I NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT AND HAVE NO MONEY!

Options
I've got a 10lb weight. I've got the outdoors. And for a few weeks more I have a swimming pool.

I also have a hard time feeling full on fruits & vegg without eating a ton of it! And I don't have money for healthy food for another couple of weeks. Then I am heading down to the farmers market for some purple potatoes. But for the next couple of weeks I am grocery food budgeted out.

I know I'm not making it easy, but I am a broke college student, and I'm moving into a new apartment so my money is tied up.

Help me? What would you do?

Replies

• sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've got a 10lb weight. I've got the outdoors. And for a few weeks more I have a swimming pool.

I also have a hard time feeling full on fruits & vegg without eating a ton of it! And I don't have money for healthy food for another couple of weeks. Then I am heading down to the farmers market for some purple potatoes. But for the next couple of weeks I am grocery food budgeted out.

I know I'm not making it easy, but I am a broke college student, and I'm moving into a new apartment so my money is tied up.

Eat normally but less (in a deficit). Do cardio and body weight exercise and what you can with your 10lb weight. Lose weight! It's that easy.
  • MrsSpindler
    Options
    Portion control! Eat less of what you normally eat. Stick to drinking water and make sure each meal has a protein, carb, and a fruit or veg. Like Sourmash said. Utilize that pool!! You can burn a crap load of calories doing laps in a pool. Go jogging in the mornings.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/yourbestfitness/99-cent-diet-could-it-work-you

Eating healthy foods doesn't have to be expensive.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    does your college have a gym...if so use it..if not the great outdoors can be your gym
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    Ha I'm a broke college student too, I'm trying to up my calories and I cant afford to eat that many.
    **** sucks.
    Wish I could help
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eat less.

cheaper.

win.

do body weight workouts- or go running.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    if prisoners get all swole up you can and they have no money most of them you can do it just push your self
  • jccst9
    jccst9 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I thrive on pretzels from the Dollar Tree, veggies from Aldi (go ahead and eat a ton of veggies), black coffee to curb my appetite in between cycles of thermogenics (a.k.a. 4 weeks of not spending above my means), and water, water, water! Tuna is cheap and lean protein, my morning yogurt from either Aldi or Bottom Dollar runs me about 39 cents a day. Nothing, right? You really are limitless in your healthy and low-cost options. I'm a big girl and I can easily feed myself on about $25 a week without feeling like I'm starving myself. I spent 6 figures on 2 degrees so money is sometimes an issue so I totally get it. But you can do it... Good luck!!!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yep just track what you have.....if you know what you are eating then you may think twice about putting it in your mouth.
    Exercise exercise exercise
    Drink plenty of water, that's free

Then plan when you do have some money so you buy the right cheap healthy foods out there

Make a list... Check out the specials bargin, our supermarket sometimes has discounted veges and fruits.

Good luck with 101 to lose even just exercising will make a difference
    Good luck
  • vulcan06
    vulcan06 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ADD PROTEIN- which can be found in beans-eggs- and meat- yogurt- some ceral- so take stock of what you have on hand looking towards the protein and then walk, jog, weight lift do whatever you would normally do for exercise- good luck-

I NEED protein to stay/feel fuller- I add chicken, tuna etc to my salads, tyr to make certain my cereal has it in it- or I eat egg substitute so I can have the equivlent to 2 or 3 eggs and not send my cholestral or calories thru the roof- eat less move more- tried and true method for losing weight--:happy:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    What's your definition of "healthy" such that you can't afford it? Getting proper nutrition really isn't expensive...buying into "diet food" low fat/no fat and/or everything has to be organic bull **** is expensive. Just get your proper nutrition and practice portion control. Go outside and run or walk or ride your bike or whatever and do some body weight resistance work. EZ-PZ.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you have at a deficit and log it so you don't lose track.

Weather permitting exercise outside - walk, run, hike, stairs. If it's raining out - go up and down your appartment stairs.

For strength use your dumbell - you tube some exercises.

Also do push ups, sit ups, planks, squats, lunges, walking lunges, bicycle crunches, tricep dips, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, burpees etc. There are tons of exercises that you don't need any equipment for.

Invest in a skipping rope. It's cheap and great cardio.
  • mistyrae06
    mistyrae06 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating lean proteins to start. It'll make you feel full. You can supplement with brown rice or quinoa. Keep it up with the veggies, though! I also have to say broccoli is my ol' standby. It's more filling than a lot of veggies, super cheap, and really versatile.

Also focus on high quality fibers, such as apples. They're also very filling. I like to eat an apple on the way to work for breakfast, or keep one with me if I know I'm getting home late so I'm not tempted to snack on junk food in the office. STAY AWAY from foods that say "fiber enriched"--such as Fiber One products or Kashi. They're tasty, but the extra fiber comes from chicory root, which humans can't digest. Instead of feeling full, you feel bloated and gassy.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Make efficient eating a fun game!
    buy some herbs and spices (pepper, cumin, oregano) to up the tastiness of food.
    Eggs, tuna, chicken - all can be cheap. High in protein, low in fat and carbs.
    Fruit helps sweet tooths.
    Cinnamon helps up tastiness of apples, and microwaving them gives you a nice baked apple dessert in no time.
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    A lot of workouts are available on you tube
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

do you have ANY money? if you do i suggest you buy eggs, beans, maybe splurge on a chicken breast, (shredded or block whichever is cheaper) cheese, tuna in a can, tortillas. you can make a bunch of different meals with these things.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well, the good news is that eating less food costs less money. :bigsmile:
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Broke graduate student here... dried beans and lentils, frozen veggies, eggs, fish (frozen or fresh), oatmeal, spices (to make those frozen veggies and dried beans taste yummy)... these are the main staples in my diet. If I'm really careful and in a bind, I can get by on $20/week spent on food.

edited to add: canned tuna. Forgot about that one.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Fitness balls at Walmart run about $9. Lots of videos on how to use them on YouTube.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since college, but here's what I do when things are super tight. Frozen vegies and fruits, in college steamed in a rival hot pot with a spoon of Miso Paste. I bought a LOT of RIPE bananas on sale and when I got home I peeled and froze them and used them to make smoothies, "ice cream", cheap breakfast muffins, etc. I also worked in fast food and asked the manager if I could take home the left overs at the end of the night. Pre packaged salads were my favorite and were just going in the garbage if I didn't take them.

There is a website called hillbilly housewife that has some interresting ideas to accomodate Cheap meals, though they aren't necessarily balanced. BUT, armed with this knowledge and putting it together with some other stuff, you might be able to find what works best for you.

I did a lot of shopping from the clearance racks for shampoo and free up more grocery money. I also walked with my head down on the search for quarters that people dropped. Every once in a while it was a dollar!

Oh...and I walked or roller skated everywhere. (yeah, stop laughing at my age!)