Does heat cause weight gain?

Options
I am having the strangest week! It is hot and humid here (as it is everywhere, I think) I've been under on calories all week, and getting my exercise in every day. I'm drinking a lot of water, and sweating just standing still.

Yesterday I weighed myself three times and my scale says I've gained 10 lbs in ONE WEEK!!! It's insane, because clearly I have a calorie deficit because it's too hot to eat anything but ice chips (I havent' even had popsicles or ice cream, just lots of water and ice and unsweetened herbal tea.) and I've been doing at least half and hour of exercise a day.

I'm hoping that when the heat breaks, the scale will make sense again.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Do I need a new scale?

Replies

• BreeFeelinFree
    Options
    You're just retaining water, stay off the scale, only weigh yourself once a week, a better measurement is inches anyway!
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Well it definitely isn't fat, its probably water. As its so hot, your body is probably clinging on to whatever water you give it. I guess give it more and see how you get on.
  • carjohnson2
    Options
    You may have water weight, try drinking more water, if you are not drinking enough. Ironically this may help.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am having the strangest week! It is hot and humid here (as it is everywhere, I think) I've been under on calories all week, and getting my exercise in every day. I'm drinking a lot of water, and sweating just standing still.

Yesterday I weighed myself three times and my scale says I've gained 10 lbs in ONE WEEK!!! It's insane, because clearly I have a calorie deficit because it's too hot to eat anything but ice chips (I havent' even had popsicles or ice cream, just lots of water and ice and unsweetened herbal tea.) and I've been doing at least half and hour of exercise a day.

I'm hoping that when the heat breaks, the scale will make sense again.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    Do I need a new scale?

Good post! I've been wondering the same thing.
  • cef1987
    cef1987 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah, This is true. If your body actually works hard (has a higher metabolism) in hotter and colder climates because it has to work harder to cool or heat up your body. This is why some people train in heat in order to push the body harder.

I agree with the above and would advise to drink plenty of water. Your body gets rid of water easiest and quickest through sweat, urination etc.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    no, the laws of nature are to lay fat in winter and lean in summer! However its hot where I am too, and yesterday I drank a lot of water and had a bloated wobbly tummy , which has magically disappeared today after the gym :)
    My guess is water retention and maybe undigested food depending on what you ate,