Does this seem correct to you?

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
Hi!

I used the highly recommended scooby calculator this morning, and here is what my info is:

Female, currently 175lbs, 67 inches (5'7), and I am 23.

Currently, I do 3x weight training (just started stronglifts 5x5 yesterday) and spin for an hr 2x a week. So my activity level is set to 1-3 hrs/week of light exercise cuz the stronglifts don't take me that long.

My goal is to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. I really eat 3 main meals a day with snacks in between so I just chose 3 meals/day

My macros are set at the auto-set of 40% protein, 40% carb , and 20% fat

This is what it is giving me as the output:

My BMR is 1616 calories. My TDEE to maintain weight is 2222 calories.

APPARENTLY if I want to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, I need to eat 2222 calories per day, which is my tdee....

Is this accurate? That seems so high!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It sounds about right. If you also want to lose weight, you would need to eat at a small deficit. But because you said you want to gain muscle, it won't put you at a deficit.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    It sounds about right. If you also want to lose weight, you would need to eat at a small deficit. But because you said you want to gain muscle, it won't put you at a deficit.
    yuuuup.

give it 4-6 weeks. reassess from that point.
  • j99li
    Options
    so to gain muscle while losing weight, I cannot eat at a deficit?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That seems close to me, from the info you've given. It's certainly not high at all.
  • trogalicious
    Options

correct. Are you wanting to build muscle or just "tone" so people can see the muscle underneath?

FYI: I hate the term "tone."
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You may gain a small bit of muscle if you are new to lifting heavy, they call this "newbie gains". But, the muscle you have will look bigger and more noticeable as you build strength and lose fat. As the fat comes off, you will see the muscle.
  • j99li
    Options
    I know what you mean by that word. I still have about 20lbs to lose but I dont want to lose out on my LBM. So I dont know if eating that much will just make me gain weight

correct. Are you wanting to build muscle or just "tone" so people can see the muscle underneath?

• trogalicious
    Options
    I know what you mean by that word. I still have about 20lbs to lose but I dont want to lose out on my LBM. So I dont know if eating that much will just make me gain weight

So just maintain existing muscle tone and cut fat? Just eat at a slim deficit... -5% of your TDEE and roll from there.
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    what was the calculator you used?
  • j99li
    Options
    what was the calculator you used?

the scooby calculator
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I use the Mifflin St. Jeor equation becuse I like to do the math myself, and my calculations come out to pretty much the same numbers. That equation has proven pretty accurate for me and I've largely succeeded in my "maintenance" goal since I joined last year.

I fully empathize with the "sticker shock" when you see the numbers these calculators produce, because my numbers were higher than I anticipated.

I'd say trust the math for a bit and, if the results over time are what you're looking for, stick with it. Personally, I prefer to know my maintenance goals and keep those as my MFP goals and then I can lose or gain by eating above and below that number.