Finding it hard to eat when you notice how little others eat

Options
Hello, I am trying to recover from restricting but I find it incredibly hard to eat when I notice how little everybody else eats.
Does any one else have this problem? I will plan out a healthy day but then I notice no one else is eating so I think that I don't have to either....

Replies

• Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    yup, i am eating 2500 cals a day coming from a 1600 cal diet for 5 months. Its hard but it gets easier when you realize your body wont just pile on the fat
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am trying to recover from restricting but I find it incredibly hard to eat when I notice how little everybody else eats.
    Does any one else have this problem? I will plan out a healthy day but then I notice no one else is eating so I think that I don't have to either....

I only went back a handful of days and if you are logging everything, you aren't even getting 800 calories a day. It sounds like it would be helpful to distance yourself from those that fuel the restricting behaviors.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Just remember you don't see everything other people eat.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't really care what others eat. That has nothing to do with me.

I know what I need to eat for good health & fat loss so I do it. My goal is not to eat the same way other people eat; it is to be the best, healthiest me I can be.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If others aren't eating, they are wreaking havoc on their metabolisms and are not "healthy"! I look at people with the physique that I want (fit and STRONG, not bone skinny) and I see what they eat... and MAN, those women EAT! I've been eating clean and lots more than I have before in my life and I haven't been packing on the pounds. I also lift heavy and don't look like a man... I've got a better physique than I've had in my entire life. Eat for health. Don't worry about what others do!
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you don't see what everyone eats all day and that everyone is different. What might be right for someone else's body may be completely wrong for yours.

Also, even if someone doesn't eat that much, and they are thin, that doesn't mean that they are healthy.

Mostly just try to keep improving your relationship with food. You need to eat in order to accomplish everything you want to.
  • _skinnydreaming
    Options
    I think it's important to remember that just because someone's diary looks low, it doesn't mean it really is. there may be certain foods that they're too embarrassed to log, and so we don't see.

secondly, it may sound harsh, but I've deleted quite a few friends who have very low calorie diaries. I know they need support, but I have to support myself first! I've had issues with food, and I can't be in a co-dependent relationship with other people who's actions are detrimental to my own progress.
  • msladydove
    msladydove Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I am just getting started so I hope you are not comparing my diary to what others eat.... Not only that I am going to make a doctors appointment to have some blood work done because I do have a thyroid and cholestrol problem and I do not want to harm myself trying to keep up with what everyone else is eating. It is important for me to be able stay healthy while I diet and excersize. I need to create a diet that is tailored for me so I can take off the pounds in a healthy way.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    At work I actually find that everyone else eats a lot and I'm terribly hungry :(
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Who are you comparing yourself to? If it's friends on MFP, de-friend them. Most of my friends list eats above 1800 calories.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It depends who "they" are. If you're hanging out with like minded people who don't eat then I'd find some other people to hang out with. If you're comparing yourself to others on here then stop doing it. Lots of people here don't log honestly or only sporadically.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Uhm, no.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    How do you know they are tracking everything, find friends with open Dairy's that actually eat, might give you some ideas
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What kind of crowd are you hanging out with that doesn't eat? And why would you care if someone is starving themselves anyway? Let them do their own thing.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Nope, never had this problem. I figured if my friends or acquaintances or co-workers or 'whomever' didn't want to eat that was THEIR problem not mine. I never 'pre-ate' before a date or picked at the food then ate after either.

On the flip side, I don't over eat 'cause others are either...no, that I can do all by myself, thankyouverymuch.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No. I hang out with people that like to eat. But mainly, I just tell myself that they don't have to live with my decisions of what I choose to eat... I do. So, it doesn't matter what they eat, or what they say or think I should eat. All that matters is what I can live with. I know what I need to be doing, so... I can either do it... or feel guilty about not doing it.

And if your friends are fellow restrict-ers, maybe by seeing you eat, they'll feel more ok about eating too. Be a positive influence. :flowerforyou:
  • janerfitnesspal145
    janerfitnesspal145 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Like others who have replied, I don't compare what I eat to others, because it sets you up for an eating disorder. By reviewing your diary though, unless you're only 4'10" and 80 years old, you're not getting enough calories, and you are way, way too low on protein (unless your goal is to be skinny fat, not healthy). A gentle suggestion is that if seeing how little others eat (the ones on MFP with eating disorders who join to share their starvation techniques with other like minded individuals) causes you to feel guilty, either stop looking at their diaries or un-friend them.

As an FYI. My mother (she's almost 75) just joined MFP. She wants to lose 8-10 pounds, but mainly joined because she has some diet restrictions due to health issues and MFP makes tracking easier than the notebook she was using. She exercises and walks everyday (puts most of us to shame), is 5'4" and usually eats around 1,400 calories or more, depending on her exercise. A few months back we figured out that with the calories she was burning on exercise, she was only netting around 800-900 calories a day...and not losing any weight. Now that she's upped her calories to a healthy amount, she is slowly losing those few pounds.
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR and eat at least that. Start there.

As someone who suffered from ED all throughout my teens, Im telling you, youre doing much more harm than good restricting.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have one friend comment to me when she comes around for lunch that she can't believe how much food I eat at lunch. It's a good case of where looks are decieving. When the food choices are healthy - like lots of veges - you can eat a lot more and lose weight. Also to factor into this is my friend is retired with an even more sedentary lifestyle than what mine is so her needs are different to begin with.

Comparing what you eat with what others eat is self-defeating. Often that's what causes a weight problem - others are eating that huge hunk of chocolate cake slathered in chocolate sauce with a side of cream and ice cream, so so can I too.... get the picture?

Eat what you know is healthy for your body and activity levels. This is about your life, so live it!

All the best!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    This is not a competition with others, it's about being healty for yourself.