fitness apps and heart rate monitors

Options
I use My Fitness Pall and I like it
I have been using Runtastic and have bought the "Pro" running and cycle apps and a gold Runtastic membership
I have a Samsung S duos (GT-S7562) android phone running Android 4.0.4

Runtastic works out my calories based on distance travelled, age, sex etc. which it then syncs to MFP
My next step is getting a heart rate monitor and here's where it gets confusing.

Runtastic suggest on their site that I need to buy their HRM with a dongle
Polar say they their HRMs only sync to certain handsets but you need to use their own app (no info on if it syncs to MFP)
Strava runs on most Android phones 4.0.4 or above and sync to most Garmin HRMs (again no info on syncabilty? with MFP)
Addidas do a HRM with an App called Micoach that allegedly talks to Android but suggests it own app

These app / HRM manufacturers want me to use everything in their system because it makes them more money. I have no problem with this. but working in Qatar my purchasing options are limited and I do want everything to eventually sync automatically with MFP.
Can anyone explain bluetooth protocols / offer suggestions

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,672 Member
    Options
    Bump to see answers later. I sync Runtastic to MFP but manually type in numbers from my Polar HRM.
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sorry what does this word 'Bump' that people use in the forums on this site mean?
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sorry forgot my manners
    Thanks for the response
    I can do it manually but if I can find an automated solution that would be better
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Sorry what does this word 'Bump' that people use in the forums on this site mean?

Bump on MFP is so that people can get back to the post later. I use fitbit which syncs with MFP pretty well but also my Polar HRM which I have to enter in manually, it is not that tough and I feel more comfortable with the numbers that my HRM gives me. Good luck to you.
  • klod98
    klod98 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I am new here and I use the Polar FT7. My family enjoys using the fitbit as well. With the Polar watch, a band is included. You strap it around your upper chest and it picks up your heart rate. You can input your body weight, age, gender, birthday, etc. It reads you your heart rate and calories burned through out your workout/run. Onced finished, you hit the stop button and it goes over your workout.
    It'll tell you:
    1.) Calories burned
    2.) Avg. and Max Heart Rate
    3.) Total session time
    4.) How much time you burned fat
    5.) How much time was fitness
    And I think that is about it. It also keeps track of your training sessions and you can go back and check every detail stated above. I highly recommend it. Only downside is having to wear the band when you want it to keep track of your workout. Good luck with your decision.
  • troy0
    troy0 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Any bluetooth heart rate receiver and strap will work with Runtastic and Android (and IOS), the ones on the runtastic site look OK, but get the bluetooth one, not the cheaper one that needs the "dongle" plugged into the phone as well, that would be inconvenient.

The benefit is the HRM will work with most other apps as well, if you change your mind later on. Runtastic is good though.
    wahootfitness.com make them as well, but you might find a cheaper one on ebay. Even Polar make bluetooth receivers, although a majority of theirs use other radio frequencies so make sure you get the right one.

I personally use endomondo with a garmin HRM, the garmin syncs directly with endomondo, which in turn syncs to MFP. A bluetooth dongle would mean you'd be doing the same thing, via runtastic. I don't think there is an HRM watch/strap that syncs directly with MFP, you'll have to go through another app. I recently upgraded to the garmin from a polar and it was kind of annoying that It had to be manually entered, much easier when its automatic.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,672 Member
    Options
    Bring Up My Post.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have the bluetooth Polar HRM (H7 I think) and it does not automatically update to MFP. You have to enter in the data manually. Their app is OK. I'm not sure if it works with runtastic. It does not automatically register with Jog Log or RunKeeper that I use. I do love the Polar products though.
  • Nikusz
    Nikusz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use Zephyr HxM HRM with Digifit app that can sync with MFP (but I use it only in the gym, so no idea how it works with gps if at all). This app also works with Polar Bluetooth + (I think that's how it's called - it is a specific 'uncoded' HRM that works with many different apps) and some other HRMs.
    Before that I used Sportstracker (there are 2 in Android market, I used the one with bluish logo by sportstracklive.com. My SO used to use that app with Zephyr when running and it would draw the tracks, but I don't think it synces with MFP.