c-section jelly belly

Options
hi, just wondering if anyone knows what kind of exercise would help with my C-section jelly belly, every time I've lost weight in the past my belly just looks worse, its just loose saggy skin and its horrible, it actually puts me off losing weight, so this time around I'm hoping I can change that with the help and advice from others, all suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    There aren't specific exercises that will remove "saggy skin". The body removes fat from wherever it wants, no matter what part of the body you're working.

With that said, you can lose fat faster than skin recovers. From what I understand it takes time for the elasticity in the skin to recover and return the area (as best it can) to it's previous state.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy,
    surgery,
    deal with it.

whatever works.
  • ckess617
    ckess617 Posts: 69
    Options
    While the "saggy skin" doesn't always go away (sorry; I've had a c-section too, so I feel ya on the frustration), reverse crunches seems to be working for me....tummy is shrinking for sure. Just be sure to breathe! It can be a hard movement, especially if you're not used to it, and when that happens, we tend to hold our breath.

HTH, and best of luck!!! Keep with it!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding and taking care of babies
  • suzannnicole
    suzannnicole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Spanx!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 sections and it got worse after the second one. It is like I have 2 stomach's and upper and lower. I would probably have to have surgery to get rid of mine, but i was very obese when I had both of mine.

I would focus on getting healthy. Eventually as we all age everything will start sagging. I'm just going to try to get used to it.:laugh:
  • ashale60
    ashale60 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have had two c sections and still have loose skin im pretty sure surgery is the only way to get rid of it. but crunches and weights will defiantly help what it can.goodluck
  • helz21
    helz21 Posts: 11
    Options
    While the "saggy skin" doesn't always go away (sorry; I've had a c-section too, so I feel ya on the frustration), reverse crunches seems to be working for me....tummy is shrinking for sure. Just be sure to breathe! It can be a hard movement, especially if you're not used to it, and when that happens, we tend to hold our breath.

HTH, and best of luck!!! Keep with it!

thanks I will give that a good try!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Try the Davina McCall "Body Buff" DVD - I've just started doing it (and my saggyness is nearly 14 now!) and it includes some really tough crunches - and reverse ones - and specific targets for core strength (very important for us ladies!) I can't say I'm loving it right off, but it is effective.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Since I'm a guy giving advice here, I'm going to get skewered, but here it goes.

Ab (core) exercises don't tone/reduce the area. It builds core strength, (and some core muscle) but that's it. That's like saying doing curls removes fat and loose skin from the biceps. It doesn't.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section as well. No ab workout is actually going to help with saggy skin. Slow and steady weight loss and strength training will do wonders. I'm pretty happy with my tummy now :)
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.

+1
    I had my daughter via C-section 03/20/12. Heavy Lifting has done more wonders for my "c-section jelly belly" in just a few months than a year of cardio ever did for it.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    But if you're stonger underneath the skin it does help. I've done various core-strngthening as I've lost weight and it does have a "lifting" effect which cardio alone won't have.

But Zumba is pretty amazing too!
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    C-section mom here too. I do sit-ups on the couch while my son holds down my feet. Sounds crazy and not like real exercise to some, but it's always helped. The couch (or bed) makes it easier on my back. I can manage 100-125 in 10-20 increments. It's been a decade since I lost a ton of weight (which I gained back) so I forget exactly how my own jelly belly looked back then. All I remember is that it did help take off inches.

No way can I afford surgery and with my arthritis and sciatica, I can't do heavy lifting, so it's sit-ups and low-impact aerobics for me right now.
  • helz21
    helz21 Posts: 11
    Options
    Since I'm a guy giving advice here, I'm going to get skewered, but here it goes.

Ab (core) exercises don't tone/reduce the area. It builds core strength, (and some core muscle) but that's it. That's like saying doing curls removes fat and loose skin from the biceps. It doesn't.

I'm grateful for any advice, thank you
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

No skewering for you. You speak the truth.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    yup. you can't target reduce.

just keep with a slow/steady loss. It'll come off if it does. Lowering the overall body fat percentage is gonna be the winner.

Heavy lifting is awesome and will give you a much better body than someone else that may lose the same amount of weight as you.
  • vwchic05
    vwchic05 Posts: 3
    Options
    I definitely feel ya on that one. I had a c-section too and my belly had never been the same. But since I've lost weight, its definitely gotten smaller. My husband says the only way to get rid of belly fat is to do a lot of cardio, HIIT, so that's what I'm doing now. So far, I can feel the fat melt. I have not done any crunches or situps since that doesn't really melt the fat, it just strenghtens your core. But I do planks, and I'm starting to see a little definition.

Just keep doing what you're doing, and it will melt away somehow :-)