Calories you spent on exercise + your daily goal intake?

Options
Hi! I am wondering, I have a heart rate monitor so when I go to the gym I know "exactly" how many calories I spend. But I usually don't insert them on myfitnesspal because I have a 1700kcal daily goal on here, and that takes into account my activity level and etc, so I don't think that adding the 400-500kcal (what I usually spend on weights + cardio) makes sense, because I will probably end up eating many more calories than I am supposed to, because I will be taking exercise into the math twice.

What do you think?

Replies

• xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you work out your daily goal based on an active lifestyle, then you don't need to eat back your exercise calories.

Also, a HRM is not exact, but its as close as you are going to get.
  • AshatanViz
    AshatanViz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Exercise is different from activity. Unless you are basing your daily activity on your gym routine (which you shouldn't be, since that would make you extremely active), then exercise calories should be added to your daily allowance.
  • Ottinger13
    Ottinger13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit to measure my calories burned each day all day. While I know it is not exact, I feel like I can use that daily number and keep my calories under it. In other words, Fitbit says I burned 2000 calories. I want to eat 1250 so I burn more then I eat and lose weight
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    An HRM won't be exact, but it will be close enough.

MFP is designed so that you put in your exercise calories, the activity multipliers on here are for your every day activities, the gym would be additional to this.

I have an office job and end up sitting on my rear for more or less 8.5 hrs.
    So I am set at Sedentary.

A nurse on her feet all day would be alot more active than me when it comes to every day activities.

However, I cycle into work, 22miles in and 22+miles home each day, about 44-50 miles each weekday, which can be about 2600-3000 calories burnt, dependent on how hard I push of course.

That cycling is extra activity/exercise and there may be days when I am not feeling well and cannot get out on the bike.

So I am set at Sedentary due to the fact I work in an office and I then add in my exercise calories.

If I didn't I wouldn't have enough calories to fuel my body and I would eventually hit the wall from over exertion, and you don't want to bonk or faint while riding in fast moving traffic

MFP gives me 1250 calories a day, if I didn't add in my exercise calories of 2600 to 3000 I would soon start to feel very tired, lethargic and my performance on the bike would very quickly detoriate, and my body would just not get the nutrients it needs to sustain that level of activity.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/beat-the-bonk-17082/