What does it mean to "eat at a deficit"????

Options
Hi,

Can someone please explain to me what it means to eat at a deficit???

Thanks!

Replies

• gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    less than needed to maintain your current weight, that is if you want to lose weight.
  • sararoy1981
    Options
    Woohoo!!! Thank you!!! A simple sentence that I understand!

So if I need 2000 calories to maintain this weight then I need to have less than that to lose weight? Is that right?
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a certain amount of calories to maintain its current weight - this is your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). To eat at a deficit means to eat a quantity of calories below your TDEE. In order to lose weight, you must eat at a deficit. If you eat above your TDEE, you will gain weight.
  • cmeiron
    Options

So if I need 2000 calories to maintain this weight then I need to have less than that to lose weight? Is that right?

Correct.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Exactly....but too big of a deficit can also be counterproductive to your goals. If your deficit is too large you lose more LBM and muscle than you otherwise would.

The calorie goal MfP gives you has a built in deficit from a maintenance level of calories...MFP's goal is NET of exercise which is why MfP has you eat back exercise calories to avoid being at too large a deficit.
  • sararoy1981
    Options
    Thank you. What is LBM though???

I see what you mean about eating back exercise calories - I haven't been eating mine thinking it would help me lose weight but I understand now that it doesn't. Thank you!
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Thank you. What is LBM though???

I see what you mean about eating back exercise calories - I haven't been eating mine thinking it would help me lose weight but I understand now that it doesn't. Thank you!

Lean body mass. Usually that refers to muscle. You don't want to lose that. :)
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Don't forget "adaptive thermogenesis"... as one loses weight, one's body expends less energy than it did before to do things like stand up, sit down, walk to meet one's crack dealer (i.e. McDonalds), which is why weight loss slows as one gets closer to one's ideal body weight.