Healthy Treats To Beat The Heat??

Options
Lind5ay90
Lind5ay90 Posts: 376 Member
With it being 95+ degrees outside everyday, I'm finding it hard to keep up with my calorie intake. The heat makes me have no appetite, plus I don't want to turn on the stove or oven with this weather. Does anyone have any easy, healthy snack ideas that help fight the hot weather? I eat tons of fruit and often do plain, non-fat Greek yogurt with a tough of honey and a few chocolate chips. It tastes unhealthy when it's not!

Replies

• chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have just one word for you "Plastics" oh wait that is a different conversation I mean "Watermelon".
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My grandma used to make these delicious strawberry rhubarb ice pops. She'd crush up strawberries and rhubarb (I'd recommend blending them together though), and throw in just a touch of milk. As a kid I remember them being so good, and they're relatively low in calories too!

Here's a recipe for them - http://playfulandhungry.com/2013/06/16/raw-strawberry-rhubarb-popsicles/

May just have to go pick up some rhubarb myself now....:wink:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream
  • celenachan
    celenachan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    overnight oats! milk + oats + greek yogurt (optional) + your choice of fruit (i love to use frozen berries and mangos) + chia seeds (optional, but nice to thicken things up). Stir, let it sit in the fridge overnight/for a few hours. You may want to add a few more splashes of milk when you're ready to eat it, as well as some crunchy toppings such as granola or nuts. I recommend searching overnight oats recipes on the web, there are so many :) enjoy and stay cool!
  • ForgottenEnglish
    ForgottenEnglish Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese "Ice Cream" - blend a banana, cottage cheese, cocoa, tsp honey (or other sweetner), and maybe a Tbsp Almond Butter (optional) until silky smooth, and freeze for about 45min - 2 hours (if you are leaving it in the freezer longer than this, you may want to add a tiny bit of vodka so that it doesn't freeze into a solid rock). So delicious and pretty high in protein - plus it really does taste like ice-cream, not at all like cottage cheese.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    BOOZE
    LOTS OF IT
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese "Ice Cream" - blend a banana, cottage cheese, cocoa, tsp honey (or other sweetner), and maybe a Tbsp Almond Butter (optional) until silky smooth, and freeze for about 45min - 2 hours (if you are leaving it in the freezer longer than this, you may want to add a tiny bit of vodka so that it doesn't freeze into a solid rock). So delicious and pretty high in protein - plus it really does taste like ice-cream, not at all like cottage cheese.

This sounds delicious!
  • jniels1975
    jniels1975 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    my family is big on smoothies in hot weather. Any kind of frozen berry with apple juice (I use the half sugar juice for calories) blended makes a perfect smoothie and they are so cold it takes me a while to eat them! You could add yogurt or protein powder if you wanted
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    frozen blueberries <3 oh and mango. Mango makes me feel like sunshine
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    frozen blueberries <3 oh and mango. Mango makes me feel like sunshine

I love frozen blueberries!!
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    tuna fish mixed with cashews or almonds with mustard and or salsa, then wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves with a few crumbles of feta. Delicious, quick, light and easy.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Freeze your fruit. Bananas, grapes, watermelon (watermelon coolers, yum)

Also, mint and everything just seems cooler. Sugar-free lemonade slush with mint; cucumber/tomato/mint salad; quinoa/corn/mint salad
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Caprese Salad!! cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, balsamic vinaigrette - no cooking and very refreshing. :)
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Frozen mashed very ripe banana, lovely creamy on its own or folding yogurt, with chopped nuts etc before freezing
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,010 Member
    Options
    Frozen bluberries. Love them.
  • Dre8604
    Dre8604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I enjoy blending yogurt with blueberry's then freezing it in those awesome make your own Popsicle moulds you can get from ikea or any home store. Another one is all natural fruit juice frozen in the same method.

There's also Banana ice cream. Cut a Banana into 0.5 cm slices. Freeze them for 1hour then chuck them in a food processor until creamy. Its like real ice cream! If i've had a good day i like to also melt a few blocks of dark chocolate and sprinkle with almonds.

There's also some amazing salads on this site

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/quick_healthy_low_calorie_recipes_menus

I love that site. It tells you everything you need to know to log the food as well as it's healthy!

You can find just about anything on here =) Hope it comes handy!

I've heard about the frozen bananas... but haven't tried it yet. Are they any other flavor combinations that you've tried or heard about?
  • jsgulick40
    jsgulick40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Could you send me the list of different low calorie snacks, please??
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    HOmemade ice pops. Nom Nom Nom.

No recipe.. I just toss stuff in the blender.
    2 or 3 pints of berries.
    sugar to taste
    dash of lemon juice
    buzz until liquid, push through a sieve to get the seeds out, and pour into a ice pop mold.
    Freaking amazing!

If you're too busy/lazy/whatever to make homemade Outshine Frozen Fruit Bars are great.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    I froze some washed and dried strawberries on baking trays, then dipped the frozen berries in yogurt and froze again on the baking trays...

they keep well in ziplock freezer bags and are great right out of the bag or added to shakes and smoothies!
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of sandwiches and lettuce wraps. I'll mix tuna with greek yogurt and some relish or dill and then spread that on lettuce wrap, I also use the food processor to shred carrots and green onions with a sprinkle of champagne vinegar. I also make hard boiled eggs in the mornings as a snack.