Losing energy from high protein shakes?

Options
Anyone else feel sluggish after drinking a protein shake? I like the convenience and taste of HP shakes, but seem to lose energy after drinking them. Anyone else out there experiencing the same thing?

Replies

• vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    maybe its difficult for you to digest?

some proteins are easier on your digestive system than others, maybe you need to try another type.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Nope, I feel find after a protein shake!
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    lack of carbs
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    lack of carbs

Ditto
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    lack of carbs

this you want your carbs for energy and your protein to muscle build
  • umieto
    umieto Posts: 46
    Options
    Are you using them as a meal? And do you mean sluggish immediately after? If it's a lean protein shake (i.e. minimal carb content) then you won't get much immediate energy from it because protein is digested and used differently than carbs. Carbohydrates in shakes are usually the short chained kind and so digest very quickly and provide a fairly immediate source of energy. Low-carb shakes won't provide this.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. Some people do struggle with protein shakes but I normally hear that people feel nauseous or bloated after.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Sluggish immediately after drinking the shake or during the rest of the day?

If it's the former I would say that maybe you are allergic or intolerant to the one or more of the ingredients in which case you might want to get an allergy test done, or if it's whey isolate then it may be because of the fast digesting nature. Are you having the shake eg on it's own for breakfast on an empty stomach? If so then you might want to add some carbs/fats to the shake.

If you are feeling sluggish during the day it may be because you replacing carbs too much with protein. Try to get a minimum of 0.8g of protein per lb of lean body mass, roughly 0.4g of fats per lb of bodyweight and the remainder with carbs.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks, one and all. I'll try uppin' the carbs and a different form of protein and see what happens...have been craving rice and potatoes the last week. Still getting the hang of listening to my body and finding a good balance.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake in the morning with 29 grams of protein and 3 net carbs. I then go to the gym and do 2 water aerobics classes and yoga. I have an abundance of energy. I also do low carb.