Green Smoothies are great for getting in all those VEG servi

Options
CeleryStalker
CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
I've been meaning to come on here and make a post about green smoothies but I've been so dang busy lately, all I've had a chance to do is log my stuff and reply to other's posts. At any rate, here I am now, to tout the awesomeness of green smoothies.

Don't think a big mug of blended up salad greens will taste good? Seek out a juice bar in your area to try one out. You'll be amazed. Then once you're hooked, you can start making them at home. Why do I advise going to get one professionally made first? Because most likely, they will be making it in a Vitamix or similar super blender, which will yield a much smoother, creamier end product. Making them in a regular blender will produce a slightly more course, less smooth/creamy end product and might turn you off at first.

The recipe I make the most is as follows:

Spinach- 2 cups
Pineapple- half cup
Mango- 1 small wedge, about the size of one orange segment
Orange Juice- 1/2 ounce
Maca powder- 2 tablespoons
Ginger- very small amount, about the size of a kernel of corn
Coconut oil- 1 tsp

169 calories
30g carbs
4g fat (HEALTHY fat)
4g protein

If you have any awesome green smoothie recipes to share, please add them to this thread! :drinker:

Replies

• soycele
    Options
    thanks this sounds awesome
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have made a good smoothie out of spinach, blueberries, hemp protein and almond milk, mmm.
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    My next purchase will be a blender, so I can incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet. I understand carrots blend well in most blenders and a friend of mine has had quite a lot of success using an inexpensive blender, which is what I will be getting.
    Thanks for the recipe. I have never had spinach but I know that is a good one to eat. May I ask how many of the daily serving of fruits and veggies go into that one smoothie? how much does it make, ounces wise? I am hoping to take mine to work with me in a thermos for later consumption.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    My “green” smoothie is actually PURPLE! Due to blueberries the colour doesn’t appear green which is better for those of you who are scared to incorporate veggies into your smoothies. If you use fresh blueberries it will be mildly green with blue flecks.

½ cup frozen blueberries
    1 cup frozen mango chunks
    1 cup spinach
    ½ cup water
    1/2 cup ice

* Add more water if necessary.

Only 2 WW Points! 162 calories,1 g fat and 7 g fiber. If you use juice I recommend a low cal one like cranberry or apple juice that is 15-20 calories per ½ glass.

Regarding blending carrots in the above post, I’ve done that but they were shredded (I just kept peeling with the peeler). I don’t recommend trying to blend carrots if they are just chopped. You can’t taste carrots in a smoothie either which is great!
  • qwho
    qwho Posts: 157
    Options
    thanks heather! sounds great and I intend to use frozen fruits
    and for the tip about the carrots, I was told baby carrots would
    work just fine