Gaining weight back

Options
So I just realized last week that I was supposed to be eating back my calories that I exercise off. So I have been doing just that, okay not completely. I usually have like 28 calories or so still under my net of 1200 but that isn't too many under. The thing I have noticed is that since I started eating back my calories from exercise I am also gaining back the weight I lost the previous 2 weeks :(. I don't know what to do. I don't want to gain back the weight I already worked off because I am doing things the right way. So frustrated right now and I am afraid of what the scale is going to say tomorrow morning on my official weigh in day.

Replies

• cfergusontx
    Options
    I never eat back my workout calories. I kind of feel like that defeats the purpose.
  • raj6pack
    raj6pack Posts: 8
    Options
    Same here. even i never eat back my workout calories. I try to stay at least 100cals below my target of 1800cals
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my workout calories. I kind of feel like that defeats the purpose.

You don't have to eat back your calories if your calorie intake already includes being active. Her daily goal is only 1200, which is the minimum end and does not include activity, therefore, she should be eating her exercise calories back. If you are being accurate with your food and you are being accurate with your exercise calories, you are not gaining fat back. More than likely you are retaining water. Also, it would be a good idea to take your measurements to see changes of body composition. There are times when the scale won't move, but because muscle is more dense than fat, your body fat percentage may still be going down.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten back my work out calories either, and now after 5 weeks, I am beginning to stall.
    I too am confused. I don't want to go into starvation mode. The MFP net calories is
    calculated for eating back burned calories. It's hard to know how to do this.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

You don't have to eat back your calories if your calorie intake already includes being active. Her daily goal is only 1200, which is the minimum end and does not include activity, therefore, she should be eating her exercise calories back. If you are being accurate with your food and you are being accurate with your exercise calories, you are not gaining fat back. More than likely you are retaining water. Also, it would be a good idea to take your measurements to see changes of body composition. There are times when the scale won't move, but because muscle is more dense than fat, your body fat percentage may still be going down.
    This is very helpful. Thank you.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I eat them back and still lose. However, I do not follow MFP 100%. I use my TDEE and used MFP as a means to estimate calories burned and to track cals.

Also, MFP doesnt quite account for level of activity as say TDEE calculators do and even then one must assume a 5-10% margin for error.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is low even for a 5'0 tall 100b woman. 1200 calories is simply way too low if you ask anyone. (I'm just using 5'0 100lbs as an example of someone that should be eating 1200 to lose weight. )
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of my cals, depends on how hungry I am. I've done so for the last 1.5 years. I've lost 70 lbs. You can eat them back and still lose.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would assume that it is water weight gain, which isn't too much to worry about and easy to lose again. I wouldn't worry too much right now, unless it keeps occurring. If it does keep happening then I would change something. Hope things get better for ya.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have been eating back my work out cals and I still lose weight. Slowly and steady keeps the weight away.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    So I just realized last week that I was supposed to be eating back my calories that I exercise off. So I have been doing just that, okay not completely. I usually have like 28 calories or so still under my net of 1200 but that isn't too many under. The thing I have noticed is that since I started eating back my calories from exercise I am also gaining back the weight I lost the previous 2 weeks :(. I don't know what to do. I don't want to gain back the weight I already worked off because I am doing things the right way. So frustrated right now and I am afraid of what the scale is going to say tomorrow morning on my official weigh in day.

I would suggest you take a look at your numbers. While I recognize we don't know "exactly" how many calories we consume, or 'exactly' how many calories we expend, these estimates are here to help us reach our goals in a healthy way.

If based on your specifics, MFP has suggested 1200 calories per day. You are eating roughly 1200 calories per day, and burning say, 300 calories from exercise, your net for the day is 900. So essentially, your body has 900 calories for the day to fuel its normal activities. This is NOT what has been recommended for you to reach your goals in the time you've specified you'd like to do so. While it may be tempting to "net" less than suggested, please keep in mind that less, is not necessarily better.

Weight fluctuations are normal and will continue to happen. Try not to stress about sudden changes on the scale, when you know there have been recent changes in what you've consumed.

Also, I eat back my exercise calories. I try to stick to within 100 calories of my recommended amount. Haven't had any issues with gaining.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

The net calories MFP gives you is set for you to meet your goal Without Exercise. When you add exercise, that's why the calories go up. If you're set at 1275 calories with a goal of 1.5 lbs lost per week, this is supposed to do it for you in your lifestyle outside the gym. Therefore, when you burn more calories outside of your daily profile, the net allowed calories go up. You don't have to eat them all back, but it FAR from defeats the purpose.

If I didn't eat most of mine back I could be at an 1100+ calorie deficit each day.
  • geniamoody
    Options
    You mentioned yesterday that you are tired all the time. So was I, so I went to the doctor and had blood work done. I have a thyroid problem. This relates to this post because I exercise a lot and with the thyroid problem, I cannot eat back my calories if I want to lose weight. If I do eat my calories back, then I stall or gain. When I'm 200-400 under, I lose.
  • OtakuMusician
    OtakuMusician Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is why I work out late at night, so I don't eat back my burnt calories.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    When you add more grams of food you are increasing the amount of waste storage in your bowels (we can hold up to 9lbs of waste).
    You will also naturally be consuming more sodium, which will in turn cause you to gain some water weight, you are not gaining fat, be patient and the weight on the scale will go back down.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

But you're supposed to. Your deficit is already built in. That's why your allowed caloric intake increases as you log exercise. There is already a 500 calorie deficit built in. If I, personally speaking, didn't eat back my calories I could be at an 1100+ caloric deficit each day. (700+ from exercise, and 500 from the built in deficit).
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of my calories back after exercise. Its sort of a mind over matter thing for me, if I log my exercise calories I think that I can pig out so most of the time I don't even log exercise.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I found that when I first joined MFP, I had no idea how to calculate my TDEE and sometimes I do alot of sitting for work.. so when I would log a 30 minute walk I would be eating 1300 cals a day with eating the exercise cals. I gained, and I became frustrated. I then purchased a fitbit (not saying go out and buy one) and found that through my daily activity (without workouts) I should have been eating 1400-1500 cals a day depending.. (this also included a 750 cal deficit a day). As soon as I stopped concentrating on the 1200 number and just on keeping the deficit consistent, I started losing again. Good Luck!
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    This post isn't for OP, it's for the other people who don't understand what they're doing to themselves.

Example 1: I maintain my current weight at 1900 calories a day.

If I ate 1900 calories everyday and exercised at the gym burning off 500 calories, my NET calories would be 1400 and I'd have a 500 calorie deficit. Thus I'd lose 1lb a week. In this scenario I would not eat back my exercise calories because the only way I'm creating my deficit is through exercise.

Example 2: I maintain my current weight at 1900 calories a day

If I ate 1400 calories a day I would be creating a 500 calorie deficit daily and would lose 1 lb a week. Next month I decide to start exercising at the gym and burn off 400 calories. If I don't eat back those calories, I will have 1400-400=1000 NET calorie intake, not enough calories for my body to run and a 900 calorie deficit, which is too high considering I don't much weight to lose.

If you are already creating a deficit by eating less calories than you need to maintain your weight, you NEED to eat back your exercise calories, or you will end up losing a lot of lean muscle mass.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

That makes absolutely no difference haha!