QUESTION for the ladies! period & weight related

Options
2»

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    It won't really affect your weight by skipping a period. The blood and tissue lost from a period is something like 1 tsp on average. That's a very small amount.

Says who?!

http://myperiodblog.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/fun-menstruation-facts/

Seriously! Who are they interviewing for these stats?? Would be nice to only lose a few teaspoons. Try a couple of cups over a week's time. Kotex would be out of business if it were only a spot here and there. They need to interview girls over the age of 12 for this!
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It won't really affect your weight by skipping a period. The blood and tissue lost from a period is something like 1 tsp on average. That's a very small amount.
    A teaspoon???? What kind of light periods are you having? I'm jealous! LOL! For me it looks more like a teaspoon per tampon on a regular period day! :laugh:

But anyway, I wouldn't know about skipping periods and I'm a daily weigher so I'm pretty in tune with my fluctuations (even if I don't always know exactly what causes them) but just before and during the first half of my period I gain a few pounds of what I assume is "water weight". Even though I think the blood and tissue is more than a teaspoon, I agree that it isn't enough to affect the scale. It's not like you're losing a pound of blood all at once or even over the whole cycle.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options

Says who?!

Seriously! Who are they interviewing for these stats?? Would be nice to only lose a few teaspoons. Try a couple of cups over a week's time. Kotex would be out of business if it were only a spot here and there. They need to interview girls over the age of 12 for this!
    Cups? CUPS? If you are losing cups of blood during a period, that is abnormal. You should see your doctor.
  • kristirlk
    kristirlk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the websites.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I crave badly, lose then when period hits then put on about 2lbs never a good weigh in week. That's from past experiences anyway, will be interesting to see what happens this time round as have just started tracking again.
  • taracrops
    taracrops Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    eurgh i know what you mean... Im T.O.M at the moment and have put 3lb on!!! So annoying when you work so hard and still put weight on!!
  • harms97
    harms97 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-4 pounds during my period, it's frustrating but it's temporary.
  • holagatita
    holagatita Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I usually gain anywhere from 2-5lbs while I'm on it and get back to normal after it Plus I get soooo bloated its gross!
  • joellemorin
    joellemorin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I never weight myself just before or during my period, because the scale easily shows a 2-3 pounds extra. It's all water weight, but it's still frustrating. So i avoid the scale until I stop bleeding, just to not freak out (and be discouraged, even though i KNOW it's just water retention...)
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You LOSE during that time? Dang. I GAIN several pounds.

I've lost 11 lbs since joining MFP...about 20 in the last 4 or 5 weeks. My clothing is all lose on me and I've been walking around feeling so skinny in my clothes. Until my period. Felt like a SHIP all this past weekend!

^^^ This ^^^

Amy
  • mineownself
    Options
    just food for thought...is there a remote possibility that maybe you gained a little muscle???? That would explain the little bit o' weight, but no measurement change. This may be a good thing..... the missing of the cycle could simply be coincidence :)
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well you are supposed to actually burn 50-100 extra calories a day during your period, from blood loss. I don't know how true it is. For me when I start I have no appetite, it's the week before that gives me the munchies!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Well you are supposed to actually burn 50-100 extra calories a day during your period, from blood loss. I don't know how true it is. For me when I start I have no appetite, it's the week before that gives me the munchies!

Really? That'd be awesome of that was true!

I don't gain much weight at all but I bloat hugely (super embarassing!)
  • iheartpink86
    iheartpink86 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    hmm never really noticed.. I'm not on anything at this time, I feel like if I do get back on it, I would gain weight, and get breakouts. My body sensitive
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I always gain right before and drop some right after, which was disheartening this morning when I got on the scale and was two pounds up from where I should've been and getting ready to be quite upset with myself following a binge which now makes sense because everything I was craving had high protein or iron levels (cheese, beans, protein shake, and a ton of veggies. I could've eaten myself into a coma. Didn't even log the binge because I felt so guilty about it)

I'm going to wait for two days after Uncle ToM leaves and weigh again. By then I should be down a few pounds.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

Says who?!

Cups? CUPS? If you are losing cups of blood during a period, that is abnormal. You should see your doctor.

OMG I really needed that laugh. :)
  • RingTailedFox
    RingTailedFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 2-8 lbs the week before my period and I don't drop it until after my period ceases. Totally normal. You'll regulate even if you double up on your packs.