Losing weight and buying new clothes

Options
I'm 7 lbs away from my goal weight (although I may decide that I want to lose another 5-10 lbs on top of that, but won't decide until I get to my goal weight).

When I started, I was squeezing myself into a size 10. I need some new pants, since my size 10s and size 8s are too big. Size 6 fits me very comfortably now. For kicks, I tried on a size 4, and surprisingly, they fit, but they're probably a bit snug. Not as snug as my 10s were before I started losing weight, but probably not optimal for where I am right now. But I plan to keep on losing another 7 lbs, and I'm definitely apple shaped, so I'm hoping that much of that last weight to shed will come from my belly, since my measurements every where seems to have stabilized, but I'm still losing from my belly.

So would you buy the size 6 pants, and then buy more pants when you lose more weight? Or just buy the slightly snug size 4 now, and figure that they'll fit better as I lose the last lbs?

Replies

• Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has been pretty expensive. I went from a 48 waist to a 42 waist to a 40 waist to a 38 waist on my current jeans. Each time I had to buy 2-3 pair of jeans. Then I went from 3X shirts being comfortable down to 2X and now I'm at XL's, depending on the shirt's individual fit (not all XL's are alike!) I've probably spent close to $1000 redoing my wardrobe over the past two years!

If you aren't in a rush to get new clothing I'd wear the slightly larger clothing until I got where I wanted to be. One of the bigger issues you might face is if you decide to go from losing to maintaining you may gain a few pounds in the process. I know when I switch I usually gain between 5 and 10 pounds, which at your size might be a full dress size! Thankfully my jeans and shirts are somewhat forgiving, so if you're going to buy new clothing definitely buy something that can scale slightly with your day-to-day weight and body changes.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on money and how long you think it will take for those snug 4's to be comfortable. I've been buying clothes along the way. Not cheap, but my 'reward'. Every season I have to buy a new wardrobe because nothing from a year ago still fits. It's draining the wallet LOL.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Well, the last 15 lbs have been hell. I decided to buy 2 pairs of jeans that fit and some new unmentionables (which now everyone knows about). My family was tired of watching me pull my pants up. I have a pair in my goal size and I keep trying them on to see what happens. Good luck.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i wear a lot of dresses. I still have my "skinny wardrobe" from before... all size 8 and 10, I'm just squeezing in to the 10's now, and I'm less than 10 lbs from my goal (funny how one person's fat size is anothers skinny size!)

Unless they look sloppy on me, i don't see any reason to cram myself into clothes that don't fit. Thin doesn't have to mean slutty (I'm guilty of that, i want to show it off!) and there is nothing worse than someone wearing ill fitting clothes at any size.

I just buy used or discount clothes when I'm not the size i want to be... that way I'm not spending a fortune... but that said, i don't have the best fashion sense
  • Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A few of the ladies in my area have been doing the "designer belt" thing with slightly larger outer wear... in this way you could buy the more loose-fitting clothing, then accessorize once you drop the weight without having to purchase a new wardrobe.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_S-qBFqj9m4Q/SU-rIJrjUrI/AAAAAAAAApQ/4elfXzMde1I/s320/dress+belt.jpg
    http://www.zigoti.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/how-to-wear-a-belt-on-a-dress.jpg
    http://photos.posh24.com/p/847440/z/celebrity_party/daisy_lowe_floral_maxi_dress.jpg
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't have much money, so basically wear clothes that are too big for me until I can afford more. I've only lost about 15 lbs, though, so it's not a huge difference.
  • NSMustanggirl
    NSMustanggirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've gone from busting out of a size 12/13 to fitting comfortably in a 9 and have lost more! I did buy a bunch of new clothes at the 20 lbs lost mark, but that money's been wasted! I've been shopping at Value Village (thrift shop) and am getting nice clothes, some with the tag on, for about 85% off the retail price! Bought a pair of pants that had a $42 tag on them for $7 (and I had purchased the size 10 version of the same pants a month before at the actual retail store!) and shorts and tops for $1-$2. SO, you can get nice clothes that fit you but at nowhere near the retail price!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    When I was at my starting weight, I refused to buy new clothes in that size because I was planning on losing (two years of planning!)

