I am so hungry!

Options
I just started today. I put the settings to lose 2 lbs a week, which puts me at 1200 calories. I just finished dinner, and I am starving!! I don't think I can do this. anyone have similar experiences? I might have to up it to 1600 calories.

Replies

• TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You only have 10 pounds to lose. 2 lbs a week is WAY too fast. No one except the morbidly obese (I once was) should try for that, and even that isn't sustainable long term.

With only 10 pounds to lose, you probably shouldn't try to lose more than 1/2 pound a week or so.

As for not being starving? Fill up on plenty of whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fats, and fruits and veggies. Oh, and drink water to stay hydrated as sometimes you feel hungry when you're really just thirsty.
  • technobunny
    technobunny Posts: 131
    Options
    i smell a troll.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options

As for not being starving? Fill up on plenty of whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fats, and fruits and veggies. Oh, and drink water to stay hydrated as sometimes you feel hungry when you're really just thirsty.

^^^this. eat whole, raw as much as possible. the fiber will fill you up as will the protein and healthy fats. also, yeah, up your calories a bit!
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a good way that some people do it is to calculate their TDEE, and then multiply it by 4/5. That's the amount of calories you need to eat to steadily lose weight. This site'll do it for you: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I swear I was starving the first 4 weeks I was on here. I set my goal at 1 pound per week, but I have a lot more to lose. I learned to eat snacks that were more filling and over time got used to my new eating plan. I do much better now. Make sure to drink plenty of water, it really helps.
  • ssmithbowman
    Options
    why exactly do you smell a troll??

I am a Dietitian so yes I am eating whole grains, fruits, veggies, all the right stuff. I am just still hungry. Think I'm going to up it to 1600. Thanks, everyone.
  • missylee117
    missylee117 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If your hungry, eat.............. plan to lose 1 pound a week, two is really pushing it, if you don't eat you will binge, and thats not what this is about, if your a diatician you should already know this, do it the right way , you will get there. good luck
  • ssmithbowman
    Options
    yes, obviously I do know that I don't want to starve myself. But I was just looking for some advice. I have never tried to lose weight before, I naturally lost 20 lbs after I started my nutrition degree, but then after 2 kids I just have an extra 10-15 that need to come off and aren't coming as easily.

and PS...dietitians specialize. I work in dialysis. I'm constantly telling people to eat MORE. and have zero experience in weight loss. So don't judge me for needing advice ;)
  • ssmithbowman
    Options
    so 25 kcal/kg for me would be 1625 so I think this is what I'm going to shoot for. Hopefully that will allow my weight loss to go at a fast enough pace. I really would like to get this 10 lbs off within the next month or two.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    As some others have said it's not a good idea to try for more than about one pound a week unless you are trying to lose a lot of weight. You want to make it sustainable not unbearable. It's just calories in and calories out. If it's too hard to create a deficit with diet alone then add a couple of days of cardio, walking for about 30 or 45 minutes will burn enough calories, and that along with a good intake deficit should be sustainable.
  • ssmithbowman
    Options
    Thanks! I have been doing cardio and strength training and putting that in too, so hopefully that will help. Unfortunately I only have about 30 minutes a day because of my work schedule, but I do what I can.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Did you eat enough protein? Protein is a satiety macro. With enough you'll feel less hunger.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You might also try increasing your fat macro. I know, I know, it has a lot of calories. But fat is satiating in a way that carbs are not. If my carb intake is very high and my fat intake is very low, I get insanely hungry. Insanely. Dangerous for my spouse and spawn to be around.
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    Like everyone else said, with only 10 pounds to lose, 2 pounds a week would be too fast. Up your calories a little bit (slow and steady is the best way to lose and keep it off). Are you actually hungry or are you just wanting food, because those are two totally different things. Hunger for me is when my belly starts grumbling. Then there's times I eat because I THINK I'm hungry (boredom).

Anyways, WW once taught me that thirst is often confused with hunger. Chug a big glass of water the next time you are "hungry". You might be thirsty (your belly can growl from thirst).
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, with only 10 pounds to lose, 2 pounds a week would be too fast. Up your calories a little bit (slow and steady is the best way to lose and keep it off). Are you actually hungry or are you just wanting food, because those are two totally different things. Hunger for me is when my belly starts grumbling. Then there's times I eat because I THINK I'm hungry (boredom).

Anyways, WW once taught me that thirst is often confused with hunger. Chug a big glass of water the next time you are "hungry". You might be thirsty (your belly can growl from thirst).

KaseyAnne425 is right .. make sure you're well hydrated too.