least an extra 130 minutes a week as required by my trainer. The trainer also set my calories to 1525 and I have been trying hard to keep it there, plus monitor my protein, fiber, carbs, and sodium. I haven't gone over yet. I had a physical in January and everything was normal. I know the weight loss will come but it's very frustrating that I haven't lost one single pound yet. I'm a very patient person but I am starting to wonder if I am overlooking something.

I know the feeling about giving it your all and not losing. I have not lost anything this year. Going to the Dr's tomorrow because I believe I am having some hormonal issues. One good note for me: I just bought some capris that were a size smaller.
    Just keep at it and you will see results eventually.