4.0 "jogging"

Options
I am trying to be a runner. Mind you I use to be able to only jog/run for a minute on the treadmill and now I can go 11-12 minutes. The problem is that my max speed at this point is only 4.0 This is so discouraging because that's also the speed I normally walk. It is a lot harder trying to jog at that speed for whatever reason. Anyone have any tips for being able to go longer or faster? What did you do and what worked?

Replies

• sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    Listen to your body. Keep running. Speed comes with time... At least it did with me.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K two weeks ago and I have continued running 30minutes, 3x a week since. I also run about 4mph but I've noticed that very slowly my pace is increasing each week without having to do anything in particular. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about speed yet but just focus on endurance and being able to run 30 minutes or so at a time. I think like me and many others, you will find that as your body gets used to running, your pace will naturally increase. I'm no expert by any means though, it's just what I've heard and experienced for myself. Keep running!
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    Just keep running. When I started, I could barely run for a minute at a similar-to-walking pace. 6 months later, I can do 5km in under 30 minutes (which is around 6-6.5 miles per hour). It's just about building up your endurance and letting your body get used to running.
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that responded. I took last night off and plan on running tonight. Hopefully I will be able to go a few more minutes. I think I will reduce the speed a little and work on distance and/or length of time run. Also going to Zumba tonight.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Um run faster? (Sorry. It's a joke between a friend and I. She asked how she can run faster and her husbands response was: Run faster!)

Any way, have you thought about gradually increasing the speed? Say run at 4.0 for three minutes, then up it to 4.5 or 5 for a minute and just keep doing that. Then the next time you run start at a faster speed and do intervals etc. After a while you will run faster it just takes a little time.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Speed takes time and experience. When I got up to 5k last year I was running it in 38.20. I added a fourth day of running a week, kept increasing my distance on my long run, got my weekly average up to 20 miles a week and 4 months later I ran a 5k in 29:52 pushing my daughter in a jogging stroller. Now I'm down to 28:01 for 5k and I average 10 min miles for a half marathon a year later. Time and practice!

Have you considered working from an organized run walk program like c25k? Maybe pick up somewhere in the middle that's comparable to your 10 minutes of straight running? For me, once I got to 15 mins straight, I just added 5 mins to my runs every week until I got to 30, then I just added distance to my long runs, .5 to a mile a week usually. Worked for me.

Good luck! Keep at it!
  • drmcglone
    drmcglone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It just take time! I have been running @4.0 for about several months now. I am gradually increasing to 5.0. Over time gradually increase
    you will get there! Try not to sweat over speed, your running and moving and THAT is all what matters. Good Luck...your doing great!:smile:
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Try the C25K app - - that is what I did because I am not a runner and I actually found I loved the challenge.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. When I started running, 4.0 was the point where I started to run vs. walking. I've been running for about 15 months now and my 'easy' speed is now 5.0 with normal runs between 5.5 and 6. I'm still slow, but I've made significant progress as my endurance has increased. I have not done any speed work - just kept running and adding distance and time.
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Do you use a running app on your phone to track your speed and distance? RunKeeper is great. Download it and take it with you on your runs. Also downloading a really good high energy playlist for music can help.

Good luck! You are inspiring me to get back out there running. Have not ran in a while.
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am currently working up to jogging and my walking speed atm is 5kmph I have to jog at 6 so I am almost there now. Just keep trying at faster speeds a little at a time then before you know it you will be running faster for longer.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Get off the treadmill and go run outside. :tongue: Seriously. I can only run for like 4-5 minutes at 5mph (12 min mile) TOPS on a treadmill, but I can run a full 5k non-stop outside. In fact, just this morning, in 75 degree weather with about 90% humidity, I ran 3.3 miles nonstop in 38:09 - hit 3.1 in 35:44 - that's just over 5mph avg (11:34 avg pace), and was my fastest 5k time ever by 15 seconds. I would DIE (or fall off!), if I tried to do that on a treadmill. :happy:
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I also suggest running outdoors. Or you could try an interval session, something like:

5.0-5.5 mph for 1 minute
    3.0-3.5 mph for 2 minutes
    Repeat for however long

