People/Things at the Gym who Motivate You

Options
JeremiahStone
JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
We talk a lot about people and things at the gym which annoy the crap out of us. But I'm sure we also have people and things at the gym who help motivate us!

The really elderly who come to work out. Major respect!!

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    The morbidly obese that I see working as hard as they can..
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The beginner at boxing who uses the heavier gloves.

Retired people working hard and who are already very fit.

Members of our step class who use 2 or 3 risers on each side.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Saw this dude in a wheelchair rolling around the gym looking for something to do. He pulled up next to an elliptical and somehow got himself onto the machine. It took him a good 10 minutes... I'm not sure what his ailment was but he got his legs on the elliptical and went at it. I was like, "Welp. No excuses." and went beast mode and did a set of 47 pistol squats.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    There are few that go to my gym that I have mad respect for, one is an old guy who gets in there and just works his butt off. He is a big guy (not muscle big either) who puts forth as much or more effort than anyone else in the gym. Then there are a few solid, gigantic guys that when they lift (bench press, squat, etc) I sometimes find something else to do so I can just watch them. I hope to someday be able to lift as much as they do, but I'm not there right now. There are a few girls as well who just impress me, one of them is on my FL. Just watching them put forth effort into lifting and proper form and not being afraid to walk back into the free weight area.

Also, my wife. She gets in there and most of the time she is kicking butt whether it be the elliptical, bench press, squats, OHP, deadlift...whatever. She's pretty awesome to watch as well.

od4Zf52.jpg
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The guy I see running around the track on a prosthetic because his leg was blown off by an IED. Makes it really hard to say "I'm too sore to run, today".
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    A 78 year old retired trainer taught me how to lift. Him.
  • carbons2k
    carbons2k Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The hot chicks that work behind the counter. yea... them!
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    A 78 year old retired trainer taught me how to lift. Him.
    Gee, I wonder what motivated him to do that.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I go to a small all girls gym and we have a board that we post before photos on along with our goals. We keep each other accountable and it is encouraging to share the victories with each other!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    There are few that go to my gym that I have mad respect for, one is an old guy who gets in there and just works his butt off. He is a big guy (not muscle big either) who puts forth as much or more effort than anyone else in the gym. Then there are a few solid, gigantic guys that when they lift (bench press, squat, etc) I sometimes find something else to do so I can just watch them. I hope to someday be able to lift as much as they do, but I'm not there right now. There are a few girls as well who just impress me, one of them is on my FL. Just watching them put forth effort into lifting and proper form and not being afraid to walk back into the free weight area.

Also, my wife. She gets in there and most of the time she is kicking butt whether it be the elliptical, bench press, squats, OHP, deadlift...whatever. She's pretty awesome to watch as well.

od4Zf52.jpg

your wife motivates me! I wanna lift the plates like that!!!

I'll get there....i will.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Saw this dude in a wheelchair rolling around the gym looking for something to do. He pulled up next to an elliptical and somehow got himself onto the machine. It took him a good 10 minutes... I'm not sure what his ailment was but he got his legs on the elliptical and went at it. I was like, "Welp. No excuses." and went beast mode and did a set of 47 pistol squats.

That's awesome!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't see her a lot because we work-out at different times, but there is an elderly lady who was morbidly obese. She comes in there and busts her butt on the elliptical and on the weight machines. She hoots and calls, "Dear Jesus," when her work-out gets tough, and it honestly makes me emotional to watch her and see how far she's come. She's no longer morbidly obese and looks freakin' amazing. I want her autograph.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    YES. My fiance and I lift together. There's another couple there at the same time...and he's SUCH a jerkkk! She can do more pull-ups than me. There's an unspoken couple's rivalry and we always try to outdo each other. I thrive on competition. :P
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Booty and boobies jiggling in the gym..... If that doesn't motivate you to go to the gym... YOU HAVE PROBLEMS!!!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The guy I see running around the track on a prosthetic because his leg was blown off by an IED. Makes it really hard to say "I'm too sore to run, today".

We have one that frequents our gym as well, nothing short of amazing what he does. He is my inspiration.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    a 34 year old who is now a trainer, use to be a lot heavier and all her kin people, I mean all of them are 300 lbs plus. She looks great and made up her mind not to be that way! Also, another trainer teaching the class I was in, he is in his early 30s, took time to help me and told me about MFP!
  • kju52
    kju52 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Big Girls with NO shame - Love 'em
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    The morbidly obese that I see working as hard as they can..

Yep, this was me and I always felt like the most awkward person in the room, but now I see someone like I was and am thankful for the inspiration!
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    pretty much everybody working out and not screwing around