Now that I'm losing, I refuse to buy clothes because I'm actually losing.

I have no clothes.

So I'm no help.
  • 2design
    2design Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would stay with the six for wearing now and buy one four to use as a goal.

I work in a consignment shop and have found it great for filling in my wardrobe as I lose weight. I consign my too big clothes and buy my transitional sizes there. For example a pair of Calvin Klein jeans for $12.00. For those of you watching your wallet as well as your weight you may want to look into that option :)

Whatever your decision enjoy your reward for all your hard work losing weight, congrats!
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I started the year in a tight size 12. When I got down to a size 10 around March, I treated myself to new, very expensive jeans. Then it got warm and I bought several new shorts too. Now I'm down to a size 8. I never in a million years thought I'd be here, so I went out and bought more new clothes last weekend. It's getting very expensive! I think I'm going to have some of my 10's taken in so I don't have to buy a lot of 8's. It's a nice problem to have.

In your situation, I'd probably buy a couple in the smaller size and wear a mix for a bit. That's what I'm doing with the 10's and 8's. Some of the 8's are a little tight still, so I'm wearing 10's a lot still even though they're not all that flattering now that they're hanging off of me.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am sticking to dresses and skirts, taking the sewing machine to the seams when necessary, cardigans can hide a multitude of wonky seams.

But now my cardis are way too big....... skirts and cheap Tshirts plus anything from under the bed I can now get into :)

Next weekend all of my big clothes go to a carboot... I will NEVER need them again.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I can't stand ill-fitted clothing, be it even slightly too snug or too big. I would buy a few inexpensive, yet versatile pieces that fit you well as you are now. Consignment shops and discount stores like Marshall's and TJ Maxx are great for this. No huge loss when you have to part with them.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Clearance, discount stores and second hand! I am 5lbs from my goal now, just bought a lovely new dress for work and it is already looser! I'm not complaining and it still fits quite nice but dang! I think I've only lost 1lb since I got it, so I'm a little hesitant to buy more because I don't know where this is all gonna shake out over the next year...

Luckily I have quite a bit of clothes still from before I gained so as tempting as it is, I am really trying to limit my shopping for now.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the 6 for now and get the 4's later. Because it could take longer then expected to lose the last few pounds. And just like the other ladies mentioned just buy some cheaper clothing for now.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm belting the heck out of my bottoms as they become too big, until I need to buy more for the next season. All my shorts, which were purchased in May, are 12s and a couple of 14s (in brands that run small), but just this weekend I tried on something in an 8 that fit. I can take some of the 12s off without unbuttoning them. But because I will have to buy all new fall/winter stuff (last winter I was in 18/20), I'm making do. Luckily I have a sewing machine so I can take in side seams a little to make things neater than just cinching them with a belt.

But as far as buying "ahead" in a smaller size, I wouldn't do it. There's no guarantee that it will fit your future shape. (The exception I made to that was to buy a coat for this winter in the spring when they were on 80% clearance. Luckily I guessed correctly on the size.)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Buy the snug and get the 6 at Goodwill

PS dont be an idiot like me get rid of all of your fat clothes then get pregnant and have nothing to wear because you gut is too big for the smaller size now. Sigh :grumble:
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    get most of your clothes from charity shops while losing weight. then treat yourself to new ones once you've reached your goal look :D that's what i'm doing, very rarely get new clothes unless i can't find anything suitable in the plethora of charity shops in my village.
  • mdev1
    mdev1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I replace my pants every 2 sizes I drop, my shirts every 3 sizes. I started at size 46 pants and I could wear 32 now. I went from 3XXL to M is shirt sizes for example. I wait until the pants are bunching up and the shirts make me look like a flying squirrel before replacing them. I also punched a couple of extra holes in my belts to extend the useful life. I've had to replace my clothing (all of it) three times now, so I recommend buying the cheapest clothes you can find, and only enough for a week, to get by on temporarily.

I must say that I find wearing slimmer, good fitting clothing, to be motivating, so its good to get something that fits better and motivates you to achieve more. It's a good problem to have!