And the same thing will happen that you've already had happen -- slowly you'll increase the duration of the run and decrease the duration of your walk.
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    This is my issue as well...I jog at 4.5 (maybe pushing it to 5 when I want to make sure I hit 2 miles in 30 minutes) for 5-6 minutes then I walk at 3.5. I am trying to be a runner too and I have just signed up for a 5k at the University I work for...uff, so anyways, I think we just need to give it time. I am in sooo much pain mentally and physically when I run but the aftermath from it feels great! Good Luck.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree with most other people on here, that the speed will come gradually, and that you should concentrate more on the distance. We all start out at this speed and build on it - even the top professionals started slow and the speed came later! Think of it as your body getting stronger the more you use it, so the more you run (even slowly) the stronger it is getting, and the easier your runs will become, ie the faster you will manage them. The pace I was told to aim for when starting out was "walking so fast you have to break into a little jog, and still be able to maintain a conversation". I found this really helped me.

And also pushing the speed was what caused my injuries initially, so try to concentrate on enjoying the run for the sake of it, and allow the speed to come later.

HOWEVER... if you do want to improve on your speed, the best way I found was to do interval runs, ie 5mins warm up, 5 mins normal pace, 2mins fast, 5mins normal, 2mins fast, 5min cool down (or something similar timewise according to how long you want to run - the key is running your butt off when you've got a fast bit, and then using your normal pace as recovery. And incidentally, it's the most efficient way to burn the cals off too, so win win :) ) x
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been an off and on runner for over 25 years. In fact 25 years ago, I ran a marathon at an 8:53 pace (about 7 mph). Well I gained a crap load of weight and found MFP over a year ago as a result. I ran a 5K last October at about a 12 minute pace (5 mph). I was real happy with it because I finished! As of today, my best 1-mile pace is up to 8:36 and I completed a 10K two weeks ago at a 9.54 pace. The reasons why I'm spewing out all these numbers are (1) speed does increase just by running more and (2) keep track of your runs, it helps measure progress.

Here's what I do to increase my overall speed. Ever hear of intervals? You have to train your fast twitch (speed) muscles in addition to your slow twitch (endurance) ones. You can start out by simply upping the speed on your treadmill at the very end of your run. With 30 seconds to go in your run just start bumping up the speed by a fraction at a time, until you are running about as fast as you can safely. Run at that speed for about ten seconds, then slow down to a recovery jog/walk. You should be really huffing.

Better yet, get off the damn treadmill and hit the road, Jack!. Your running will get stronger and faster and you will improve so much faster than on that thing. I use mine only as a very last resort. If you are outside, just pick a distance of one telephone poles or, if your utilities run underground, a couple of driveways. Increase your speed until you reach a dead run, then back off to a jog/walk. After a while you will be searching out a track to time 1/4 mile intervals! Keep track! You'll be amazed at the results.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    most runners did not wake up one morning and decide to run 13 miles in an hour and a half.

walks will turn into jogs, and then jogs will turn into runs. and then you can decide where to go from there.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    First of all if you run, no matter how long or how slow, you are a runner. If you want to be better, get outside and start running. It will be harder than the treadmill, initially, but will become easier. Look into couch to 5K, it is a great program that combines running and walking to get you running farther and faster. But absolutely get outside!

You can add me as a friend if you'd like too! Anyone can!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Work on your endurance first, THEN speed. If someone would have told me this when I first started running, I'd be so much further now. Just keep running at your 11 - 12 minute miles, then gradually increase your speed (just a little) and run/walk it for a certain amount of time. Continue that until you can run the entire time without walking/stopping and then bump up your speed a little more for the same amount of time. I don't know how that would work on a treadmill, but this is what I do when I run outdoors and slowly, but surely I'm working up my mileage. Good luck!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who run slower than they walk. Running is a whole different animal. Many people tell me I run fast, but it is easier for me to run than to walk fast because I have a hip issue that seems to stabilize when I run vs get worse when I try to walk very fast. There's no right speed -- if you are doing it at all, you are doing it right! There is a right form and a right breathing method, and a right pair of shoes, but no right speed!

I 100% agree with the running outside if you can. I cannot maintain a steady speed to save my life on a treadmill. I get winded and have to slow way down. Outside I run 5K in 30 minutes. Speed up slow down speed up slow down.