One Day Break from Dieting

Options
I've been on a diet for the last few months and I haven't given myself a cheat day and I really would love to finally have a meal with rice again. As I've dropped to my goal weight, i feel like I could incorporate at least one day in a week to feel like a normal person again, but would this reverse all my work in the long run?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Why do you think that you can't eat rice on any day?

And if you are at your goal weight, you should set your calories to maintenance.
  • Mariposa_Lily
    Mariposa_Lily Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose a total of 10 lbs (5 down, 5 to go), and I'm petite. So, I'm set at the 1200 calorie level; I do low impact exercise, but seldom eat more than 1300 calories a day total. I say this, because I still manage to incorporate pasta and rice and other grains (plus half a glass of wine, popcorn, frozen yogurt, etc.) on a pretty regular basis. How strict are you being? Are you on an ultra low-carb diet or some other regimen that prohibits all white-ish foods?
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Curious why you call it a "diet" rather than a way of living or healthy lifestyle. Also, why you would still be "dieting" if you are at goal?
  • waniwaniwani
    waniwaniwani Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do eat bread occasionally, so I am not one of those dieters that cuts out all carbs. I'm small sized so changing anything leads to weight being put on almost immediately, and I've been up and down for years and this is the first time I've been able to get here and stay at this weight so that's my concern about it.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Enjoy your rice guilt free.
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Eating rice with dinner should not be a cheat - find a way to work it in. You need to find something that you can live with.
  • digyan
    digyan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you reached your goal weight, then find out your maintenance calories and most likely you can fit rice into it. You were eating at a 300-600 calories deficit and that's 1/2 - 1 cup of rice. The only real concern with reintroducing extra carbs is you'll pick up a few lbs of water weight and a little extra bloat, but that goes away if you drop carbs for a few days.

A ghetto alternative is just crumbling up a few rice cakes (35 calories each), fills up a bowl, heat it a little and lie to yourself that it taste like rice. But you have to turn in your Asian card.