How often do you eat?

Options
I realize that I usually get hungry every 3 hours or so. It was never really apparent to me in the past few years, as I was in college, my eating habits were irregular, and I was just too busy or stressed to think too much about when I was hungry/when to eat. So by the time I usually did eat - I ate a lot, and I ate a lot of bad things.

Now that I'm working and I spend a great deal of time just sitting and reading (I'm a research fellow at the moment), I have been a lot more in tune with how often I really do get hungry.

Do you eat every few hours - smaller meals? Or do you eat a few big meals a day?

I'm figuring since I get hungry every 3 hours or so, and I have a pretty fast metabolism (generally because of my dad, and because of my age- I'm 22), that small meals every 3 hours makes sense for me.

So any feedback/stories? How often do you eat?

I'm also currently trying to lose weight right now.

Height: 5'0
Current weight: 138 lbs
Goal weight: 108 lbs.

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I practice intermittent fasting (leangains) 16:8. Meaning I fast for 16 hours and eat according to my macros 8 hours a day. This usually translates into a large lunch and dinner with snacks in between. I've had success using this method. That's not to say eating at a deficit won't cause you to lose weight either. This just fits my lifestyle.
  • WaylonGuitar
    WaylonGuitar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My inner meal clock works out to about 5 meals a day. I eat breakfast.. a mid morning snack... lunch.. Then a big break and then dinner and a snack/small meal around 9 pm. I'm very simple about my diet. I don't follow the stuff about "eat 10 small meals" and all that. I'm a calories in/out type of guy. But yeah. I eat about 5 meals based on when I get hungry and not letting myself get TOO hungry..
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2-3 hours. I have breakfast at 9, a mid morning snack of an apple or pear at 11, lunch at 1, a yogurt at 2, a snack between 4 and 4:30, tea at 7 and a pre-bedtime snack at 8. Looking at it like that, I eat a lot ha!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I eat one meal at night after I workout
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I usually break it into 4 or 5 "meals" but that's more a matter of practicality. My calorie goals are pretty high, and following the traditional 3-meal setup it would make it very difficult for me to cram enough calories into breakfast and lunch, both of which I eat at the office.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Usually every 2-4 hours, it really depends on when I get hungry and how hungry I get. I find that if I have small high protein / low cal snacks a day, I don't super stuff my face when I eat my actual meals.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I try to eat every 4-5 hours atleast.