Choosing activity level - SAHM

Options
I have a 2 1/2 year old and a newborn.

I picked my activity level as sedentary, but it only gives me 1200 calories a day and feels a bit restrictive sometimes.

I know I don't sit for very long, but I am afraid to change it to lightly active b/c I am striving for maximum weight loss.

Are there any other SAHM that have their setting at lightly active and are still losing weight?

Replies

• wendinoggle
    wendinoggle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM to four kids. I picked activity as light. But I have a treadmill and go for walks every night, so I get more calories for the exercise. Right now, knowing I will be able to eat more if I exercise is my motivation to exercise.
  • nat8199
    nat8199 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I put my activity level as sedentary and then I just eat back any calories I burn through intentional exercise.
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Get a Fitbit. It will tell you how active you really are.
  • pgrewing
    pgrewing Posts: 15
    Options
    I second the advice on the Fitbit. If you can afford one, that is the only way to go.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You need to log your exercise and eat those calories back. That makes 1200 net turn into 1500 or 1700 or more that you are eating. Walking a toddler around - or carrying one - is exercise. If you can afford it, try a fitbit. It automatically adds those calories in. Exercise calories make all the difference in the world.

It IS a long time. The weight may come off quickly, but to keep it off, you have to stay low for a long time.
  • elpurple
    elpurple Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am sedentary level on MFP but you striiv and it links your steps and calories burnt to your mfp. So if I burn 200 calories walking then striiv will update mfp and I can if I want eat 200 cals more x
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I stay home with my kids and have my activity set to "lightly active." If you're chasing after a kid, changing diapers, making food, cleaning up, etc. then you are not sedentary. Being a SAHM, while it does give you a chance to sit down, is not the same as sitting at a desk job for 9 hours a day. I've managed to lose 23 lbs on this setting.
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM to two girls ages 1 and 3. I also babysit an 8 month old and a 7 year old. I am set to lightly active and have 1200 cal/day. I eat back all exercise calories and have lost 24 lbs. since April 1.
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.com/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

Find your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). that is the amount of calories you expend in an average day. take the tdee (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calculated and depending on your weight loss goal, shoot for 80-90% of that number. Remember to keep it above your BMR. My BMR is 1574, TDEE is 2165, 80% of TDEE is 1732. I set my calories for 1600 but do eat back most to all exercise. I've only been doing it around a week and am losing weight. I've seen the same general feedback on here (losing weight) by following that method. I would suggest sedentary level and you should see higher than 1200 (I think at least).
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm a Work at Home Mom and have my activity set to lightly active, on 1300 calories a day (trying to lose 1.5 pounds a week for a few weeks to shake my body out of its rut). I am doing the couch 2 5k program and my husband and I go trail walking a few times a week. And of course there is the chasing of the four year old!

If you're set to sedentary, then just make sure to log all of your exercise-walks, cycling, etc. Then eat your calories back!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM as well. I, also, have a fitbit and have am pretty sedentary according to it on lazy days.

What I've discovered:
    1- I apparently burn more calories then fitbit and mfp think. (averaging 2lbs per week loss with only 1lb per week setting)
    2- Shopping trips (even short ones to grab one or two items) will bump me up to lightly active.
    3- Taking a walk can bump me up to at least lightly active (depends on length).
    4- Deep Cleans (moving furniture, steam cleaning carpet, ect) bumps me to lightly active. Regular cleaning (picking up toys, dishes, ect) isn't enough to take me out of sedentary.
    5- Exercise won't move me to lightly active unless I do at least an hour (ya...not gonna happen :tongue: )

So I have mine set at lightly active and just take penalties on my lazy days (fitbit deducts calories).

As for calories consumed vs loss, here are my recent 90 day reports. Oh and keep in mind, I'm only 5'4.5". So it's not like I'm really tall or anything.

First graph is Total Calories consumed:
    dyt88x.png

Even scarier is my Net Calories graph: (total - exercise)
    2re4ms1.png

And my weight loss (I weigh at random times):
    2qb6f41.png
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set to lightly active. (Or is it moderately? Can't remember.) I start with a base of 1390 calories, plus exercise calories. Maybe I could theoretically lose weight faster if I chose sedentary, but I don't think I could stick with a plan that low, so it's academic. Usually I end up eating 1500-1800 calories a day.
  • touchafaith
    touchafaith Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a sahm for a 3 year old and a 5 month old. I have my profile set to sedentary but then i log the minutes/hours spent cleaning or any walking i do etc as this all adds extra calories to your day so i suppose it's similar to setting your profile to litghtly activr and not putting activities like cleaning in. Ive lost 11lbs in 4 weeks this way. Hope this helps and congratulations on your new arrival!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Work at home parents are not sedentary, but that's why you log your exercise.

(I stayed at home with my eldest 'til he was 5, then switched with his dad who has been home with my kids for the past 20.)

BTW, a pedometer is much cheaper than a fitbit and it will help you know how much you're walking.
  • t4eaed
    t4eaed Posts: 25
    Options
    thanks everyone! Very informative and helpful!!!:smile: