Zumba..

Options
Can anyone do Zumba? Even with no rhythm? I'm looking for a fitness class to do....(nothing super hard on the joints and fun)
Thanks

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I have very little rhythm and have to "dumb down" some bits. Still enjoy it and so long as I keep moving, calories are burned.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great! Today was my first class and I loved it! I've been tap dancing and doing ballet for years so it was pretty easy for me to pick up the steps but otherwise there is no pressure whatsoever. Even if you don't get down each step 100% it's all about the idea that you keep on moving. It's so much fun! I'm definitely doing it again, and I definitely recommend it!
  • sherriwedel
    sherriwedel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    love love LOVE zumba & i am uncoordinated and over weight. a friend invited me to a class about a month ago & that kick started my journey. now i go to the gym for cardio & weights in the morning every weekday & do zumba in the evenings 3x a week...my 11 year old daughter goes with me. we sweat & move & have fun. some steps i miss but i keep going & figure every movement in there is better than no movement sitting on my couch
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba. I realized I can't quite do it yet, because it hurts my knees. But, I'm looking forward to the day I can!
  • dancer1178
    dancer1178 Posts: 50
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba. I realized I can't quite do it yet, because it hurts my knees. But, I'm looking forward to the day I can!

Have you tried Zumba Gold? It's a modified, slower paced workout for people who have some limitations (older age, old injuries etc. ) You still get to have the fun but don't have to feel the pressure to keep up.
  • dancer1178
    dancer1178 Posts: 50
    Options
    I teach Zumba. All ages, all sizes, all levels! If you find a great instructor than they will make you feel comfortable and show you modifications if you need them. Beginners are always welcome! Zumba is meant to be easy to follow. It's also repetitive so by the end of the song you have a gist of what's going on. It's awesome fun!! Hope you find a class and go!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's pretty easy. You're not going to know all of the moves at first, but each one repeats for a while, so you'll get it.
  • preslyann50
    preslyann50 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs with Zumba! And when I am in class it ranges from teenagers to women in their 60's. Best thing about it is you can truly make it your own workout! Just keep moving and enjoy the music.
  • leilahella
    leilahella Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely try it. Even if you don't follow the steps exactly, jump around, enjoy the music and energy which comes from it :) I have lost a few pounds thanks to Zumba, and it is my favourite exercise. It doesn't feel like hard work at all - more like a party without drunk people and chance to wash properly afterwards. There are many options in Zumba itself - toning, if you want more muscle, or aqua Zumba which is dancy fun in the pool. I am doing Zumba 2x a week at the moment but trying to find third class too :)
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You don't need rhythm. No one knows Zumba before they start it. Everyone starts out in the same boat....mucking up the steps and completely doing it wrong. But by the 3rd or 4th class (at the most), you will be more comfortable and have a hang of the steps.

Personally, I bought a Zumba DVD and that's what I've been doing a few times a week. Though each instructor has their own routines, I wanted to get the basic steps down before I joined a class.

It's super fun though. Give it a try!!
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Echoing: No rhythm required. A good class you'll just have fun at... because frankly those of us with rhythm are screwing up, too. The rule is generally just keep moving as much as you can... have a good time with it. Can't figure out some side-step thing, stand there and shake your butt or something.

The classes I've been have had all different levels of dancers and it made no difference at all. Have a good time with the music, do what you can, sweat your butt off.
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Zumba can be done by ANYONE! It's a great way to get yourself moving. I know a sound like a poster-child for Zumba, but I'm the type of person who needs to like the type of exercise I'm doing to stick with it and I love Zumba! No pain and maxi burns :smile: