Pizza and pasta hate me, but I love them D:

Options
Over the past few months, I slowly changed my diet to low-carb. Everything's fine and dandy and I'm happy with how things are at the moment except that I can't seem to eat pasta or pizza anymore without feeling either grossed out at the mealy taste or feeling really greasy (especially in the face) and heavy after I've eaten it. The problem is that both used to be my favourite foods and I can't seem to find a worthy replacement for either. Has any of you experienced the same and do you have some suggestions for healthy, satisfying replacements? I really miss pizza. :(

Replies

• KateRepine
    KateRepine Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't know very much about low carb, but have you tried making your own at home? You could use Flat out wraps with pizza sauce, cheese etc. - At least you could get a taste without the doughy crust.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Just eat the pizza and pasta but in smaller portion sizes. My guess is the change is mostly psychological, and while there are people with genuine gluten issues, it's pretty rare.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Just eat the pizza and pasta but in smaller portion sizes. My guess is the change is mostly psychological, and while there are people with genuine gluten issues, it's pretty rare.

^ This all day
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different brand of pizza or make at home. I find Pizza Hut too mealy to eat and prefer a crust that is dryer and crispier.
  • thunderstruck134
    Options

I tried that too, but it still feels the same. I wouldn't know what psychological factors could be at play here, since I only associate positive things with pizza and pasta. I see both as a treat, normally, especially after a hard workout.
  • JBliss1108
    JBliss1108 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My wife just recently discovered this recipe. We tried it the other night and much to my surprise it was really good.

http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/03/wheres-crust-pizza.html
  • thunderstruck134
    Options
    My wife just recently discovered this recipe. We tried it the other night and much to my surprise it was really good.

http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/03/wheres-crust-pizza.html

That looks and sounds delicious, thanks for the recipe. :happy:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I tried that too, but it still feels the same. I wouldn't know what psychological factors could be at play here, since I only associate positive things with pizza and pasta. I see both as a treat, normally, especially after a hard workout.

People sometimes beat themselves up over food choices that they perceive as "bad." I don't know you so I can't judge but am suggesting that it could be at play here. I've also found that if I cut foods out and then eat a lot of them all of a sudden it can cause digestive issues. That doesn't mean that those foods are "bad" for you. I've seen people switch from low fat diets back to a sensible approach to macros and have a similar result, for example.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    some people like spaghetti squash in place of noodles
  • sportsbc1976
    Options
    I've made pizza with a cauliflower crust instead of the regular crust. I boiled the cauliflower enough to make is squishy, drained the extra water out and added 2 eggs and some spices, I spread it on the pizza pan, cooked it until lightly brown then added my toppings on it, cooked it until the cheese was melted. Tasted great, even my kids ate it. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I've made pizza with a cauliflower crust instead of the regular crust. I boiled the cauliflower enough to make is squishy, drained the extra water out and added 2 eggs and some spices, I spread it on the pizza pan, cooked it until lightly brown then added my toppings on it, cooked it until the cheese was melted. Tasted great, even my kids ate it. :)

cauliflower substitues again!!!!!

Does anyone just eat cauliflower? curious....
  • thunderstruck134
    Options
    It's funny pizza hates you, because it LOVES me!!!! I could never do low carb because I refuse to ever give up pizza.

I was going to say "In b4 some moron suggests cauliflower pizza". But I was to late. There is no substitute for real pizza. Please GTFO with you cauliflower power.
    Maybe I can use cauliflower to gas up my car, apparently its the most versatile product in the universe.

When I started changing my diet I didn't think I had to give up pizza. I thought I could still eat it once in a while but now I can't. :sad:

Lol I think I will give it a shot anyways, same ffor the no-crust pizza.
  • thunderstruck134
    Options
    Also, apparently it's a thing people with Asperger's tend to have, I asked around a bit and my reaction is pretty common.
    Not sure if I have Asperger's (haven't been diagnosed or anything) but I definitely do have sensory issues, so that might be at play here too.

Anyways, recipes and substitutes are welcome. :smile:
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    If it's tasting to heavy then try thin crust pizza or angel hair pasta.