New and confused...

Options
I have been working out steadily for the last year and hit a plateu about six months ago. I recently signed up with a personal trainer and he has been doing strength training with me. I feel like it will work, but I am confused. My Fitness Pal is saying to eat only 1200 calories a day - that is going to be HARD to do! My trainer has told me to drink a protein shake at least twice a day - each shake has 120 calories. So that leaves me with less than 1,000 calories to eat?

Replies

• krizrose
    Options
    As you put in your exercises, your allotted calories increases
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    according to the MFP system, you're supposed to eat back most of your exercise calories - you'll see that it adds it to your food log. The 1200 cal/day to reach your goal does not take any exercise into consideration. If you're exercising alot, you'll need more fuel! Log your exercise, and eating some of those calories back will help make it more manageable. I'm on 1200 cal/day, but I usually eat 1300-1600 due to exercise (50-75% of my exercise caloris). I've been losing weight steadily.
  • alexialawson
    Options
    Yep; Strength training and cardiovascular will give you "extra" calories.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You don't need the protein shakes. I HATE that trainers push those things.

You get enough protein (and better quality and your body absorbs it better) from real food. Drop the shakes and eat REAL FOOD for those 240 calories.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Im only 5'4" and find that I have to eat at least 1300 calories on days I don't exercise, or just go for a leisurely walk with my dogs. Days that I do strength training or really vigorus cardio I MUST get in at least 1450 calories, or more, or the scale does not move.
    I completely agree with rml_16 . . . eat healthy REAL food and real protein first, if you find you need a few more calories on heavy workout days then opt for a protein shake but don't rely on them daily.
    My motto with food is "did my grandparents eat this"? If I can't pronounce some of the ingredients or if it is prepared I don't eat it, and many of those shakes fall into this category.