Hair Ties

Options
Anyone out there (ladies or gents) that tie their hair back for a workout and the holder doesn't hold up to a workout?

I'm much harder on hair ties in a workout versus a regular day as I'm tugging my hair band to pull it tight after slipping, or rearranging my ponytail to accommodate a certain exercise, or trying to capture all those stray hairs in the tie again. It's happened twice that the band snaps on me and I'm left with a straight piece of elastic.

I know I could be gentler, or leave my hair down, or cut it short enough that it won't fit in a tie anyway. Assuming I've considered and discarded those ideas, do you have suggestions for me? Perhaps a specific type of hair tie that you find effective? Other ways to tie up your hair?

I was going to title this "hair bands" and thought that might lead to the wrong kind of advice. :wink:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Well, this is a First World Problem if ever there was one.

Can't you just bring a few back-up bands with you? At $3 for twenty of them, you can't really expect them to last very long.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I have short hair (for now, I'm growing it out..I think..) but I've seen the "no slip" rubber bands. They kind of have ridges on them. Have you tried those?
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Scunci No-slip Grip Evolution Jelly Ponytailers <--- I have really thick straigh hair and these don't slip or break at all.

Under 2 dollars at walgreens.

http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-slip-Evolution-Ponytailers-14-Count/dp/B003DKU3CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374016984&sr=8-1&keywords=no+slip+grip
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i just put in 2 at a time, one's bound to hold up....
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do an XL goody elastic around the ponytail and then bun it with either spin pins or claw clips. Wetting the ponytail while bunning helps it hold even tighter. My hair will not stay in a ponytail by itself, its too heavy.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there (ladies or gents) that tie their hair back for a workout and the holder doesn't hold up to a workout?

I'm much harder on hair ties in a workout versus a regular day as I'm tugging my hair band to pull it tight after slipping, or rearranging my ponytail to accommodate a certain exercise, or trying to capture all those stray hairs in the tie again. It's happened twice that the band snaps on me and I'm left with a straight piece of elastic.

I know I could be gentler, or leave my hair down, or cut it short enough that it won't fit in a tie anyway. Assuming I've considered and discarded those ideas, do you have suggestions for me? Perhaps a specific type of hair tie that you find effective? Other ways to tie up your hair?

I was going to title this "hair bands" and thought that might lead to the wrong kind of advice. :wink:

I stick an alice headband on, it keeps the hair out of my eyes.

However, I can't see how long your hair is in your avatar there, if it is long, what about plaiting it?
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the Scunci No-slip Grip Evolution Jelly Ponytailers are awesome!

I have fine slippery hair, ponytail holders always slip. These do NOT slip at all.
  • puckit61
    puckit61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Scunci No-slip Grip Evolution Jelly Ponytailers <--- I have really thick straigh hair and these don't slip or break at all.

Under 2 dollars at walgreens.

http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-slip-Evolution-Ponytailers-14-Count/dp/B003DKU3CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374016984&sr=8-1&keywords=no+slip+grip

I have super thick hair and hair ties were too loose wrapped around twice but didn't stretch enough to be wrapped around the third time. And then I found these. LOVE them! I use one tie over and over again until it breaks, then I get out another one. I think I have gone through a total of five ties in one year. I really like the way they feel too! Hurray for walmart ( that's where I got mine!)
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I hate those silicone jelly ponytail holders. They stick to my hair really bad and are next to impossible to get out of a ponytail. I can get away with using them on the end of a braid.
  • technobunny
    technobunny Posts: 131
    Options
    industrial strength rubber bands, in bulk.
  • TNBelle35
    TNBelle35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I either use a bandana to hold my hear back and keeps sweat out of my eyes with a pony tail or use an octopus hair clip with a head band
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,034 Member
    Options
    Braid your hair. French braid works best for me.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do an XL goody elastic around the ponytail and then bun it with either spin pins or claw clips. Wetting the ponytail while bunning helps it hold even tighter. My hair will not stay in a ponytail by itself, its too heavy.

I do this too! I have hair down to my lower back.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options

I do this too! I have hair down to my lower back.
    My hair is down to my tailbone :)