Skinnyfat: calorie surplus or deficit?

Options
If someone is "skinny-fat", just has a few pounds to lose, wants get rid of the flabbiness, gain a bit of muscle, and get strong and toned, should they be eating a calorie surplus or deficit?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    They should be working to replace fat with muscle. It's not about losing weight. You need to do strength training and building muscle doesn't happen at a deficit.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    assuming they are doing some strength training and low intensity cardio
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    i would say a small surplus.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Try maintenance maybe, then slowly up to a slight surplus.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Let me make this more confusing.....slight deficit, along with strength training. It's working for me, at least.
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of protein!!! And lift heavy weights!!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Let me make this more confusing.....slight deficit, along with strength training. It's working for me, at least.

Hmm. I think we've covered everything, lol.

In conclusion: Try all the things for about a month each. Something is bound to stick.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm eating right around maintenance. Sometimes I'm a little under, sometimes I'm a little over; I don't sweat it too much. If I don't like something that's happening to my body, I make an adjustment (a little more strength training, a little less chocolate, or whatever I think I need). It works for me.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Hmm. I think we've covered everything, lol.

In conclusion: Try all the things for about a month each. Something is bound to stick.

Yep, clear as mud! I feel like if you still have a little fat to lose, a slight deficit is the way to go. You're likely to make some newbie gains in strength and get rid of the fat at the same time. That's just my theory, though. I'm testing it. On myself.
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I need to know this too...
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    omg, now i'm really confused!

let's add one more factor to this: I also have high cortisol levels.

the higer cortisol is probably why I gained those extra 15 lbs, and I still have 10 to lose. But I've been doing low intensity cardio for 2 months now, and strength training for 4 weeks, and absolutely no change on the scale. But I think my body is slightly leaner-looking than it was before... i think?

MFP put my calorie goal at 1200, I'm trying to make that goal but I'm usually a couple hundred or so over OR under, averaged out I'm pretty close to 1200 (NET calories). I'm trying to get 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein, but I always end up getting more fat and not making my protein goal, even if I drink 2 protein shakes per day. I will have to start drinking 3 per day I guess.

but i'm still confused about calories lol
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    10% above TDEE and bulk. Once you've built the muscle you need, then cut the fat away.
  • MissKris14
    MissKris14 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yep this is me right now. I've finally hit that point. After being fat for a good portion of my life, I'm now skinnyfat, and getting frustrated when i see that I'm continuing to lose weight, but my body composition isn't changing (I'm still flabby!!). I'm definitely going to up the strength training and see where it takes me, and eat at a smaller deficit than what I have been eating at.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    omg, now i'm really confused!

let's add one more factor to this: I also have high cortisol levels.

the higer cortisol is probably why I gained those extra 15 lbs, and I still have 10 to lose. But I've been doing low intensity cardio for 2 months now, and strength training for 4 weeks, and absolutely no change on the scale. But I think my body is slightly leaner-looking than it was before... i think?

MFP put my calorie goal at 1200, I'm trying to make that goal but I'm usually a couple hundred or so over OR under, averaged out I'm pretty close to 1200. I'm trying to get 50% carbs, 25% fat, 25% protein, but I always end up getting more fat and not making my protein goal, even if I drink 2 protein shakes per day. I will have to start drinking 3 per day I guess.

but i'm still confused about calories lol

If you still want to lose a little bit more before adding some lean mass, i would say go on a small deficit especially if your near your goal. After you're done losing what you want and you're ready to add some lean mass, increase your calories weekly untill your at a small surplus.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance. Give it a month or two and decide where you want to go from there.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to agree with maintenance while building LW. That is what is ultimately going to make you look better having more LW while losing BF. The number on the scale is nearly irrelevant at some point.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about going a few hundred over on your calories, but I would try to increase your protein in take by at least 30-40%( Its also possible that once you increase the protein you wont go over your calories quite as much). I also suggest adding in weight lifting at least 3x a week ( I prefer 4x) and lifting heavy enough to still keep good form. Work to increase your weight over time. Weight lifting and adding muscle is what will change your body and give you that toned body with less jiggle.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of protein!!! And lift heavy weights!!!

strong broscience