I was craving a burger and made this instead!

Options
disnyfan
disnyfan Posts: 39 Member
I was craving a big, beefy burger and went with this instead. It was heaven on a plate!!!!

Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/grilled_eggplant_parmesan_sandwich.html

From EatingWell: September/October 2008
Our healthier eggplant Parmesan sandwich uses tender, smoky grilled eggplant instead of fried, so it has a fraction of the fat and calories. To make these sandwiches a cinch to prepare, make sure to have all your ingredients ready before you head out to the grill.

4 servings | Active Time: 45 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients
1 large eggplant, (1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds), cut into 12 1/4-inch-thick rounds
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons finely shredded Parmesan, or Asiago cheese
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
4 small pieces focaccia bread, or rustic Italian bread
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 ounces baby spinach
1 cup crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided
Preparation
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Place eggplant rounds on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Coat both sides lightly with cooking spray. Combine Parmesan (or Asiago) and mozzarella in a small bowl. Brush both sides of focaccia (or bread) with oil.
Place spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and punch several holes in the wrap. Microwave on High until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Combine tomatoes and 2 tablespoons basil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave until bubbling, about 2 minutes.
Place all your ingredients on the baking sheet with the eggplant and take it to the grill. Grill the eggplant slices until brown and soft on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Grill the bread until toasted, about 1 minute per side. Return the eggplant and bread to the baking sheet. Reduce grill heat to medium.
Place 1 eggplant round on top of each slice of bread. Layer 1 tablespoon tomatoes, 1 tablespoon wilted spinach and 1 tablespoon cheese on each slice of eggplant. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, sauce, spinach and cheese. Sprinkle each stack with some of the remaining basil. Place the baking sheet on the grill, close the lid and grill until the eggplant stack is hot and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
Nutrition
Per serving : 291 Calories; 8 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 12 mg Cholesterol; 48 g Carbohydrates; 12 g Protein; 9 g Fiber; 756 mg Sodium; 526 mg Potassium

2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat

Replies

• DancingDreamer
    Options
    OMG that sounds SOOOOOO good!

*saves recipe*

YUM! thanks for sharing! :D
  • GingerSnark
    Options
    I've never had eggplant. What's it taste like? I'm a picky eater & new veggies never seem to rate well with me :(
  • disnyfan
    Options
    I've never had eggplant. What's it taste like? I'm a picky eater & new veggies never seem to rate well with me :(

OH it's really really good!! Follow a recipe though...it can be tricky to prepare on your own. Try it! The worst that can happen is tossing it! :laugh:
  • marydenouden
    Options
    That sounds so good. need to cut the sodium in the receipt. To much sodium for someone on a 1500mg a day sodium intake. also if you watch your salt intake a day and keep it under 2000mg you will loose weight a little faster and wont feel so bloated . between the cheese and salt by eliminating the 1/4 teaspoon of salt and using no salt and cutting your cheese in half you will get a better flavor with the eggplant and cut your sodium in half.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options

i suggest trying it at a restaurant before you try and cook it yourself. its a very finicky vegetable that tastes HORRIBLE raw but SUPER DELICIOUS when cooked (so weird! XD but i love it!)

i've found its one of those veggies that people either love or hate though.....but i think the people who hate it are weird <_< but maybe thats me!

next time you're out for italian get the eggplant parmesean! delicious!
  • disnyfan
    Options
    That sounds so good. need to cut the sodium in the receipt. To much sodium for someone on a 1500mg a day sodium intake. also if you watch your salt intake a day and keep it under 2000mg you will loose weight a little faster and wont feel so bloated . between the cheese and salt by eliminating the 1/4 teaspoon of salt and using no salt and cutting your cheese in half you will get a better flavor with the eggplant and cut your sodium in half.

Great suggestion! I only use sea salt in my house. Does that make a difference?
  • staceybug13
    Options
    I am saving this recipe! It sounds so good!
  • LeeMac
    Options
    Salt is salt, sea salt or otherwise. Trace minerals (that might give it other colour/flavour) don't affect the sodium content.

As for altering the recipe, you could omit the part where it comes to salting the eggplant - generally that's only done to older ones to extract bitter juices or to lower the moisture content, and the salt is rinsed away after the juices are extracted. If you're not salting it and letting it sit for a while to get juices out, then I don't think this step is required (I'd add salt to taste anyway, not being sodium-conscious).