What scales do you use?

Options
Robide
Robide Posts: 101 Member
So I have a set of scales that are reaching the end of their life, I've begun to notice huge fluctuations in weight from day to day (I weigh in first thing in the morning, and one day saw a 3KG increase!), so I think it's time for a change.

I've looked at a few of the wireless scales lie the Fitbit Aria, and the Withings scale, but I just don't think I can justify £100 for the luxury of wireless synch!

What scales are people using on here? Keen to get something that can measure body fat %age, Muscle Mass and BMI. I find the idea of being able to estimate hydration/body water levels interesting to see if I am retaining water, but not essential.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The body fat scales (IMO) are pretty inaccurate. Those types of scales have previously given me a very different reading based on the time of day (over 10% difference) and have also vastly overestimated my BF levels (one set told me I have nearly 50% BF, which is not correct). The only thing that can accurately measure your BF levels is a DEXA scan. So I wouldn't buy based on this criteria.

I just have a cheap set of digital scales, they seem to weigh accurately.
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    i use the digital scale at the hospital i work at, even though my home scale says i weigh alot less!
  • r1skbreak3r
    r1skbreak3r Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have some Tanita Innerscan ones that measure body fat, muscle mass, water, bone mass, metabolic rate, etc. They were £100 but I got them on sale for £25 years ago. I find the body fat % thing to vary about 2-3% depending on the time of day, so first thing in the morning it reckons I'm about 17%, whereas if I measure when I get home from work I'm about 15%, which I think is more accurate.

Although you can't rely on the BF% accuracy that much, it is useful for trending, so if you enter your results in MFP you can see that you are making progress. Out of interest I got some BF callipers from Amazon to see what the difference was, but these also vary because you have to be very precise in the sites you use to measure. FWIW I get between 13-14% BF with those.

If you're UK based, these look quite funky for £30: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-BF508-Composition-Monitor-Bathroom/dp/B0033AGBVG/ref=sr_1_2?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1374046720&sr=1-2&keywords=body+fat+scales
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Any common digital scale works .. i'd rather spend the hard earned $ on fresh produce :)
  • clarnimhurchu
    clarnimhurchu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the Tanita BC543 Body Composition Monitor Scale (got on Amazon), and I find them really amazing!

They measure body fat %, muscle mass, water %, metabolic rate and age, bone mass, and do a visceral fat rating. It does depend on your hydration level, the accuracy of the body fat %, but if used at the same time every day you can begin to see downward (or upward :)) trends.
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've always weighed in on the Wii Fit! ( even tho I always had doubts about the Wii's correctness ).
    So I brought the Fitbit Aria wifi scale - started using it, weighed in at same time every Tues, I yoyo'd, +4 /-2 /+ 3/- 4 ect ect for around 8 weeks.

I got to thinking something was not right, So I ran a small test "weighed in 3 times in a matter of minites but I tested it in 3 different positions in same room" , And I got 3 different reading all 1lb in difference, - Then I did the exact same thing on The Wii - I Placed it in the same places as the Aria - It gave me 3 identical readings ? ( all 7lbs LOWER than Aria ) ( I also tested another old scale I have in the back of beyond - Gave me same as the Wii! - Looks like the Wii may have been correct all along! ) The ARIA seems to have too much fluctuation It is very sensitive to environmental's - (I have a hardwood floor with solid concrete underneath, so i no its not weakness in the floorboards) So yeah, I shall not be using ARIA any more!
    (I also dropped by my local Pharmacy and tested my weight on there scale, I was indeed 7lbs lighter than what the Aria reported)
    My advice. AVOID the ARIA, way way to sensative!, go for a basic scale, dont waste your hard earned money!, Wish I hadnt!:frown:
  • r1skbreak3r
    r1skbreak3r Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's interesting to hear about the Aria scales, for the money they charge you'd think they would be decent. I did see a review on Amazon that said their reading improved after a few updates, do you know if yours are fully updated?
  • sylnova
    sylnova Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings Wifi scale which I have been using for a couple of months. It reads about a pound more than my previuos low-cost digital scale, but it agrees with the wii balance board. It is quite sensitive, though. I have tiles on the floor and I have to be careful not to put it across two tiles: the floor is uneven and the measure is not good. I put it on the same tile every time (size is perfect!) and weighings are repeatable now.
  • taniiagirl
    taniiagirl Posts: 47
    Options
    I got a set of digital scales from boots. nothing fancy because student life lol but accurate
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Tanita BC-543 body comp scales. I got mine at Wiggle.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tanita-bc-543-body-composition-monitor/

I have found the weight to be pretty accurate and very consistent. I happened to get them the same week I went for a body comp consultation at the High Performance sports centre at Birmingham University in the UK. I was weighed there on lab scales and compared the reading to my new scales when I got home. I have been for more sessions there and do the same each time and I have never found it to be out more than 0.3lb so I'm pretty happy with that. However I do the same thing as Sylnova and always put it on the same tile in my bathroom to make sure it's repeatable.

The body fat reading is not great though and can fluctuate a few %. I don't use it as an absolute value more just as an indicative value and not read into it loads. Unless you are going to have skin folds measured by a trained professional as I do every month or so I would say looking in the mirror is enough to know if you are losing body fat or not.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Ancient set of analogue scales. Ditched the digital ones a few years ago when theykept arbitrarily adding 1/2lb AFTER bathroom
  • Robide
    Robide Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Very interesting feedback guys, thanks for the input.

I think my mind is largely made up not to go for any of the top of the range scales, I think I'd rather spend that money on either some PT sessions, or on some stuff for my bike to be honest!

I wasn't looking at the fat %age as a golden measure, but I'm keen to look at the trends that come over time, my aim is to significantly lower my fat %age, and whilst I know these wont be 100% accurate, I think it is a useful indicator.

Seems a few of you have the Tanita scales, so I'll check them out. There's also an Ozeri and a Salter set on Amazon that seem to have some good reviews which I will look to compare against!