quitting smoking and losing weight

Options
I've lost 1 lbs this week. I don't know how because i'm stuffing my face because i quit smoking 4 days ago. I hope this continues tho. I have the cleanest house in town.. LOl.. I'm using nicorette gum and e cigs. . Do you think using the e cigs will hender my quitting smoking? This is the first time I have succeeded 4 days. I have been a smoker since i was 15 years old . I am now 42. What other things can I do to keep me busy. I guess im looking for what others had done who quit successfully and stayed off the cigarettes..

thank you.

Replies

• wendyhas4angels
    wendyhas4angels Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i was a big time smoker until last may when i finally quit! i used the gum and lozenges . you are past the worst part(the first couple days) and honestly it does get easier everyday.My husband smokes so that made it a little harder but i am soooooooooo glad i quit. i dont have to worry about smelling like cigs and the money i saved are a good incentive to stay off the cigs!! my biggest advice is keep busy and dont start agian. the worst is over and i swear you really do feel better FAST!! my personal opinion is to quit the ecigs because you have to learn not to be inhaleing something all day. that was one things i missed was the inhaleing(as weird as that sounds) but now i can inhale so deeply now and i dont get out of breath from walking up stairs!! you can do it just take it one day at a time, you'll be glad you did!!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You just gave me hope. I just quit...like 5 days ago now? I don't know, I'm trying not to think about it.
  • Tiznonay
    Tiznonay Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    e-cigs are a good idea! At least at first... use em as a crutch to help kick the habit. That's what I did. Well, I used a different kind of smokeable that may or may not be legal in your area. :smokin: But it worked for me! (its also legal where I live... just wanna throw that out there)
  • tiffanypacino
    tiffanypacino Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to be a chain smoker. I quit cold turkey over a year ago. I won't lie and say I never had one since, but its been a solid 8 mos. since I had a break down and had one. I think its important to have a support system in place and a plan. Figure out what you will do when you have that craving. Most of the time for me it was a oral fixation (needed something such as sugar free candy, celery, or other frozen fruit). It was the toughest and most rewarding challenge and habit to break. I congratulate you on stepping forward with the journey. I don't know if I agree with ecigs, but that is a personal choice. Keep going you can break the cycle!
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I'm coming out of my own skin. But it is getting easier. Today I didn't have a piece of gum for 2 hours after waking up or the e cig. I took my dog for a walk first thing in the morning. I will tapper down on the e cigs gradually i guess . Your right its a crouch. After meals is the worse tho. I do have regular gum and sugar free butterscotch hard candies. The Nic gum gives me bad hiccups and that weird bubble thing in my thoat.

Thanks guys!
  • MrsMohawk
    Options
    i was a big time smoker until last may when i finally quit! i used the gum and lozenges . you are past the worst part(the first couple days) and honestly it does get easier everyday.My husband smokes so that made it a little harder but i am soooooooooo glad i quit. i dont have to worry about smelling like cigs and the money i saved are a good incentive to stay off the cigs!! my biggest advice is keep busy and dont start agian. the worst is over and i swear you really do feel better FAST!! my personal opinion is to quit the ecigs because you have to learn not to be inhaleing something all day. that was one things i missed was the inhaleing(as weird as that sounds) but now i can inhale so deeply now and i dont get out of breath from walking up stairs!! you can do it just take it one day at a time, you'll be glad you did!!
    My husband is quitting at the same time. but he cheated when i went to bed ..lmao. then the next night i caught him and we both had our last 2 cigarettes at the same time. now we are completely out !
  • MrsMohawk
    Options
    You just gave me hope. I just quit...like 5 days ago now? I don't know, I'm trying not to think about it.
    i hope i get to day 5 . I can't wait to say i haven't smoked for a whole week. and omg the smells i can smell now it's awesome!
  • MrsMohawk
    Options
    e-cigs are a good idea! At least at first... use em as a crutch to help kick the habit. That's what I did. Well, I used a different kind of smokeable that may or may not be legal in your area. :smokin: But it worked for me! (its also legal where I live... just wanna throw that out there)
    I hadn't smoked what you're talking about since i was 18 . Lmao and not going to start again. todays isn't like the 80s kind i'd be a zombie with the stuff thats out there now. :)
  • cpharmon
    cpharmon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My last day as a smoker was August 31, 2012, both my husband and I quit cold turkey! It's one of the best things I've ever done! So I'm almost at the year mark and every now and then I STILL want a cig. Not really, but the habit of smoking, when I smoked, for the reasons I smoked were stronger than the physical addition. So I've come to terms that I'm a nicaholic and will always be tempted. But I won't smoke again. I think it boils down to why a person quits, which in turn is the motivation. For me, yes being healthier, saving money, not stinking, being a good example, all those things are good, but for me to quit it took something bigger. GOD! I knew that I loved him and wanted to be the best I could be for Him so one of the ways to do that was to quit smoking. That sparked a whole new freedom to be me. I just told him my body is His and to remove the additction. He was faithful! I didn't realize smoking was controling my life. Because of smoking I washed my clothes more frequently, washed my hair more frequently, didn't want non-smokers in my car out of embarressment, made people wait on more occasions than I can count so that I could smoke, it dominated my tastebuds ( I now enjoy a healthier diet), the list goes on & on, I'd even be late to work just to pickup some more ciggs. That is crazy! All of that extra to do's are out of my life and I even have more time! LOL! And I am freely serving God in my local church and smell good doing it! :smile: If I can do it, anyone can do it! I started smoking at 12 & I'm 50!
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yeah!! Good for you just stay busy and treat yourself well. When I quit (also with ecigs, they are great!) I spent a lot of time doing fun workouts, doing any hobby stuff I like where I can use my hands (art, crafts, cooking, etc) and doing fun things where I would have never have smoked anyway like movies, museums, etc. And the mall, buying myself presents! Anything to stay distracted and keep stress down, you got this!
  • msaprilm1
    msaprilm1 Posts: 47
    Options
    I quit smoking February 12, 2013 using Ecigs, I did a gradual nicotine reduction and still have a vape pen with 0% nicotine (flavored glycerin) for those stressful times. My guy still smokes but the smell repulses me so he is going to give quitting another try:) Congratulations, you've got this! :flowerforyou:
  • patriotsjunkie
    Options
    i am also on day 5 or so i believe. www.quitnet.com is helpful. i also have an ecig (a crapppppy one but it works) i ordered a new one online with a tank instead drip filters which i also think will be more helpful to me.

BEST OF LUCK to you!

i am finding since i just relocated from boston to california a week or two ago, it's been easier for me to quit here because i have no friends to smoke with <wah & yay i suppose>
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I quit without using any aids because I was afraid they would just delay the withdrawals. I don't know if I could have done it if I lived with another smoker. I threw out everything related to smoking, cigarettes, ashtrays, lighters, everything. When I have a craving, it's too much trouble to get in the car and go somewhere to buy some. It takes a while for the worst cravings to go away, but after a few months, I only get them when I'm really stressed. They vanish in about 3 minutes. if you can hang on for 3 minutes, it's gone.

I didn't gain any weight at all. I went to the movies a lot, though. Anything to get out of the house and go someplace where people aren't smoking.
  • sueclare38
    sueclare38 Posts: 125
    Options
    3 weeks 3 days non smoking using the e-cig, hubby is doing the same too, and I don't have the urge to smoke at all, and my cough has gone(the best bit). Now we have hot weather try sucking on ice pops if you have the urge to binge to replace smoking, only 9 calories in a box of 40,lol. Feel free to add me.
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    Look up "cream of tartar and nicotine". I havent tried it (yet), but some say it helps flush nicotine from your body.