Just joined...need a buddy or support or both.

Options
Hi, my name is Nikki and I just joined this group. I have struggled with my weight all my life. I have went from being a little overweight to a lot overweight and I know almost weigh as much as I did when I was nine months pregnant...and I'm not pregnant. I know I need to make a change and have known for a while but when it comes to actually making the change I always flake out. I don't know what to do. I know if I continue eating like this and not exercising I am going to run into health problems. I have two little boys and I want to be there for them and to be able to keep up with them. Does anyone have any advice, tips or support? I need a push in the right direction. Thanks!!!

Nikki

Replies

• hotforty
    hotforty Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nikki,
    I know how you feel!!! Your in the right place Trust Me, I Lost 12lbs in 2 weeks!!! If I can do this so can you. Be true and count your cals and it will melt off!!! Good Luck Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!:happy:
  • tammylober
    Options
    Hey Nikki. Welcome to the forum. First of all, surround yourself with people who will encourage and support you. Join online forums. Seek out people who have the same goals as you. You'll pick up their positive energy! Try and read a motivational book every night, at least 10 pages. It will make a huge difference. Hope this helps!
  • cdsledge09
    cdsledge09 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! Glad you're here. You won't find a more supportive community. I wish you the best in your efforts. Please feel free to friend me if you like.

:flowerforyou:
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    This is a good place to be. This is probably the best food tracker I have come across, but if information is what you want, SparkPeople.com has a lot more information on how to loose weight. But to get you started I have four recommendations:

1) Honestly keep track of all the food you eat. I wouldn't worry too much about staying within the calorie count to start, but to gain a baseline for where you are. After a week or two, set your goal of where you want to be, weight wise. The recommended rule of thumb is not to loose more than two pounds a week. Also start going through your kitchen and pantry and substituting the less healthful food with more fruits and vegetables. If you work, make sure you keep healthy snacks nearby so that you can resist the vending machines or other temptations that might come in and to satisfy the munchie cravings.

2) Drink plenty of water. I'm not saying you need to drink a gallon every day, but you want to at least get the recommended 8 glasses of about 8 oz. a day. Once your body knows that it will be properly hydrated, it will cease storing water weight and that will lead to a quick loss of weight to start off with.

3) Begin a fitness routine that consists of cardio and some form of strength training. Muscle burns more calories than fat so you want to be building muscle at the same time you are trying to loose weight so you raise your basic metabolic rate (BMR) goes up. That being said, there may be times when you step on the scale and find that your weight has either gone up or remained unchanged. Do NOT let this be a deterrent. Muscle does weigh more than fat, so if you don't see a change, it is more likely that you are building muscle than retaining fat. You should also take a measurement of your arms, thighs, and waist so that you can see changes there as well as the scale.

That should be the mindset you start out with. This isn't just about loosing weight, but improving health. These 3 things have helped me loose 20 pounds and life is good.

Good luck to you in achieving your goals. You can do it!
  • SBecken87
    Options
    thats a great post, lots of good helpful tips. welcome to the groupi add me as a friend :)
  • krizrose
    Options
    I agree...lots of great advice!!! These people are here to help and are very encouraging!!! I've only been here for three days, but it's sooooo encouraging being here!!!!!!
  • AspiringYogini
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! Such great advice!!! You are all so helpful. Congrats to all you on making this positive change. I know I will be on here alot. I did better today. Not ideal but much better than the others. Yesterday I counted everything I'd eaten and I was nearing 3000 calories....omg how did I eat that much!!! Fast food is why. So today I watched myself and today I'm at 1600, much better:) Thanks for the support.
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome :flowerforyou:

You've made the right step forward and here is the best place to start :bigsmile: You will receive lots of support and friendship which in my mind is priceless :heart:

Best of luck :drinker:
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikki,

You say you know you need a change but usually flake out... but by joining this site, you are taking the first step! Just take one step at a time and be patient with yourself. :)
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi Niki,
    Welcome to MFP! joining this site is one of the best things you have ever done! I would love to help you in any way I can. Send me a friend request!
    Stay strong and use this site everyday.

Molly
  • hey omg eh this is just looking awesome :)
    wow
    how much weight you wanna lose?
    i wanna lose about 65 pounds maybe 55
  • this is such an amazing group. what a great idea
  • AspiringYogini
    Options
    Hey all!!! Thanks so much for all the support. I want to lose about 85 pounds all together. But any loss at this point is a victory. I just want the scale moving in the other direction. I work in cosmetics and like seems to be about looks and being heavy never helps. Anyway, I'm mainly doing this to get healthy and to truly love me for me. I appreciate all the support, you all are amazing!
  • paulagamble
    Options
    we all have struggled but its a new day....when you fall off get right back on and dot it for yourself...
  • gilliland24
    Options
    you will do great!! and it helps to have a good support system, ive lost 92 pounds in the last year n a half, and wouldn;'t have been able to do it if i didn't have the support system that i do!