Does anyone eat the calories that they are allotted from exe

Options
13»

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    to me, and it's working for me, if you're doing the MFP standard you need to eat at least some back to get over BMR. If you're doing TDEE - a percentage, then you don't necessarily need to, but no harm done if you do eat some back as you'll still be in a deficit.

I'm doing TDEE - 20% and I eat some back maybe once a month but generally I'd rather keep a steady level on what i'm actually consuming.

I don't monitor my net.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Big topic!

I finally paid to take the "metabolic test "at my gym..... They hooked me to a machine while I exercised and also while I rested in a quiet room....it measured my ideal fat burn zones and when I maximize my workouts the best. It also helped to find my resting rates which helped calculate my intake of food needed for a day. I'm 5'3, 175 at the time and pretty athletic and active in my daily activities. It calculated I should eat 1800/ day. This seemed sooo high and at the time I was at 1560 a day and just bumped that up from 1250. It took me a couple of weeks to adjust and my body later thanked me. Breaking my 3 mts + plateau. Saying that....1800 is my net for the day....that's after any exercise! I lost 30 lb in the last year!

All of this can be confusing....at the end of the day it's about healthy food choices and not eating 1000 calories in Krispy Kreme donoughts, but fruits, veggies, proteins, fibers, healthy fats etc. we want to be healthy on the inside and look it on the outside! For years we learned its all about calorie burn, but it's also about blood types, body types, types of workouts and intensity diversity, adding weight training etc. it's not ONE MAGIC ANSWER. That's why MFP is great, u log and track and review over the weeks and see what has worked and what didn't. Making sure u measure inches, weigh and get your body fat% for a full picture! But trying something for a week And saying it didn't work is an epic fail. Stay consistent and eat! Ur body needs fuel....trust the math it works!

Checkout a great forum here on MFP and youtube called EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS, life changer! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYi9xjIRvbY

Also, love Jamie Eason, spokesperson for bodybuilding.com shes amazing! Great free recipes and workouts with videos and a free 90 day challenge. Great way to learn how to add weight training in your regiment! http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html love her Carrotncake protein bars and chili! Yum

Eat up, happy life journey, Shannon

P.s. feel free to send friend request with a message ...open diary and I comment daily and post cool updates :)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    its the only reason i run.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I absolutely eat them back. If I didn't eat more after Insanity, I'd starve. I've lost 4" off my belly in the last month by eating exercise calories back. I'm at a much lower body fat than I was when I lost weight by undereating a few years ago (a practice a highly advise against - it cause numerous problems for me in the short and long term).
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Well everyone says something different but I feel like you shouldnt if you are trying to loose weight. Why eat the calories that you burn?!?

Because MFP already puts you in a deficit to begin with.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    This question gets asked a lot. When you first enter your information MFP puts you at an automatic calorie deficit.

So if it tells you to eat 1200 calories, and you burn 300, you would only be at 900 calories. It is best to eat those 300 calories back and that is the way MFP is set up. If I am under, and have left over calories, I usually make up for it on the weekend when I go out to eat =)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Well everyone says something different but I feel like you shouldnt if you are trying to loose weight. Why eat the calories that you burn?!?

That's what I'm saying lol
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Eh, just so y'all know, the thread is from 2011 and the OP apparently reached their goal.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    MFP already builds in a deficit into your daily calories. To not eat back exercise calories creates an even bigger, and a potentially problematic deficit. For anyone to suggest that you shouldn't eat back at least a conservative estimate of your additional exercise calories is "wrong" and tells me they don't understand how the MFP model works.

^This! It's amazing how many people are on MFP but don't know how it works...(It's totally fine if you are using another method that works better for you, but it's just funny to me that the MFP method is such a mystery to people - I think it's really simple and effective myself. The intro. instructions spell it out pretty well.)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    If mfp tells you to eat them, then eat them.

That's how it works.

Pretty simple, I know.

Good luck on your journey OP
  • schmidty13
    schmidty13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What do I do if I am still trying to burn off the calories I ate two years ago when this post was started? MFP won't let me have a negative calorie target.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

^This! It's amazing how many people are on MFP but don't know how it works...(It's totally fine if you are using another method that works better for you, but it's just funny to me that the MFP method is such a mystery to people - I think it's really simple and effective myself. The intro. instructions spell it out pretty well.)

I joined on the app, there were no intro instructions....