Does my job count?

Options
Hi i am having trouble with deciding if my job counts as exercise
i am currently working at a dry cleaner which aside from being hot
also requires me to stand my entire 6 hr shift as well as constantly lifting clothes or boxes as well as
constantly walking back and forth

I have been using this calories burned calculator http://www.fitnessonline.com/tools/calories/
which says that at my weight for 60 min i burn 328 calories ( im using the light activity option)

idk but when i multiply 328*6 and get 1,968 it just seems like too many calories burned to me

Does this sound about right for the type of work i have someone please help

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    If it something that is part of your everyday life - like your job, you need to adjust your activity level at your goals to more active (there is a description for someone on their feet all day). Only count additional exercise you do that might vary from day to day as exercise.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hi i am having trouble with deciding if my job counts as exercise
    i am currently working at a dry cleaner which aside from being hot
    also requires me to stand my entire 6 hr shift as well as constantly lifting clothes or boxes as well as
    constantly walking back and forth

I have been using this calories burned calculator http://www.fitnessonline.com/tools/calories/
    which says that at my weight for 60 min i burn 328 calories ( im using the light activity option)

idk but when i multiply 328*6 and get 1,968 it just seems like too many calories burned to me

Does this sound about right for the type of work i have someone please help

Yes, it sounds like (and is) too many calories.

No, it doesn't "count" as calories. "Light activity" is where you should be.

Sweat and fatigue have zero bearing on your calorie expenditure.
  • tesha30
    tesha30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well working at a dry cleaners is like sitting in a sauna... its extremely hot in there. I know I worked at one before and with all the running around you have to do... I would think that it burns calories.

I do have to agree with everyone though... you should update your profile to project that you are on ur feet most of the day.. etc etc. MFP will adjust your goals after you input your information.
  • youdith
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for commenting my current setting is at an active lifestyle should i keep it there or go to lightly active which is the one with walking in the description
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Don't count it. just my opinion. I am a nurse and stand for hours and lift and pull and push but my body got used to it.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on whether you do more standing or more walking. I'd err on the side of caution and go with lightly active - you don't want to overestimate the calories you use doing daily activities. If you find you need to change it, then go ahead.

And someone mentioned the heat of the building won't attribute to fat loss, just water weight loss (through sweat). Make sure if that is the case, you're drinking 1-2 more glasses of water a day so that you don't dehydrate, which will stall your progress.
  • Kristinapedia
    Kristinapedia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but I searched for it, because I had the same question. (I guess it's not bad for someone else to see this too, lol)

I work in Retail about 26 hrs/week. I'm on my feet 95% of the time and am walking around all day.

I didn't think my job counted as it would be considered "normal everyday activity".

Calories burned would only apply to anything OVER AND ABOVE what you do NORMALLY everyday.

NOW
    here's another question that's relevant. Since I don't drive and ride my bike about 10 miles a week, do I count that for exercise or do I have to ride my bike MORE than 10 miles/week and only count the OVERAGE for exercise?
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    I think it depends for each person. I spend 6 hours running around a hot kitchen so I know what you mean. I haven't been recording it but I recorded "walking- leisure pace" for a day that I walked around my city for a few hours. You could record it just to see how much you're burning, though.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    My two cents: change your activity level to lightly active or active. If you're just starting out, I'd say go with active. You'll lose weight from the initial change in calorie intake and exercising. If you stop losing weight, then obviously your job isn't as active as I'd like to think, and you can change it to lightly active instead.